I confess: I really hate Christmas cake but...

Clair

my husband really could eat one every day!

The English shop near us has puddings, but no cake... He's been threatening to make his own for as long as we've been married (and that's a looonnng time!) but has not yet produced anything out of the kitchen (except for the kitchen cabinets! [;-)])

I have never been all that keen on cake making generally speaking anyway as I do not have a sweet tooth. But I have found this recipe which might well produce an acceptable compromise in time for Christmas... unless someone has a better suggestion...?

My goodness seeing that recipe takes me back many, many years - a real trip down memory lane. My mum used to make it fairly often as it was so easy to do, virtually foolproof and unexpected visitors always loved it. She called it 'Saucepan Cake' for obvious reasons.

Sue  [:)]

[quote user="Spg"]My goodness seeing that recipe takes me back many, many years - a real trip down memory lane. My mum used to make it fairly often as it was so easy to do, virtually foolproof and unexpected visitors always loved it. She called it 'Saucepan Cake' for obvious reasons.Sue  [:)][/quote]

Excellent! Then I shall proceed...![:D]

[quote user="Spg"]

it was virtually foolproof ...

Sue  [:)]

[/quote]

I am not a good cook but it always worked well for me - I mostly used to make it in an oblong tin. My children used to love eating a buttered slice topped with cheese when they arrived home, starving, from school. The only person I know who failed with this cake was an aunt of mine who read 180 deg C as 180 deg fahrenheit as her cooker was ancient and did not have centigrade markings. That time the cake was an unmitigated disaster, but gave everyone a good laugh when the error was explained.

I am sure your cake will be successful.

Sue

My mum has & uses an old recipe similar to the boiled cake, it's called a Giggle cake!

4oz Marg

1 cup of sugar - white or brown

1 cup of water

1 cup of a mix of sultanas/raisins/currants & peel if you want

2tsp mixed spice

2 cups of self raising flour

Blend the marg, sugar, fruit, water & spice together in a saucepan, over a low heat. Leave to cool, then stir in the flour, mixing well. Bake in a greased 7-inch cake tin at 180° for about 40mins or until golden brown.

You can add what you want to the basic recipe, mum normally does, cherries & alcohol being 2 things. Also, my cousin makes & decorates wedding/Christmas & birthday cakes & this is the basic recipe she uses too.

I really enjoyed the Christmas Archives you sent a link to, Jay Jay!  The articles give a nearly perfect representation of various Christmas traditions ("nearly" because I have never heard of a Twelfth night cake in Poland - and that is the only place I am qualified to talk about with reasonable competence).  Anyway, it has really put me in the Christmas spirit! 

Like Clair, though, I am still not sure about the Christmas cake, however I'm sure I will work my appetite towards it one day (after all, I used to despise the mince pies and now I can't live without them at Christmas!).  I am certainly going to try the boiled fruit cake recipe - thanks for that!

Pleased it helped to get you into the Christmas spirit DZ. (Is that the bottle or the mood?[;-)])

Strange you haven't heard of the 12th night cake in Poland, I wonder when it disappeared there. I think it's good that they still have it here, although now it's a fun thing.

BTW, I don't like Christmas cake or pudding either, too rich & sweet for me. I love mince pies though, as long as it's Delia's mincemeat.[:D]

[quote user="Just Katie "]Claire, do you dislike it because you are French or is it part of your culture too? [/quote]

I just don't go for very sweet things and the mere sight or thought of a dark fruit cake (Christmas or wedding for instance) is enough to make my teeth fall out!!! Don't even mention icing!

I do like "real fruit" tarts, tolerate fruit crumbles and LOOOVE dark chocolate (for health reasons of course!)

I think it's the oversweet sugary content that turns me off...

[quote user="PossumGirl"]This sounds great, Clair!  Mr. Possum loves ANYTHING with raisins, so this would be perfect for him!PG[/quote]

I made it last night (well, evening) and it was a real doddle!

the longest wait was the cooling down bit.

I did adjust some of the fruit content as I didn't have all the fruit listed, put in dried cranberries to make up the difference...

Following Delia's instructions (I do like taking advice from various sources and mixing them up!!) I brusehd a generous helping of alcohol (whisky, as I am not prepared to "waste" my aged Calvados on the cake!) over the cake and then twice wrapped in with foil whilst it cooled down (apparently stops a dry crust forming).

Today I will throw myself into marzipan from scratch (I have recruited my OH for that, after all, he'll be eating the thing!), then we'll do some rough icing (snow peaks fashion!)...

I'll post a piccie before he eats the lot...!

This might become a stand-by classic and I might even convince him to make it for himself!!!

Ok I am old fashioned and a supporter of those things Delia.  I say her Xmas cake is wonderful as are her puddings.  A bit late this year but have made two cakes and am feeding them brandy weekly.  The puds are from last year but our French friends cannot see the logic in either the puddings or the cake.

The cakes will be given the marzipan and icing before Xmas and we shall then see.

Do not make my own icing or say almond paste but bought off the net and on its way as we speak (or converse through the ether)

Next thing on the agenda is Gordon and his fig and apple (bramleys) compote with chillies perfect for pates and the like.  I love foie gras but its not good for my health and my wife hates it.  However............perhaps just a slice at Christmas.

At least here in France the celebrations are over fairly quickly and when can get back to normality.  In the UK Xmas seemingly starts early September.

[quote user="Valleyboy"]Your local pharmacien should have it in stock.[/quote]

So I went to my local pharmacy and the conversation went like that:

"I'm making a cake and I need some glycerin. Do you happen to have any?"

"Glycerin in a cake???[img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1120.gif[/img] [img]http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1196.gif[/img] [blink] Is it an English cake you're making? [8-)]"

---------------------------------------

Anyway, thanks for the tip, got some now!!

[quote user="Russethouse"]Ask for liquid glucose next - I wonder if they know about Delia's Chocolate Truffle torte ?[;-)][/quote]

Ha! delia's chocolate torte!

Made it about 2 weeks ago (used some sirp de sucre de cane instead of liquide glucose, as I had some at home, bought for cocktails, never used), anyway, I made it, sliced a bit on a plate, so rich I could not finish it!!

Mr Clair sacrificed himself (yeah, right!) and finished the lot over the week...!

Liquid glucose here

While I'm mentioning cooking an baking  things, I found proper baking powder at Champion in Figeac and today I found parsnips in a veggie shop in Autillac (15)!! WeyHey! Curried parsnip soup, here we come!!

Back to the cake... Tomorrow, icing...[:-))]

Have you noticed that rich chocolate cakes are always better a couple of days after they are made?

You can get parsnips in Leclerc, as well.  Jude bought some the other day.  As long as they are in a mash or something I can take 'em ...

Is there any appreciable difference between liquid glucose and the sirop de sucre de canne you bought, Clair? 

That liquid glucose link is a bit weird - the pack says glucose cristal and the description sirop de glucose.

[quote user="Cassis"]Have you noticed that rich chocolate cakes are always better a couple of days after they are made? [/quote]

Can't say, they don't usually last that long here!! Delia's was an exception! I'll stick to old fashioned chocolate cake in future!

[quote user="Cassis"]You can get parsnips in Leclerc, as well.  Jude bought some the other day.  As long as they are in a mash or something I can take 'em ...[/quote]

Lucky you! It's the first time I've seen parsnips in a veggie shop not situated near an English stronghold!! Or maybe Aurillac is becoming one?? I love spicy parsnip soup  and although mine is not a patch on the New Covent Garden's, it's an acceptable substitute!

[quote user="Cassis"]Is there any appreciable difference between liquid glucose and the sirop de sucre de canne you bought, Clair?  [/quote]

Can't answer that one, as I have never used liquide glucose. I worked on the quick (rash?) assumption that glucose and sugar have a similar purpose, so I thought I'd try!

[quote user="Cassis"]That liquid glucose link is a bit weird - the pack says glucose cristal and the description sirop de glucose.[/quote]

The very same question was asked in the shop forum. It seems this is dehydrated liquid glucose...[blink]