Do you care where your food comes from ?

Frederick

To answer the OP, I try and buy local, for two reasons, I know where it comes from, I can ask questions about the product, even visit the farm, ( when you pick up your own veg or pick apples, etc), and it reduces transportation cost and pollution.

Not far from my home, there's a farm that produces beef, and it is excellent, but dearer..

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Frenchie"]

I think it was limande sole, so should be fine..

Thanks for your answer, very informative.

I'll take even more care next time..

It was delicious by the way, cooked in the oven " à l'Indienne" .[/quote]

Hi Frenchy,

Glad to have been of help - and that the sole was good!  This whole, "What fish can I eat?", question is an absolute minefield.  The more you research, the more you realise how hard it is ... 

Living in Montpellier, I need to find out more about the Mediterranean fisheries.  For example - as I'm sure you know! - we get Dorade = Gilt-head Sea Bream (Sparus aurata) here.  They swim into the étangs around this time of the year to feed on the crustaces which grow there during the summer.  They then swim back to the sea in the Autumn, which is when they have traditionally been caught at Sète ...

But then you find out that it is also extensively fish-farmed (with all the environmental problems that involves!).  So the Dorade you buy in Sète could easily have come from ... Greece.  Here's a graph showing how this farming has exploded in the last few years:

[IMG]http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr42/Ventodue/Sparusaurata.gif[/IMG]

Amicalement

Craig

[quote user="woolybanana"]So, before we can choose a fish, we have to read 1000 pages of statistics, of doubtful accuracy, by which time the bloody thing will be rotten.[/quote]

Which takes us neatly back to the title of this thread: "Do you care where your food comes from ?"  Perhaps a developed version would be, "How much do you care where your food comes from?"

(Also, you don't have to make it ferociously complicated - please see my posting on page 3.)

[quote user="woolybanana"]Actually, the rise in price here means that the stuff is no longer being sold on the fish markets.[/quote]

As it goes, you're pretty much in step with one line of thinking in current fishery management here, Woolybanana :-).  The line is: rising fuel costs + de-commissioning and ageing of boats  + reductions in state subsidies for new boats +  a reluctance of youngsters to go to sea will all contribute to a decline in fishing, an increase in fish prices and an increase in stocks.

But who knows?

Amicalement

Craig

Dog, this could have been a fascinating debate and you might have found out that many people are not unsympathetic to your point of view and do care about the origins of their food, but your rather unfortunate use of language and the tone has somewhat jaundiced it all. It is a pity as there is lots to learn.

You are right Wooly, but I think a more pressing question is how much will people be able to afford to care ?

Our local news featured a farmer who farms organic sheep, now he is going to give up and go back to being non organic because he simply can't afford the organic food for the flock.

Yes, this debate could have been interesting, but being called cruel meat eaters or fish something has made it sterile.

I respect vegetarians, and think they have courage to resist meat BBQs !!

But the way Dog has despised us all reinforces my position as a meat eater, which is the exact contrary to his goal .

[quote user="woolybanana"]Dog, this could have been a fascinating debate and you might have found out that many people are not unsympathetic to your point of view and do care about the origins of their food, but your rather unfortunate use of language and the tone has somewhat jaundiced it all. It is a pity as there is lots to learn.[/quote]

I am not looking for symapthy I just want to help relieve myopic behaviour and refusal to understand corruption and cruelty. You may be restricted in your vocabulary but I like to use the language to its full extent. Stop trying to put me down and get learning.

[quote user="Frenchie"]

Yes, this debate could have been interesting, but being called cruel meat eaters or fish something has made it sterile.

I respect vegetarians, and think they have courage to resist meat BBQs !!

But the way Dog has despised us all reinforces my position as a meat eater, which is the exact contrary to his goal .

[/quote]

Some might say "Stick your head futher into the sand".

I find it incredible that more people do not enjoy a healthy diet.

It might be an idea just to admit if you do not really care about the animals you eat or where they come from.

I wonder when a thread will start on the relationship between cancer and diet?

I was on the point of completely destroying your argument then remembered my earlier posting.

However you still have not responded on South Africa are animals more important than human beings.

Be brave Dog show us your pedigree and comment upon South Africa and its approach both to wildlife and human beings.

Your actions will give us the man.

Dog - I agree with your facts but often the best way to encourage people to re-think what they eat is not by 'throwing stones'.  If you really want to encourage this, maybe re-think the language you use (it is a bit aggressive - and when did that ever win anybody over to your side?)  Use language in order to help achieve your desired end result, rather than putting people's back's up?

(by the way, are you vegan?   )

[quote user="dragonrouge"]

I was on the point of completely destroying your argument then remembered my earlier posting.

However you still have not responded on South Africa are animals more important than human beings.

Be brave Dog show us your pedigree and comment upon South Africa and its approach both to wildlife and human beings.

Your actions will give us the man.

[/quote]

Please forgive me I did reply at length yesterday but the ether seems to have swallowed the post.

I have no pedigree.

I didn't reply to your post first time about wine as I thought it was a red herring as the thread was about food.

You mentioned the vinyard were they farmed by lunar cycles but you couldn't remember the name - this would probably be Bio Dynamics where they do spray contrary to what you said but it is not pesticides - they use a homeopathic type of natural mix that they potentize. I am sure you are au fait with homeopathy so will not go into potentizing further.

Rudolph Steiner came up with this method of sustainable farming and it is a very natural method with many benefits. You should ask the people that use this method if they eat flesh as Steiner advocated a vegetarian diet.

I cannot make comment on your thoughts on South African wine as you didn't say why it was so bad.

I haven't visited SA. Though there was a TV program the other day about SA wine production and the vinyards they showed were well run, though it did not go into what farming methods they used. It was more about all the community working together. There is though a snobbery against Pinnotage it seems.

I don't think some areas in France can be held up as having the best methods Bordeaux is a monoculture which is not too good for the environment and they spray chemicals liberally it seems.

Are animals more important than human beings? - strange question as humans are animals though it seems to be forgotten.

Please feel free to completely destroy my position what was this vanquishing exocet?

Doggie ol' chap, I am just wondering whether a decent steak frites would not make you a somewhat less angry little person. Certainly, your diet does not seem to be improving your humours.

Or perhaps a hobby, maybe nettle rubbing.

As to the issues you raise, I have been aware of many for a lot of years. Who or what I choose to eat is my own decision. I certainly do not need invective from you or anyone else. One would however welcome the most up to date statistics and thought from the scientific community in order to reconsider ones position.

By the way, have to noticed the recent endorsements of hunting foxes with dogs from various caring groups, one I think being Jonathon Porridge or is it Partridge.

[quote user="chocccie"]

Dog - I agree with your facts but often the best way to encourage people to re-think what they eat is not by 'throwing stones'.  If you really want to encourage this, maybe re-think the language you use (it is a bit aggressive - and when did that ever win anybody over to your side?)  Use language in order to help achieve your desired end result, rather than putting people's back's up?

(by the way, are you vegan?   )

[/quote]

It hasn't been quite one sided.

I think these people havn't a hope in hells chance of changing their ways they have always eaten meat and fish and will continue to until there are no fish left and the seas are a toxic sludge.

Shock therapy may work.

The language meat eaters use is hypocritical and designed to mislead. They call dead pigs when they eat them pork, dead cows when eaten are called beef, dead sheep are mutton etc etc. It disguises the source of the flesh of dead animals, the early english stole the French words as they were posher and used in the royal palaces.

Chocccie I'll tell you if I am vegan if you tell what diet you follow?

Tonight I am eating Mushroom and Watercress Pate with home baked wholemeal bread from the wood oven followed by Home Smoked Tofu in a Trompette of Death Sauce with Roast Casava and Bette. Dessert is Plum Crumble - wine is 1999 Tarragona from Spain.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Doggie ol' chap, I am just wondering whether a decent steak frites would not make you a somewhat less angry little person. Certainly, your diet does not seem to be improving your humours.

Or perhaps a hobby, maybe nettle rubbing.

As to the issues you raise, I have been aware of many for a lot of years. Who or what I choose to eat is my own decision. I certainly do not need invective from you or anyone else. One would however welcome the most up to date statistics and thought from the scientific community in order to reconsider ones position.

By the way, have to noticed the recent endorsements of hunting foxes with dogs from various caring groups, one I think being Jonathon Porridge or is it Partridge.

[/quote]

I am not angry just concerned. There is no such then as a good steak and chips - in the restaurants you go to it probably doesn't even come from a cow. But I'm sure you know that.

Your investive is fine though - I love it.

Being a Daily Mail reader I am sure you keep up to date with things.

I just know you love harrying foxes to death ripping them apart and eating them - if you visit Chinese restaurants you will certainly have had them many times and been robbed as you thought it was chicken

Thanks for the blog btw my mother in law had insomnia the other night and I got her to read your blog it only took a minute and she was off to sleep within two minutes - slightly strange as I was snoring after thirty seconds.

Dog, I am so glad that you are getting some real intellectual input from reading my blog. I'll keep it simple if you like.

Actually, the reason for getting rid of foxes is because they are vermin. Having eaten real Chinese food, including dog and snake (though not monkey brains), I can vouch for the entire range.

By the way, I frequently eat vegetarian as I enjoy it and would welcome an invitation to your table if that is a typical menu. As would others I am sure. So, come on, convince us by example then.

By the way, are you vegan or do you eat all those little eggies with the little baby chickies and duckies and quaileys(?) or even gooseys inside?

PS, I am writing my blog at the moment so keep the little piggy (ooops) eyes peeled and get a sense of humour, there's a good chap.

Oh, Dog, enjoy your dinner.  I do understand what you're saying on this thread.

Remember my OH does not eat meat and only the little bit of fish that I make him eat because I run out of what to feed a tall man of 6 foot to ensure he has all the nutrition he needs.  Plus he is elderly (78) so I am indulgent!

As for me, I was brought up to eat what is available and, although I have tried not eating meat, I find that I am hungry if I don't.

I accept all that you say about cruelty to animals etc but I think that, by cooking separate meals everyday for nigh on 30 years, I have done by "bit", such as it is.

I do my best to eat good food, free-range eggs, ditto chicken, etc and I'm afraid that that is as far as I am prepared to go.

I admire you for the stand you are taking and I for one will never shout you down.  We need people like you with stated principles that you will not give up.  So, you just go on saying and thinking what you feel is right.

Good Luck to you.  You are very brave and I couldn't run down your arguments even if I wanted to (which I don't!)

[quote user="Dog"]

The language meat eaters use is hypocritical and designed to mislead. They call dead pigs when they eat them pork, dead cows when eaten are called beef, dead sheep are mutton etc etc. It disguises the source of the flesh of dead animals, the early english stole the French words as they were posher and used in the royal palaces.

[/quote]

This just gets sillier.

Language is NOT used for the purpose you describe - the words have simply evolved through common usage over centuries.

Sheep flesh is called lamb or mutton according to the age of the animal.

Cattle flesh is called beef

and so on.

There's no meat-eaters conspiracy to pretend we're not eating meat!

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Dog, I am so glad that you are getting some real intellectual input from reading my blog. I'll keep it simple if you like.

Actually, the reason for getting rid of foxes is because they are vermin. Having eaten real Chinese food, including dog and snake (though not monkey brains), I can vouch for the entire range.

By the way, I frequently eat vegetarian as I enjoy it and would welcome an invitation to your table if that is a typical menu. As would others I am sure. So, come on, convince us by example then.

By the way, are you vegan or do you eat all those little eggies with the little baby chickies and duckies and quaileys(?) or even gooseys inside?

PS, I am writing my blog at the moment so keep the little piggy (ooops) eyes peeled and get a sense of humour, there's a good chap.

[/quote]

Stick to the soporific blog. Foxes are not vermin. Get some basic biology lessons.

[quote user="Dog"]There is no such then as a good steak and chips - in the restaurants you go to it probably doesn't even come from a cow. But I'm sure you know that.[/quote]

Apart from your apparent intimate knowledge as to which establishments the worthy banana patronises - can you share your theory about what it IS that's masquerading as steak?

[quote user="Dog"]

I just know you love harrying foxes to death ripping them apart and eating them - if you visit Chinese restaurants you will certainly have had them many times and been robbed as you thought it was chicken

[/quote]

I refuse to believe that anyone could eat fox meat and still think it was chicken. If it were so I'm sure that Hugh F-W and Jamie O. would have told us about it.

[quote user="chrisb"][quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

This just gets sillier.

Language is NOT used for the purpose you describe - the words have simply evolved through common usage over centuries.

Sheep flesh is called lamb or mutton according to the age of the animal.

Cattle flesh is called beef

and so on.

There's no meat-eaters conspiracy to pretend we're not eating meat!

[/quote]

Yawn - do some research about language.