Ryanair Offer

PeterG

The Visa Electron card is aimed at "students and others new to banking ... start-up businesses (my note: without a credit record) and people on a limited budget".(source: Visa). Whose budget isn't limited? The verification system that it uses is designed to ensure that the user cannot go overdrawn (which is not the case for most debit cards) and thus helps to reduce the level of risk to the retailer (marginally), bank (major beneficiary) and user. What's the problem? It would seem to be the perfect card for many people at present ... O2 has seen that there is money to be made from similar products, and have launched a prepaid card (Visa but I believe not Electron) in two flavours. It is likely to be around for some time yet, and if it is eventually withdrawn for whatever reason, Ryanair will have to choose another flavour of card on which to allow transaction-free purchases.

Regards

Pickles

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="just john "]Oh how I'm going to be loyal to this business.[8-|] not.[/quote]

And that's the issue with Ryanair. There are many who are frequent users of Ryanair (and once you train yourself to use Ryanair's/Easyjet's/bmibaby's/whatever's website then you become accustomed to how the business works and what you have to do) but I would reckon that most harbour no sense of loyalty to the airline. If they fly a route that is convenient to me and at a reasonable price, then fine. However, into the purchase decision goes a mix of other things including "is there an alternative?" (in many cases there really isn't), "How much extra is the alternative?" (I WILL pay more - but not too much more - for a different service). I find Ryanair's "attitude" strange and unnecessary, really. I reckon that many of the differences that Ryanair need to make to engender loyalty (or at least a feeling of tepid custard as opposed to stone cold) are for the most part cost-free. They are missing a trick there.

Regards

Pickles

I am sure you are right Pickles.  As one who commutes on a regular basis I admit to being a travel tart and will go with whichever route works out cheapest/most convenient.

To those who bluster about RA they are by no means unique in the add on charges -

Lufthansa - booking fee added at the end of the transaction - like you can get a ticket without booking? - plus card fees unless specific bank bedit.

Airfrance - service charge added at the end of the transaction - what service? I am doing all the work here.

To be honest the one I find most annoying is the Easyjet website, which quotes you a price but then automatically adds on all sorts of things that then up the price and you then have to systematically go through step by step removing them - no hold bag, recaculate - no insurance, recalculate - really no insurance? - yes really, recalculate and so on to get you back to the original price.

RA may be the same but since they don't go where I want to, they are not on my shopping list.

I think Pickles has it exactly right. I use Ryanair even though I find it an increasingly unpleasant experience. The moment a reasonable alternative comes along I will use it.

I find it interesting that I felt differently about Speedferries who I really wanted to succeed.

Hoddy

[quote user="Kevinmc"]Thomas Cook also do an Electron card. A small initial charge and 2% to load it, but if you're using it for cheapo Ryanair flights, you'll still be in profit. You can walk in to their stores and obtain one[/quote]

I refer the honourable forum member to my posting of the 27th: the Thomas Cook/Co-op Travel cards are, IIRC, flavours of the Travelex prepaid card. But yes, this route may be the best way for those in France to get one if they come to the UK or have friends who will get one for them. The Travelex cards can be purchased at many airports and the UK Eurotunnel terminal.

Incidentally, La Banque Postale in France has a card called "Réalys" which is an Electron card.

Regards

Pickles

"I think Pickles has it exactly right. I use Ryanair even though I find it an increasingly unpleasant experience. The moment a reasonable alternative comes along I will use it.

I find it interesting that I felt differently about Speedferries who I really wanted to succeed.

Hoddy"

Having used RA and SpeedFerries, the difference is that RA are not very polite and friendly (my experience) and the crew of SpeedFerries were exceptionally polite and helpful. No matter how little or much a service costs, we are still a customer, paying for the service, paying their wages and should be treated as such, courtesy costs nothing.

There are lots of Ryanair cabin crew living around where I work and I dont think they are treated that well either.  I understand their staff relations work on a similar basis to the passenger model. In this case you get paid well but also have to put up with everthing else and get little support.

My biggest current hate on Ryanair flights are those passengers (mainly men) flying alone that plonk themselves in the middle seat of 3 and then try to put off anyone else sitting in that row.  My family (with the exception of my wife) are all over 6ft and not slight.  We have a family rule that, however empty a flight is, we make sure we sit either side and refuse his offer of moving to one end of the row so we can sit together.  Well it amuses us!

[quote user="Stan Streason"]There are lots of Ryanair cabin crew living around where I work and I dont think they are treated that well either.  I understand their staff relations work on a similar basis to the passenger model. In this case you get paid well but also have to put up with everthing else and get little support.[/quote]

As an example, IIRC, Ryanair cabin crew pay for their own training and uniform. Their training costs will in effect be reimbursed to them over the following 12 months as a new joiner's allowance, but if they leave within the first 12 months they have to pay back this allowance. Salaries are not high, presumably on the basis that there is a pretty much inexhaustible supply of people who want to be cabin crew at any price.

[quote user="Stan Streason"]My biggest current hate on Ryanair flights are those passengers (mainly men) flying alone that plonk themselves in the middle seat of 3 and then try to put off anyone else sitting in that row.  My family (with the exception of my wife) are all over 6ft and not slight.  We have a family rule that, however empty a flight is, we make sure we sit either side and refuse his offer of moving to one end of the row so we can sit together.  Well it amuses us![/quote]

The corollary of course is the couples who occupy aisle and window seats on full flights and try to prevent people taking the middle seat ...

I know of someone who, so I am told, buys two seats for himself when flying on Ryanair - and no, he doesn't need to for reasons of "size" (AND IT ISN'T ME, OK?). However, when he does this he makes sure that the cabin crew are aware of this when he boards, so that they can intervene if necessary. I can't say that I care that much really.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Hoddy"]  I find it interesting that I felt differently about Speedferries who I really wanted to succeed. Hoddy[/quote]

Likewise Hoddy, in my book they learn't to look at it from the customers perspective; offered add ons that weren't rammed down your throat, and tried to look after you I thought, even loyalty prices for bulk tickets, unfortunately the business model was not quite so good. I prefer to drive but there isn't always time to; I'm inbetween four airports, all with their frustrations, I've used easyjet to Bordeaux but connections were frustrating, Flybe to La Rochelle, they cancelled flight for three days, frustrating again and now RA to Limoge, not the most friendly website/charges, If only someone other than RA flew to Angouleme; one more try to Bergerac, perhaps Flybe will get it right next time. [8-|]

As others have said the other discount airlines are no better - all of them have additional charges and frustrating web sites.  Even Thomas Cook now charge for checked baggage - £30 per case. The BMI credit card is the worst rip off ever.  Spend £3000 for a free flight - except that only the flight is free, all the other taxes and charges still apply and you can't choose from any of their flights - only pre-selected flights of which there are...b*gg*r all.  Unless you want to fly to Newquay or Belfast in November of course.

On the subject of additional flights - has anyone tried to book two seats on the flight to get 10kg extra baggage allowance?  On the cheap / free flight offers it would be much cheaper than buying one seat and paying to check a bag in.

[quote user="Ladoix"]

Having used RA and SpeedFerries, the difference is that RA are not very polite and friendly (my experience) and the crew of SpeedFerries were exceptionally polite and helpful. No matter how little or much a service costs, we are still a customer, paying for the service, paying their wages and should be treated as such, courtesy costs nothing.

[/quote]

Perhaps a more significant difference being that RA is still in business whereas the staff of Speedferries can stand in the dole queue reflecting that their customers loved them but not enough to keep the business going.

When will you people learn that with Ryanair you pay to travel on a flying bus - service and courtesy are not yet chargeable extras. The downsides of travelling with Ryanair are well catalogued so stop acting surprised.

John

John, I've travelled with Ryanair far too many times to be surprised by anything. And yes the staff of Speedferries did lose their jobs. The difference is that I tried to support Speedferries when they were struggling if the same thing were happening to Ryanair I would happily kick them on their way down.

I don't think that good manners should be an 'add on' that we pay for.

Hoddy

The concern I have about low cost carriers in general, is that the low cost culture does not start to impinge on safety, as has happened with disastrous consequences in some countries. Overworked and under experienced demotivated pilots combined with maintenance short cuts and unrealistic time pressures do not make a good recipe! Having a pilot background ,I am in the unfortunate position of knowing too much, similar to doctors not making good patients! 

[quote user="plod"] "an airline run by an Irishman that we don't like"  .[/quote]

Nothing personal about it, I'm sure he's a great host when he invites you round and probably does a great colcannon; his business model works great for these times though I'm sure the company is not really interested in how cheaply you can get a ticket, rather the other way round. The thing that has grated with me as mentioned by Hoddy and others is the ethics and manner of the company in trying to extract that extra. Goodwill seems to be in short supply on the simple cost benefit choice. Reality, is first = route, second = timing, last = cost; so where there is an alternative I would be looking for all the above and with a quality of service that values my repeat custom. I'm sure that all those with a 10e fare are completely dispensable, and would soon merit a no show aircraft (a la speedferries). A sensible cost with a bit of service on the other hand is likely to generate a bit of loyalty and ongoing business instead the feeling of being abused and ripped off to cover the expense of the headline fare.

Hi, been following this topic for as long as its ran and so far have kept my opinions out, until now......GET A LIFE PEOPLE, if you can get from a to b and back relatively cheaply then go, if you don't like the airline or the guy then dont go...........simples.

Why waste your time and energy typing a complaint here, those who like them use them, those who don't, don't.

I dislike gardening, do i look at the gardening section and complain, No.

I know little about electronic technology, so why waste my time with it.....................

As in the hunting debates on here, you cannot change peoples minds so why waste your time trying.

And i use Ryanair all the time, i do not care if the staff do not lavish me with smiles and warm welcomes, i go on the plane, see them for an hour and rarely see them again, big deal they are unhappy in their jobs and they show it when serving you, take your seat, open your book and wait till the plane lands and get off, end of, job done.

You and MOL are happy.

Just so we don't loose sight of the alternatives, in the   Watchdog comparison   ''In a three flight comparison only ONE of the three flights was Ryanair cheapest. BA came out the priciest each time. But on two of our flights - it was easyJet who came out the lowest. Ryanair were cheaper than easyJet to Madrid. But  more expensive than easyJet to Rome and more expensive than easyJet to Milan.''