DSK, can we believe this?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why but I have a funny feeling about this but then I may be wrong. It feels like a setup but by whom, both the French and Americans would have totally different reasons for setting him up. I notice John Lipsky has taken over from DSK at the IMF, now he is an interesting chap having worked for some of the leading American banks.

I guess we will just have to sit and wait to see what happens but he is now b*ggered as far as running for French President is concerned that's for sure and I doubt that John Lipsky will be as favorable towards Europe as he was.

Interesting stuff, isn't it...

I would like to comment on Lori's and 5-element's posts above...

Re: Lori's - yes, you would think people would learn from the downfall of others, just what is wrong with them? That is, of course, assuming the facts as supplied by the media are correct. If they are proved to be correct, he deserves everything he gets. But it just amazes me that such an apparently intelligent man would do this - dragging the woman along the hallway and trying to lock her in a bathroom - and even remotely think he would get away with it. Are these the facts, or an exaggeration of the facts, or a made-up story? None of us know the answer to that, we can only make guesses.

Re: 5-element - I agree, it has never ceased to amaze me how a man in this situation is treated. We saw him in cuffs and bundled into the back of a car before any forensic testing, so all this was happening on the word of the hotel maid. And this is what happens the world over when a man is accused of this type of offence. Even if he or others in this situation are completely exonerated from all charges, many members of the public will always see them as guilty.

I am not sticking up for this man and knowing police procedures as I do, both in the UK and America, I am sure they feel they have a good case against him. But, as has been said, is their early behaviour a bit OTT? It is, but always is in these cases.

If he is guilty, lock him up for however long is deemed necessary. If he is innocent, he will never recover from this.

[quote user="Mel"]Re: 5-element - I agree, it has never ceased to amaze me how a man in this situation is treated. We saw him in cuffs and bundled into the back of a car before any forensic testing, so all this was happening on the word of the hotel maid. And this is what happens the world over when a man is accused of this type of offence. Even if he or others in this situation are completely exonerated from all charges, many members of the public will always see them as guilty.

I am not sticking up for this man and knowing police procedures as I do, both in the UK and America, I am sure they feel they have a good case against him. But, as has been said, is their early behaviour a bit OTT? It is, but always is in these cases.

If he is guilty, lock him up for however long is deemed necessary. If he is innocent, he will never recover from this.
[/quote]Cuffing a suspect seems to be standard procedure for american police. Still I suppose with so many fire arms around they feel it is better to be safe than sorry. The doctrine of "Innocent until proved Guilty" seems to be forgotten nowadays especially by large sections of the media.

[quote user="just john "]Whilst the charges are of course serious, was it really necessary the way the police arrested a man of his calibre publicly from a plane;[/quote]

I suppose if they had not taken him off of the plane then he would have flown to France and then the US would have had to instigate extradition proceedings which could have been long drawn out.

Paul

[quote user="just john "]Whilst the charges are of course serious, was it really necessary the way the police arrested a man of his calibre publicly from a plane; and again publicly 'exhibiting' him with his hands handcuffed behind his back surrounded by police during his transfer. He has been charged, but hardly a public danger? Where could he run? How does this stand with the presumption of innocence?[/quote]

The French news reporters have been at pains to point out that he is not being treated any differently than any other suspect would be in the same situation.

http://twitter.com/#!/jonswaine

As an aside, there's a fair chance he might not be bailed, as the US has a bad memory of Polanski "fleeing justice".

The French woman writer who was allegedly assaulted by DSK in  2002 has now made an official complaint.

French reports now saying medical reports support the victim's testimony and that SDK's defence might consider a guilty plea to some charges.

And if the alleged victim is making this up, I am confident she will be found out and charges will be filed.  I'm sure the defense lawyer and his team will be looking under every rock this woman ever stepped on.  If the charges are true, I feel sorry for her.  It takes a lot of courage to go through with filing the complaint.

Is it possible someone else, of a similar stature/look, was in his room and attacked this woman?  Articles indicate he said he was not at the hotel at the time of the attack.

Surely at the time of the hospital visit, the woman still had some DNA under her fingernails, etc.

[quote user="just john "]

It never rains but it pours

Lawyer David Koubbi says Tristane Banon wants to file a legal complaint against the International Monetary Fund chief whom she branded a "rutting chimpanzee"

[/quote]

That's OK! Not a bonobo then!

Chimps are not so ardent.