Do you care where your food comes from ?

Frederick

I bought some Basa fillets from the supermarket fish counter....They looked nice firm white fish..and tasted very good ....Basa was a name I was not famliar with and googled it and discovered it was a catfish  ...Fine no problem with that...I then discovered it is farmed in huge quantities in pens in the Mekon river in Vietnam.. and sold all over the world ...I learned what else goes in the river.....  yuk !......I think in future I might just give a bit more attention to where my fish comes from...

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't buy from the North Sea all the PCBs.

Don't buy Tuna as they are responsible for many Dolphin deaths.

In fact why eat fish? Let them be...

In my opinion all fisherman should be locked up for theft as the fish do not belong to them - at least farmers put something into production - fishermen just steal them unless they are farmed and usually in conditions that are bad for the environment.

As it happens Dog I like fishing ....have spent many hours since a kid trying to catch my supper... with success on occasions .....I am looking forward to the new Robson Green series on " Fishing "..... I enjoyed the last one ..now there.... is.... a happy man..... who can travel the world ....just to go fishing !.  As for fish not belonging to people ..there are lots of club members fishing lakes and rivers that have been stocked at great expense that might not agree with you ...

I thought you were refering earlier to bought fish.

Neverthless 400 years ago it was known that fish had feelings and to pull them out of the water to look at or eat is cruel in the extreme.

If fishermen liked fish they would just happily observe them rather than harass them.

If only fish could scream!

Dog

Some fish  do make a noise...I hooked a few puffer fish in Australia. last year ..they make a popping noise as they inflate in your hand while you get the hook out .....You will be pleased to know that Nimos mates soon deflated and swam off when put back in ......

[quote user="Frederick"]I bought some Basa fillets from the supermarket fish counter....They looked nice firm white fish..and tasted very good ....Basa was a name I was not famliar with and googled it and discovered it was a catfish  ...Fine no problem with that...I then discovered it is farmed in huge quantities in pens in the Mekon river in Vietnam.. and sold all over the world ...I learned what else goes in the river.....  yuk !......I think in future I might just give a bit more attention to where my fish comes from...

[/quote]

Trouble is we cannot often tell where it is sourced, there are few details on display in most fish emporia.

Regards

Simon

JR wrote:

There's plenty more fish in the sea my son"

-----------------------------------------------

Oh, so untrue JR!  Viz. the cod fishery off the Newfoundland Banks .  The fish used to be so abundant, it was said you could walk from boat to boat across the backs of the fish and never get your feet wet!  Closed in the '70s due to over-fishing and has never recovered since, and possibly never will ...

Btw, there was an interesting piece in the Midi Libre last week.  It concerned the owner of a couple of Sete tuna boats who had been killed in a small plane accident in Panama.  Nothing of especial note there, you might think ... presumably he was just on holiday.

But no.  He was actually out there scouting for new places to send his boats now that the Mediterranean fishery has been closed because of repeated violations of catch limits and because the tuna boats can't go fishing in the Indian ocean because of the Somali pirates.  Just a single example of the attitude that it's ok to expoilt one natural resource to destruction and simply move onto the next ...

But then again, I don't simplistically blame the fishermen.  I'm always amazed by the number of people who express concern for the natural environment, but consume tuna (and other pelagic species like swordfish) without a passing thought ...

Hey ho

Craig

This thread is sooo extreme.....

Of course certain category of fish need to be protected , but there are fishermen who respect international rules !!

Dog, I may have a simple reasoning in your view, but fox eats chicken,  chicken eats worms, and I eat fish.........

I'm sorry Dog but you don't know me and you can't say that..

I buy Label Rouge meat most of the time, and only free range eggs, and in Intermarché you know where the fish comes from .

Same thing at the market of course.

I have no pb with eating meat or fish, and I am an animal lover.

As long as the animal is killed without unecessary suffering I don't see anything wrong with that. 

[quote user="Dog"]I see you don't give a toss where your food comes from.[/quote]

Some from our veg garden, some from Leclerc etc and some from the local markets.

Dog, unless you practice Jainism I smell hypocrisy - but you are as entitled to your views as I am to mine.

John

[quote user="Frenchie"]

<snip> ... but there are fishermen who respect international rules !![/quote]

Yes, Frenchie, of course there are.  And these fishermen are very often the best source of information about those fishermen who don't.

However, it is also true that international fishing is very difficult, verging on impossible, to police.  If we can't manage it here in the Mediterranean or the North Atlantic, we should not expect it to be better in waters that lie off-shore countries which have far fewer resources - Panama or Somalia, for example, when it comes to tuna.

As consumers, one step we can take is to select fish which is locally caught and processed.  But that can be very difficult to ascertain - I mean, who do you believe?  Your local super-market?  Really?

Having a simple knowledge of what swims off our shores is a good way to start :-).  But we should also seek to inform ourselves about species that are widely recognised as being over-fished - cod, haddock, tuna, shark (including dogfish), swordfish, sole, plaice, eel, wild salmon, toothfish etc.

For more examples, go

http://www.endangeredfishalliance.org/news/2007/20071218B.htm

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/seafood/red-list-of-species

But I feel sure you know this already, so I'll shut up now!

Amicalement

Craig

"J.R's gone native" wrote:

Ah well if it was printed in Viz it must be true [:D]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure why I'm replying to this as it's an obvious troll remark; but, just in case anyone would like to know more about cod and the Newfoundland fishery, one source is:

"Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World", by Mark Kurlansky, ISBN 10: 0224051040.

Amicalement

Craig

[quote user="ventodue"]

"J.R's gone native" wrote:

Ah well if it was printed in Viz it must be true [:D]

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure why I'm replying to this as it's an obvious troll remark; but, just in case anyone would like to know more about cod and the Newfoundland fishery, one source is:

"Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World", by Mark Kurlansky, ISBN 10: 0224051040.

Amicalement

Craig

[/quote]

Thats the nicest thing that I have been called for a long time [:D]

The book sounds fascinating but I will stick to my Viz annuals as I can always trade them here in France when I finish reading them.

If it had been an auto-biography of a cod then I may have been tempted.