Brive, Nantes, Deauville or Paris

kathyc

Hi, I'm looking for some help from anyone with a knowledge of different areas of France.  I have won a couple of airline tickets and can choose any of the destinations shown above. My husband and I would like to make a break of around a week from these flights but are struggling to decide which destination to choose. I'd really appreciate any help or info anyone can give.

Yes, I'd choose Brive as it's the furthest from the UK so you'd get more air miles for your tickets?[:D]

Only joking, I'd choose Brive because I have heard nothing but good things about it and I want to visit the Corrèze.

Yes but she will like the place and want to come back, tell all her friends and in no time the supermarket carparks will be full of 4x4 heaps flying the red cross.

Where will it all end?

John

p.s. Brive airport is on the border of Lot and Correze so if kathy turns the wrong way she will be in 46 straight away

Nantes came first in a quality of life listing.  I was there in April visiting a friend.  Pedestrianised centre (and when crossing roads pedestrians get priority - whatever the circumstances).  Good transport (trams), castle well worth a visit (we did not have time for the museum) and close to Brittany and beaches if needed.  Jules Verne connection.  Plus all the chateaux of the Loire in easy distance if needed.  Pleasantly warm but not oppressive (as is now down here), so I would tie that with Brive as a possibility.

Paris is much better reached by train, and Deauville at this time of year will be heaving with the French on holiday, The season is short on the Normandy coast and out of season Deauville will be almost closed down.  But then, I don't like seaside places particularly - but if I was going to visit the Normandy coast Deauville is not the place I would chose, there are much nicer places, Caen, Cherbourg, Honfleur, Bayeux etc.

[quote user="Richard51"]

Isn't the new Brive airport also being marketed as a gateway to the Dordogne? [6]

[/quote]

But of course - I drove to Brive from Lot and Garonne, just the other side of the Dordogne, in no time at all, so quite probable, and for some parts of it, nearer than Bergerac.

Excellent idea.  Two of our favourite places are Swanage & Stow on the Wold.  We would like to stay in a nice interesting town as a base for a week in September.  From there we would like to be able to travel to see other towns nearby for shopping and sightseeing preferably by public transport as I do not really want to drive.  Nearby beaches would be an added bonus although not essential. We love staying in Nice and are able to travel up and down that beautiful coastline by a most efficient transport system.  Hope this helps and gives a few more clues to what we are looking for.  Thanks for responding. 

Kathy

Maybe I should just ditch the tickets John, don't want to get in the way !! Second thoughts I feel sure there must be room in these lovely places for 2 more little ones and it is only for a week.

I appreciate your response. Thanks.

Hi Judith

You sound as if you know France quite well. I have only visited Nice and surrounding area so the rest is unknown to me. As you were there recently would you mind if I asked you a few questions about Nantes? You mentioned a tram system which sounds very interesting, the one in Nice is excellent. Is the transport generally good enough to get about without hiring a car? You mention lots of places to visit could we do those on public transport? Could you recommend any particular area of the city to stay in? Do you happen to know approx how far the town is from the airport?

Thanks for responding,

[quote user="kathyc"]

Excellent idea.  Two of our favourite places are Swanage & Stow on the Wold.  We would like to stay in a nice interesting town as a base for a week in September.  From there we would like to be able to travel to see other towns nearby for shopping and sightseeing preferably by public transport as I do not really want to drive.  Nearby beaches would be an added bonus although not essential. We love staying in Nice and are able to travel up and down that beautiful coastline by a most efficient transport system.  Hope this helps and gives a few more clues to what we are looking for.  Thanks for responding. 

Kathy

[/quote]

Swanage...nice place.....lived there from 1943-1958.

Nantes Airport to city.....lifted from a composting thread.

Nantes is a good example; on boarding the No 37 bus at the Airport to proceed to the nearest tramway terminal, etc, etc a ticket for € 1,50 is purchased

when the ticket is composted on the machine in the bus, the time and date is printed on the ticket; I always compost at the last possible moment as the driver close the door.

The reason is that the ticket can be used for a period of ONE HOUR on any form of public local transport within the Nantes agglomeration; this by the way includes local train services.

KathyC,

Thank you for the compliment - though there are parts of France I do not know at all well, it so happens that I have been at some time to those areas you quote.  (And I don't know Nice at all:)!).

The hour limit on the tram in Nantes is certainly true, but since I last used the airport (almost 30 years ago, to go for my friend's wedding), I cannot help that way.  The tram / bus in Nantes certainly goes all over the city (which extends some way further than the city boundary - my friend lives in one of the villages to the north, which is served by some transport, but she drives to a near point in the city, so that she get a better choice of routes.  However, except for Paris, I don't think you would find a better public transport system in Deauville or Brive (though  I stand to be corrected).

Since Nantes is a student city, I feel sure there will be other ways to explore (tourist buses trips) but I don't know personally (we used a car for our trips out).  I've just done a quick search:

http://www.tan.fr/ should give you info on  transport in Nantes. 

and http://www.nantes-tourisme.com/49748085/1/fiche___pagelibre/ gives you tourist info - that should be a start for you. 

It is certainly a big enough city to give a choice of things to do.

Having said all that, Brive is in a lovely part of the world - but my suspicion is that if you wanted to depend on public transport there to get about , it would be much more difficult.  If you like Stow (so do I) you would like Brive, and if you like the coast, presumable Deauville would suit.

Oh dear, I am just making it worse for you....... sorry.

Judith you have helped me a lot.  I think on the basis of yours and other responses that I have received I am going to opt for Nantes.  Without the use of a car the efficiency of the public transport system will be crucial and it seems Nantes will be the best for that as well as being an ineresting place to visit.  Just need to book my flights and hotel now.

Thanks to everyone who has helped. 

Kathy

You are going to love Nantes, we live in La Baule 40mins away and feel very lucky,ag city with everything, shops, monuments, quaint streets and all types of restaurants and bars. one hour to Saumur, with its pretty chateau on the Loire and the lovely beaches of La Baule, Croisic and Le Pouliguen, all less than an hour away by train direct from Nantes. Enjoy