Gammon

woolybanana

Well, OH doesn't eat meat and I am eating less and less, not, I hasten to say because of any great incontrovertible principle but because, since my attack of la grippe porcine in the summer, I find meat very difficult to digest.

Not wanting to sound goody-goody but, for the last 4 years (since we no longer had any duty to feed anybody a traditional Christmas meal), we have taken sandwiches and gone out for a long walk.

We normally donate a cheque to the value of what we would have consumed if we'd had the turkey and trimmings affair to Crisis at Christmas or Oxfam.

Just prefer NOT to stuff myself with food and also would rather someone else has something traditional and good to eat.  After all, I can always stuff myself for the other 264 days of the year![:P]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Well, OH doesn't eat meat and I am eating less and less, not, I hasten to say because of any great incontrovertible principle but because, since my attack of la grippe porcine in the summer, I find meat very difficult to digest.

Not wanting to sound goody-goody but, for the last 4 years (since we no longer had any duty to feed anybody a traditional Christmas meal), we have taken sandwiches and gone out for a long walk.

We normally donate a cheque to the value of what we would have consumed if we'd had the turkey and trimmings affair to Crisis at Christmas or Oxfam.

Just prefer NOT to stuff myself with food and also would rather someone else has something traditional and good to eat.  After all, I can always stuff myself for the other 264 days of the year![:P]

[/quote]

I always used to try and go to a country over the festive season in UK that did not celebrate Christmas - but it got harder and harder within budget.

I agree with your idea of eating less and donating to a worthy cause a sandwhich and a bottle of wine on a deserted beach or hillside is far more reflective and relaxing.

Go on give the pig a miss this year - they are lovely animals and so intelligent!

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="sweet 17"] After all, I can always stuff myself for the other 264 days of the year![:P][/quote]
That's a really short year you have there Sweet; what are you doing on the other 100 days? [8-)]

[/quote]

Sue, if you'd read my thread entitled Grasp on Reality, you will realise that it's nothing for me to lose days, weeks and months at any one time!

Oh, I so wish I could get my head around the time and where and what I should be doing but, it's receding from me all the time.  It's very frustrating.

Only this afternoon, I MADE the OH look at my walking programme with the Randos and clarify for me where the walk was and whether I was thinking about the right date!

Not only that, I seem to be asking him to turn up the TV all the time.

Sooooooooo, not only am I losing my grip, I must be going deaf as well...........Help......

If this is Old Age, I want NONE of it, thanks!

Thanks for that link, Théière. Oh dear, that seems to tell me not to look for my specs; I think I'd worry even more if I couldn't read, use the computer etc. Maybe I need one of those strings you hang your specs round your neck on; but I think I'd look even more the retired schoolmistress[:)]

There's nothing wrong with a string for your specs, especially if you only use them for reading, as I do.

Its bad enough having to carry them around all day but when you need to regularly read something out on site its a pain in the neck to get them out of the case, put case back in pocket, put glasses on, read for a few seconds, then reverse the whole procedure. Much easier if they are on a string round your neck.

I am certainly not retired, nor a schoolperson, and nobody even looks 'sideways' at my glasses on a string.

Nothing at all wrong with the retired schoolmistress look, in some circles it's very popular. (Nudge, nudge, [;-)][;-)] ) To rock the CSI medical examiner look try something like this...

[img]http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/draft_lens2271372module12423263photo_1225746854red_prod.jpg[/img]

I prefer a personalised version of my trusty Readers Digest recipe for Gammon in Cider, that is to marinade it in the cider overnight, then cook in cider for the first part, then finish in the oven with marmalade liberally spread for the glaze; serve with Waitrose red cabbage with apple, and potato wedges roast in Duck fat. You may need plenty of cider with Rosé to wash it down.[:)]