Ryanair book in?

Jonzjob

"Ultimately, we want just one in five people to check in luggage," he said.

The carrier said that 97% of passengers booked online already and 75% used the internet to check in.

1 in 5 is 20%, so 80% is the target figure for on line check in. This seems a lot of money and hassle for an additional 5%.

But then I don't run an airline. 

Not having used Ryanair for a few years, it did occur to me that Internet checking in could be a problem, but I am sure someone has the answer. Internet checking in on say the outward flight should pose no problem, but it did occur to me that the inward flight could be a problem if you are without the use of the Internet whilst away for a week or more and you also do not have a laptop, netbook or an Internet café available to you.

Baz

[quote user="Baz"]

Not having used Ryanair for a few years, it did occur to me that Internet checking in could be a problem, but I am sure someone has the answer. Internet checking in on say the outward flight should pose no problem, but it did occur to me that the inward flight could be a problem if you are without the use of the Internet whilst away for a week or more and you also do not have a laptop, netbook or an Internet café available to you.

Baz[/quote]

I have come across this 'problem' but have found ways of overcoming this. There are very few places in the world where you can't find a telephone, just ring a friend up ( who has internet) with all your details and let them do it for you.

If your trip is less that 5 days you can book-in the return before you go.

I have used internet cafes, found in most towns, The Hotel and the B&B have both let me use there internet, and finally just turn up in time for airport check-in cost a couple of quid!

No real problem

Its not "new" news, Ryanair have been saying this for a year or so now, it might reduce the number of check in gates for the busy flights but there will still have to be one per flight, but hopefully it will cut down the queues of people checking in to the bare minimum of people with cases.

EayJet have the same options and you can check in with either airline for your return journey at the same time as the outward if your trip is less than 5 days.    If its longer you just find someone's computer and do it, its really not a problem for 99% of the passengers who use Ryanair/EasyJet as you have to have a computer to book the trip in the first place and they are not exactly hard to find even if you are in France for the return trip.

Having travelled thru East Midlands recently with Ryanair, I find it a little discomforting security wise that the security are only concerned with your luggage and no one checked out passports except for the ryanair girl at the gate as we boarded who at the same time as checking boarding card, passport was also looking to see how much hand luggage you had and whether it was the right size!   No wonder we sat on the plane for over half an hour before take off as the count at the gate did not match the count on the plane!!!   Still I hope the gate girl got the sack as it was my 14 year old daughter she picked on to put her case in the measuring basket!!   Which brings me on to a tip;   put the case in upside down as otherwise the wheels cause it not to go in!!

peut-être!

Yes Lollie does have a job for life,   mother, wife, banker, cleaner, nurse, cook, taxi driver, amongst others  ..............

harsh, perhaps,  but as I and my 6ft 16yr old son had exactly the same suitcases, amongst many others in the queue I suspect she went for the soft option.

Oh! Just a housewife then Lollie? (for cryin out loud John duck!!! [6][6][6])

If the cases were the same size then she probably thought that if one of them fitted then the other might just do as well? Besides which a 6' lad could probably have got an old fasioned cabin trunk in the frame using the engineering addage of 'don't force it, use a bigger hammer'![:)]

We have what appears to be a very unusual mobile phone. It actually does what it says on the lable, makes phone calls. I have a good camera that doesn't make calls and a PC that can make calls, but doesn't take photos. We had a discussion with a salesman in Darty about the above facts and he couldn't understand why anyone would want a phone that only makes calls?

[quote user="Lollie"]Thats me, just a housewife, meek and mild,  but I have a phone that takes pictures, makes calls and does email!!!   Anyway must go make the roast beef and yorkshire pud!![/quote]

Roll on the days when the phone makes sunday dinner and we can go out and talk to people instead of texting them.

John

[quote user="sheldonrobbo"]Most mobile phones have internet access these days so check in online shouldn't present a problem even without a computer.

sheldon[/quote]

How do you access the net on a mobile phone? What does it cost? Why would anyone want to?

Yes, I do have a mobile phone (unfortunately) and I hate the bas****, It has a camera, in fact it has two - why I have no idea. Its a Nokia N82, does that mean anything to anyone, it doesn't to me bt I suppose I'm a bit of a luddite at heart. 

[quote user="Jonzjob"]Why 2 cameras! Easy really, one for weekdaze and one for weekends [Www][:P][/quote]

Stop posting and get back to removing that grout [Www]

Have you tried checking in online on a mobile with that tiny screen drove me nuts and where do you put the paper in to print off the ticket [:D]

[quote user="sheldonrobbo"]Its very easy to access the net from a mobile. It costs very little. And you would probably need it if you wanted to check in online with Ryanair and didn't have access to a puter. Also your nokia n82 will have internet access. sheldon[/quote]Having such a phone will invariably involve a contract, something I would say the vast majority of retired folk in France have absolutely no need of or desire for. Furthermore, and at the risk of sounding patronising, many would likely struggle with the technology, if they could even see the tiny screen in the first place that is [:'(]

To have to have one simply to check-in with Ryanair, well....................!

Excellent point about the print out teapot [;-)]

[quote user="ErnieY"]To have to have one simply to check-in with Ryanair, well....................! [/quote]

It's a marketing strategy!

Ryanair will be selling mobile phones from their website, to allow their customers to check in online.

To allow them to print the paperwork, the customers will be offered a 12-month contract on a bluetooth-enabled mobile.

Access to a printer at the terminal will be restricted to Ryanair mobile phones.

Those who use their own mobile phone and printer will be offered a free sugar cube with their on-board coffee (this offer will not be available any other drink).

[;-)]