I confess: I really hate Christmas cake but...

Clair

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this 'times'recipe and it is OK. In fact it would be lovely hot with some hot custard, as it is moist, rather like a steamed pudding. In fact it would probably do as a replacement xmas pud rather than xmas cake.

I think that one either likes the fayre at this time of year or one doesn't. I have lots of french friends who buy fruit cake, can't remember the make 'brossard' perhaps and they love xmas cake and xmas pudding, well the ones I make which are not too sweet.

And as far as xmas cake is concerned, I really don't think one can beat Dorothy Sleightholmes made at least a couple of months in advance and gently nurtured with some booze of choice. I have tried all sorts of recipes and this is always the one that turns out best and gets most compliments.

>>>

And as far as xmas cake is concerned, I really don't think one can beat Dorothy Sleightholmes made at least a couple of months in advance and gently nurtured with some booze of choice. I have tried all sorts of recipes and this is always the one that turns out best and gets most compliments.<<<<

Farmhouse Kitchen ?

Showing my age now.........[:(]

[quote user="pip24"]

Like Spg we also used to eat cheese with the Christmas cake, but for some reason it had to be Lancashire cheese !  Can anyone suggest a French cheese that would compliment the cake that is being discussed ?

[/quote]

And with mince pies and apple pie - but being originally from the white rose county - it had to be wensleydale!  Nowadays it is usually a mature cheddar as that is easiest to find even in London.  Must confess I've yet to find a good suitable french cheese, but perhaps a hardish but crumbly (yes I do mean that!) mountain cheese, possible from sheep rather than goats or cows?  They could offer the contrast in taste (as with sweet and sour) which just works so well.  And for those who find christmas cake with marzipan etc too sweet, try it with cheese -  it takes the excessive sweetness away.  Believe me, it does work as I don't like things too sweet either!

We find a jeune Cantal is perfectly acceptable with christmas Cake.

And yes, Farmhouse Kitchen. My first cook book and no pictures AND we didn't have a telly at the time. Taught me how to asses a recipe without seeing a picture of how something should look. And I have had some great recipes from all three books. I still use them. The only real failure I had was trying to make nougat and my thermometer didn't work properly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Teamedup"]

We find a jeune Cantal is perfectly acceptable with christmas Cake.

[/quote]

Sorry this is too late for Christmas, but for those who have not yet eaten all the cake ----  I broght back some Laguiole cheese (bought in the local intermarche) and it survived the journey and the out of date label, to be very edible.  I think it is the nearest I've found to a cheshire yet, and would certainly work well with christmas cake or mince pies, though I scoffed all my UK goodies before I left the UK for Christmas ........!  The laguiole is going down very well with biscuits pro tem.  And I may try it on toast before I finish it - it certainly has the taste and texture of a good cheshire which is what I use for such toasties.