Recent Ryanair Cabin Baggage Experiences

If you stop looking for logic it all becomes clear.

Last Summer most UK airports had a "only one item of handbaggage through the scanner rule"..so

Handbag = handbaggage.

Coat turned into Pouch = handbaggage.

Coat not turned into pouch =   not handbaggage.

I know this nonsense tests everybodies patience- you ought to try putting up with this every time you go to work  [:'(]. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'd be like the "no scissors" rule, then. On one of my relatively frequent trips to Paris, again last year, I had my briefcase as my one item of handbaggage. I left Heathrow, arrived in Paris, came back to Roissy, and was stopped at the scanner by a very nice security man who said "madam, do you realise you've got a gigantic pair of scissors in your bag?"

He was right. I had. They'd travelled with me from the UK, as they were in my briefcase and had slid down to the bottom of an inside pocket and hadn't come to light when I'd emptied and repacked it. Oh well.

While I'm in the mood for it, I'll raise you:

"Sir, there is a rule - no empty liquids containers with a Capacity of more than100 ml ...."

"Why?"

"Because you might fill it up with more than 100 ml of liquids when you go airside ".

"But that liquid will (alledgedly) have been screened by you"

"That doesn't matter Sir, hand it over"

And........

"I going to confiscate your anti-perspirant  gel sick".

"Why"?

"Because if you heat it up it will turn into a liquid"

I am most definitely not joking....[:'(][:'(]

P.S. One more incident springs to mind - A colleague of mine was being screened and Security found a packet of  powdered sports drink additive in his briefcase.  They confiscated it on the grounds that if he added water to the powder it would become a liquid......

I'll repeat what I've said numerous times before, wear a light coat with BIG pockets !

I do it all the time and carry in one of the pockets a small packaway rucksak. Once past security out comes the rucksack, in goes the coat complete with contents of pockets, plus magazines, airport purchases WHY.

Unless you're really taking the p155 the airplane staff won't be in the least bit bothered how many bags you're toting and are not going to make a fuss which could potentially delay departure.

When not travelling for work, I do the same (hand luggage - usually very easy if I'm going to our French house). When travelling for work in my previous job, I could easily do a fortnight's business trip with hand luggage. Now, when I travel for work I sometimes manage, but my job occasionally involves carrying some odd (and quite bulky) stuff. So far it's been OK, but I look forward to the day when someone pulls me over and asks to see the contents of my carry-on bag and finds I'm travelling with 15 cosmetic mirrors and an equivalent number of bow ties.[:D]

To be absolutely fair to airport security staff there are people out there who want to kill us. There were 327 charges of terrorism up to March 2007. I know it doesn't excuse officiousness, but it is a very responsible job.

Hoddy

I am having this really seriously large coat made with a lot of very big pockets on the inside to carry shoes, clothes, books, laptop, dead ferret ect. I bet it won't be long before Ryanair start to weigh everyone and charge by weight.

Must get my son to get a job in Dublin I think. just booked a flight for him Liverpool to Limoges flight cost 16.00GBP then we have 41.00 taxes (what I don't understand - it is 31.00 to fly out and ony 10.00 to fly back!!) Okay I'm fine with all that, but what really gets me is 16.00 to check a bag and THEN 8.00 Airport Check-in fee. You have to use airport check-in if you have a checked bag, you can't use internet check-in. So instead of wrapping it all up with a few pounds here and a few pounds there, why dosen't Mr O'Leary just come clean and say 24 quid to check one bag??

Just a small foot note - to P2 - thanks for your support, I am convinced Ron Avery is O'Leary's twin brother. By the way Ron, any suggestions on flights from Liverpool to anywhwere within striking distance of dept 24 will be appreciated [:D][Www]

[quote user="ams"]

Just booked the wife for La Rochelle to Dublin €17.98 return to include all costs, taxes handling etc.

What a rip off. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ams

[/quote]

That's your fault. You should have booked a single and thus saved a fortune.

John

Total cost for everything, she goes with 10k of hand luggage, no insurance, no hold luggage,  on line check in.

La rochelle to dublin €4.99

Dublin to la rochelle  €4.99

Handling fee             €8.00

Total payment         €17.98 

ams

Nell said "Just a small foot note - to P2 - thanks for your support, I am convinced Ron Avery is O'Leary's twin brother. By the way Ron, any suggestions on flights from Liverpool to anywhwere within striking distance of dept 24 will be appreciated "

Nell also said, "Must get my son to get a job in Dublin I think".  I think!!!

I hope you did more than think about where you were sending him, he might have wanted to go to Manchester[:)].  What sort of job is that then in Dublin,  bank[8-)]

Nell, P2 lives next to Toulouse airport and so can afford to take the piss out of Ryanair never having to use them, so any more comments from you lot in 24 about my cousin's fares policy ( I told Benjie to keep that to himself) and you lot, when the competitors pull out in September, will be getting from 24 the same way as you did before he decided to fly there, getting the train down to Toulouse or the car out.

By the way, why would anyone want to fly to Liverpool, got a load of hubcaps to take over there?[:P]

[quote user="Nell"]

Ron - Liverpool Is City of Culture 2008

We don't have hubcaps any more we have posh alloy's now[Www][:D]

[/quote]

I love Liverpool !! [:D] [IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/regine79/liverpool08.gif[/IMG]  [;-)][:)][Www]