Heatwave on its way South of France 20.08.11

Yes, positively chilly around here at only 37C-ish.

When it's like this, one's only serious effort is to get out of a shady chair and hit the pool!

I always tell people to avoid the South in the 2nd half of August, because the weather 'breaks'. Shows what I know.

[quote user="Gardian"]

Yes, positively chilly around here at only 37C-ish.

When it's like this, one's only serious effort is to get out of a shady chair and hit the pool!

I always tell people to avoid the South in the 2nd half of August, because the weather 'breaks'. Shows what I know.

[/quote]

Maybe you're not so far off the mark, Gardian; I see that there's rain forecast for that area after a couple of days! But only a shower in the Gard though.

Here in SE England, we were almost tempted to put the central heating on yesterday evening! We'd been near Bristol for the day, having driven through pouring rain to get there. It was better on the return trip, but not very pleasant. It was 11 degrees, and my hands were turning blue/white; I put an extra top on, but gloves are packed away in cupboards for the 'summer'!  I really pitied all those on holiday - imagine being in a tent! [:(]

Today is much better; lots of sun and temperature around 21.

Yesterday looked to be the first day of summer in Picardie, the sun was out from early morning but it was not to be, the clouds soon closed in followed by yet more rain, same again this morning although it is now clear.

We are nearly at the end of August and I have only been able to eat outside once this year, and that was in the spring!!

My VMC hygrofuge has been running pretty much constantly on the 2nd (humid setting) speed for several months although in spring it was the other way around.

Not that I am overly fussed about the weather, it has not prevented me from doing anything to date.

Well, here in Lot-et-Garonne it is 34 degrees outside and 28 degrees indoors with humidity of 70%. The little face on my weather station display looks very glum --- so if it gets hotter will it become even more humid? I can stand heat when it is not opressive ...

Still, the washing dries quickly but then there is the ironing!

Is it just me or is it really humid?  When we had the 40 degree weather a few weeks back it was warm but bearable, now though I get out the shower and the effort of drying my self off makes me sweat so much I need another one!  Really hot and sweaty the past few days :-(

Yes, Crossy, it's really humid!

I have put on something flimsy after my shower a few minutes ago and taken a walk outside but outside is as warm as inside so I have come in to have a chat with you all on the Forum and to have the fan playing on me and the computer because that's been overheating as well!

When we lived in Hong Kong the temp in Jun/jul/aug would be 40+ with 100% humidity BUT it builds up slowly through the early summer and everywhere is air-conned. Here it just seems to come from nowhere and virtually nowhere is air-conned so even though it's cooler and drier we find these hot spells hard to take!

"We're havin a heat wave
A tropical heat wave
The temperatures rising, it isn't suprising"            as Marilyn Monroe sang it ... 

I wouldn't say lucky you all that have so much sun and heat as I know you are desperate for a drop of water... Still I am envious as here, in this part of Wales, it's been a non-stop drizzle and rain for about 2 months or so. About one day in 4 has been dry ...ish. Or in perspective this is the 5th summer in a row where I haven't been able to sit outside in the evening [:(] and enjoy watching the swallows, the swifts snooping, fleeting around the garden and the field below, darting in and out of their nests under the eaves of the barn.  They'll soon be gone too as they normally leave this area around 2nd week of September back on their long flight to Africa.

I might follow them as one of my fledgeling lives over there ...

[quote user="JK"]When we lived in Hong Kong the temp in Jun/jul/aug would be 40+ with 100% humidity BUT it builds up slowly through the early summer and everywhere is air-conned. Here it just seems to come from nowhere and virtually nowhere is air-conned so even though it's cooler and drier we find these hot spells hard to take![/quote]

I can usually take the heat ..but .. Hong Kong was the one place I have been that drove me indoors. 

I believe the finest inventions of mankind to be Air Conditioning  and the Mozzy Net . 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I have put on something flimsy after my shower a few minutes ago and taken a walk outside but outside is as warm as inside so I have come in to have a chat with you all on the Forum and to have the fan playing on me and the computer because that's been overheating as well!

[/quote]

That quote is nothing without a picture 'sweet'

[:P][:D]

Raining again here, so far this summer we have had hottish weather on only 3 days, 1 of which was punctuated by showers the other had storms all afternoon.

I can live without blazing sunshine and would be quite happy to have every summer like this one in return for the spring we enjoyed.

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

That quote is nothing without a picture 'sweet'

[:P][:D]

[/quote]

I don't wish to frighten the horses, or even the humans on here, Bugs!

To (mis) quote Cameron, I was "fried" yesterday and the day before and the day before that.  At one point, like the poor old dog, I didn't know what to do with myself, couldn't settle anywhere, couldn't sit down, couldn't lie down, couldn't stand up, couldn't eat, certainly couldn't sleep and even a glass of pastis had palled.

We have a lovely cool room downstairs but we had a visitor so that room was given to him for the 3 days of the canicule.  Now he's gone home, there is a nice cool wind and I don't think I will need his room tonight.

I can honestly say I have never experienced oppresive, humid weather like that, not even in the far East.  So, I shall be looking to fit one of those climatisation thingies before next summer.  Watch out for the questions on that one![:D]

Just John beat you to it, Sweet!  [:D]  http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2598080/ShowPost.aspx

I was very interested in the discussion, as we also  really need a cooling system for next year. I was pleasantly surprised at prices, as OH was talking about €1000 maybe!

Glad to hear the weather has cooled a little where you are. Here at home in UK it's been very changeable - some pleasnt days, others cool and quite wet - it was 11º

during the day on Thursday - and it just poured! Today is pleasantly warm and sunny, but heavy rain forecast for this evening - maybe! [:)]