Ryanair Offer

PeterG

Two different things are being confused here, one the relative value of an airline ticket whether it be £1 or £100 (which is the only reason I travelled with Ryan) fair enough.
The other is the ethics and morality of something which is advertised at £1 and finally costs £100, rip-off, scam call it what you like. The Trading Standards Institute said airlines and operators were still advertising headline prices that are "totally fictitious" – and we will not hesitate to take court action against any that still refuse to toe the line. Hopefully so.
Something likely to improve everyones understanding of the real price if inclusive advertised cost is ever achieved.
When I buy a bottle of wine I don't expect to see it advertised exclusive of tax for example. Sure I can do the maths, but I have been misled by the offer.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="just john "]

When I buy a bottle of wine I don't expect to see it advertised exclusive of tax for example. Sure I can do the maths, but I have been misled by the offer.

[/quote]

But you'll buy the same wine you can get in Tesco for under a fiver for £15 in a restaurant! 

[quote user="Scooby"]If someone had asked most of the people on here 10-15 years ago if they were prepared to jump through those hoops to get a return flight to Europe for £2 I'm guessing most would have bitten their hand off. I remember my first (paid for myself) package holiday to Greece back in 1984 and I paid nearly £400 for two weeks half board.  That was a month's wages for me then. 

As I mentioned in the other thread - the concept of owning your own home amongst the kids I went to school with was rare.  The concept of a second home was for the mega rich.  My grandparents lived in rented accommodation - as did many post war families.  We have become more and more greedy, demanding and materialistic. The whingers on this thread being a great example of those who have, perhaps, forgotten what we have now.

I completely agree with Stans Streason - it's a simple cost benefit choice.
[/quote]

I completely agree with you Scooby although I havent flown for about 5 years, the last time being Easyjet.

I was 13 years old before I realised that some people (although none of the 2000 pupils at my school) lived in anything other than a council house, the son of my mums boss had to explain to me what a private house was after asking me "have you always lived in a council house"

I did once report Speedferries to both the Sussex and Dover trading standards office regarding their fuel surcharge and it worked as well resulting in the famous letter of apology to all customers from Kurt his-self although I think that he got Branson to write it for him [:)]

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="Scooby"]

As I mentioned in the other thread - the concept of owning your own home amongst the kids I went to school with was rare.  The concept of a second home was for the mega rich.  My grandparents lived in rented accommodation - as did many post war families.  We have become more and more greedy, demanding and materialistic. The whingers on this thread being a great example of those who have, perhaps, forgotten what we have now.

[/quote]

I was 13 years old before I realised that some people (although none of the 2000 pupils at my school) lived in anything other than a council house, the son of my mums boss had to explain to me what a private house was after asking me "have you always lived in a council house"

[/quote]

We had to save for three month for the 3d to get into the pictures and that was for the front row, the rich kids sat at the back. Afterwards it was off to the fishshop to beg for the scraps which we ate on our way back to the rented hovel.

Now we are just like you lot. Shutter up the mansion, drive to the airport in our new 4x4 and fly off to the UK for a tenner. It's a good life. Thank you Ryanair.

Sorry if I sound on another planet, but I have no problem with using Ryan air, Easy jet,  Skytrain (remember that one), even Flybe when necessary but I'm sure they wouldn't loose any business if they were up front with inclusive fares, (and Trading Standards think so too).
I have no problem appreciating the best deal and genuine offers. I could talk about drinking out of a rolled  up newspaper  in a shoebbox but its been done better before.[:D]

It never fails to surprise me that after so many years of operation, people are STILL angered by ryanairs pricing policies.  The flights are advertised at £x. if you meet the criteria regarding times, dates, luggage and payment, you get them for £x, if you dont, you pay £x+y, where y is significantly larger than x. the total price is made clear to you before you click the final button. Its always been like this, and always will be. This should be a surprise to nobody.

As for the £10 card fee being a rip off - looking at that on its own, yes that is an axcessive amount for the fee, but you need to realise that this isnt all you are buying - you need to think about the total cost you pay and what you get for your money. the £10 fee makes up part of the total of £50 - and £50 to fly to France is most definately not a rip off. See how far £50 gets you on a UK train these days - thats a rip off IMO.

Im no "fan" of ryanair, I have had my share of cancelled flights, and had to spend new years eve sleeping on a chair in Stanstead airport several years ago thanks to them, but I am still glad they offer the sevice they do.

I think the main point has been missed in that only a very small percentage of Ryanair passengers get the 1p fares, mainly retirees who can plan months ahead.

For those who have to check in luggage and do not have an Electron card, Ryanair are far more expensive with their extras than ny other low cost carrier.

But then Ryanair tend to focus mainly on provincial airports in France where they are the only carrier to the UK and therefore not in direct competition with Easyjet.

It's not the 'retirees planning months ahead'.  We both work and travelled to Ireland on holiday at relatively short notice (a last minute short break) and at a time of the year when the weather wasn't exactly brilliant - if the weather ever is in Ireland!  We managed perfectly well for a week with just hand luggage (I even managed to fit my hair straighteners in).

I was talking to my hairdresser about cheap flights and her immediate response to my suggestion she travelled with just hand luggage was that I couldn't, I just couldn't - what about all my shoes, my going out clothes, my hairdryer, straighteners, all my make up etc!  I need my 20kg and my hand luggage!'  The reality is, most people taking checked baggage bring most of it back untouched and unworn.  I think MO'L is right.  Those of you with checked baggage put extra strain on the earth's resources and slow up the whole process of embarking and disembarking for the rest of us (who have more self control when it comes to packing a case).  Should you pay extra?  Absolutely!  With regard to the electron card - it took one phone call to my bank and it arrived within three days - so that whinge is just ridiculous.

[quote user="Scooby"]With regard to the electron card - it took one phone call to my bank and it arrived within three days - so that whinge is just ridiculous.[/quote]

It might not be ... not all banks offer Electron cards, and of those that do, it seems that not all of those cards are set up for internet usage..

Sue

Last year Ryanair generated £500 million of its turnover from extras, without which it could not survive, as that is where its profits arise.

From next week Ryanair's checked in luggage charges go up 50%, their few remaining check in desks at airports will be closed and unaccompanied minors banned.

By the way very few banks issue Electron Cards, which Ryanair is well aware off as after all the last thing it wants is passengers to avoid the card charges which are the highest in the airline industry. If Ryanair did not offer the Electron Card option, it would have to show the card charges in the headline price under EU rules, as they would no longer be optional if there was not the Electron card alternative.

And how many people on here have opened a Nationwide account to access their good exchange rates?  If your own bank doesn't offer an electron card, open a new account with a bank that does - it isn't rocket science.  (The Co-op bank offers them) Re travelling for a longer trip - you could maybe wash your clothes?? Sorry I just think the excuses are whinging.  If you don't want the inconvenience of getting an electron card, washing undies etc then you just pay the extra - simple.  Personally, I'm more than happy with Ryanair.

This is a very old 'chestnut' and has been run ragged in Forums and letters to the Press over the years.

My view for what it's worth. Of course RA have been and will continue to be good value for money - at the end of the day, you have the choice of whether to buy or not to buy and it's the bottom line that matters, however it's made up.

However ........... I just begin to detect some sort of 'pushback' from the public towards what has been described to me as the 'Ryanair Experience'. Some good friends will be visiting next Spring and asked if there was any other viable option to RA for their travel arrangements - they just don't particularly like the boarding rugby scrum and the 'you can't do this and you can't do that' attitude.

So, they've booked Flybe Southampton - Avignon, which we've used on several occasions. As flying goes in 2009, they're just that bit more civilised and not much more expensive if you book early. Ours and our friends' attitude may not be unique, i.e. don't take the customer for granted, he just might vote with his feet. 

p.s. At Southampton on Tuesday, there was a Flybe Customer Service supervisor roaming around the check-in area, helping people to use the m/c check-in and generally sorting out problems. That's the sort of difference I'm referring to.  

[quote user="Gardian"]

This is a very old 'chestnut' and has been run ragged in Forums and letters to the Press over the years.

they just don't particularly like the boarding rugby scrum and the 'you can't do this and you can't do that' attitude.

[/quote]

I have never suffered the rugby scrum, is that at certain airports only, sounds like fun [;-)]

There was a lovely looking hooker I wouldn't have minded getting to grips with [:-))]

Aha! The rugby scrum! I experienced this for the first time at Limoges recently where the late arrivals attempted (successfully for the most part) to push in front of those who had been waiting for over an hour. All for the lack of proper queueing control. I'll still be using RA, though, I'll just be better prepared with my sharper elbows! Can't beat the price!!

Sid

[quote user="Scooby"]And how many people on here have opened a Nationwide account to access their good exchange rates?  If your own bank doesn't offer an electron card, open a new account with a bank that does - it isn't rocket science. [/quote]

Aahh, but you are UK resident are you not? Then, of course, it is easy for you. Unfortunately for we residents of la belle France opening an account with NW is not an option.

Of course I should have opened a Nationwide account before I left the UK, but I was not aware, at that time, that it was of such importance. You live and learn.

Sue [:(]

The problem as far I'm concerned is not about £1 or £100 tickets, nor whatever card you need to jump through hoops to get to pay the git, but the spivvy, weasely way RA (I've got my version of what the initials stand for) try every trick to extort money over and above.
I've bought my ticket, I have a contract to fly, but reading the e-mail I must check in on-line and print my own ticket by a certain time, if not then I will be charged £40 or e40  to check-in, what a lovely man, I learn't in business that you make your money from repeat business, Oh how I'm going to be loyal to this business.[8-|] not.

Having done a quick check, it would appear that some French banks do a Visa Electron card

Caisse D'Epargne do a Carte Sensea Electron

BNP Paribas

Banque Populaire

Maybe others do. The downside is that all charge for them ...

If you look here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/beat-budget-airline-charges#elec

and click on the bit about "full details of prepaid cards" it indicates that you can get the Travelex card ... or someone can get one for you .... in some Sainsbury's, Tesco's and some smaller building societies as well as in Thomas Cook and Co-op Travel over the counter, instantly.

Regards

Pickles

I believe that those very few banks that issue Electron cards are getting fed up with its perceived misuse, promoted by Ryanair, as the card is primarily aimed at impoverished students and is not intended for general use by ordinary customers.

Watch this space, as there is a real chance of it being withdrawn, so I am reliably informed!