Masterchef - French Pork Pie

Doodle

Wednesday evening I watched Masterchef The Professionals and saw Michel Roux jr make a french pork pie with apple and chestnuts and a british salad cream as one of the tests for the chefs. It looked lovely and I wonder if anyone on the forum knows where I can find the recipe for both items. I've googled but can't come up with anything except his venison pie. I can't remember all of the ingredients and he purposely didn't give any quantities.

Thanks.

When we saw that episode the other day, Mrs G pointed out for the 143rd time in our married life that when we first met and used to go out for a drink, my culinary delight was a Pork Pie with HP Sauce.

The public house in question was locally known as 'The Dog', otherwise known as 'The Greyhound'.

I could eat one now (a Pork Pie that is)!

[quote user="Gengulphus"]There is a clip of his Petit Pâté de Porc des Cévennes (with chestnuts, etc.) here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpgr3W59xE8&list=PL75979A2D1505E454&index=31

(But I don't have a television  -  so I can't tell if it is the same thing… )[/quote]

That's the one - thank you although it's taken from the TV series and he doesn't give measurements but I can probably work it out from watching the clip although I usually mess up with guess work !!

the recipe is here, from his book "cooking with the masterchef" --> http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GA8rdZBrDAIC&pg=PT190&lpg=PT190&dq=michel+roux+jr+apple+and+chestnut+pork+pie+recipe&source=bl&ots=_28rMVy4S3&sig=iffEUAMVoI6p59jSv4rRAKc0PPs&hl=en&sa=X&ei=_wmSUrjaEZPwhQfKi4GQCw&ved=0CGUQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=michel%20roux%20jr%20apple%20and%20chestnut%20pork%20pie%20recipe&f=false

hope the pie turns out well

OK, a bit like the Pork Pie thing, there was no recipe as such, but I just did pretty much what she did.

Saute off in butter a couple of scallops (sliced across if they're particularly large ones) and then add some shrimps and take off the heat.  I used peeled crevettes grises, but you could use uncooked or cooked small prawns. Season.

Now the savoury sabayon.  Beat 2 egg yolks for 5 mins over a pan of gently simmering water and add a 'splash' of wine (she used champagne, but i just used white wine).  Add about half of that quantity of beaten cream (say 30 - 40 mls) to the egg yolk mixture: when I say beaten cream, it doesn't need to be a stiff mixture, just a bit of air into it.  Mix the whole lot.

Put the shellfish in to suitable heatproof dishes and nap the sauce. Place under a hot grill for a minute or two until golden brown and serve with lashings of bread.

Really, you could put just about anything in to the mixture - some sauteed mushrooms, palourdes, mussels.

The above quantities would be a starter for 2.  I used 3 egg yolks and slightly more shellfish as a main course.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it was - enjoy!    

Off topic for just one single sentence, I promise!

Gardian, don't forget you were going to PM me some info on electric radiators![:)]

Now, for pies, I have bought some really dinky pie moulds, allows you to make various sizes of semi-circular pies with lovely crimped edges and also moulds for triangular things like samosas and square things like ravioli.

Don't know if any of you have eaten curry puffs?  Very popular in the Far East and, of course, in India itself.  They seem to be filled with curried minced meat and vegetables.

Well, using my new moulds, Idun's pastry recipe and a bit of leftover rice, I have added curry spices, herbs, currants and grated coconut (also some cheese!  yeah, I know but I use cheese in all pies as it helps the filling to stick together when cooked[:-))].  I have made 18 pasties, or whatever they are called.  Haven't baked them yet but I'll let you know if they work OK or have to be given to an already overweight dog![:-))]

In India, they would fry the puffs but, disliking deep-frying, I shall be baking them. 

Actually, Pommier, I bought them at the HomeExpo in Bordeaux when it was on earlier this month.

I feel very proud of them as the edges look so nice and the pastries look like opened out fans; also each pasty looks just like the next one.  I have not, however, try the smallest sized demi lune as I have to wait until I feel up to doing apéros for a couple of guests.

I thought my friend, who has just had a grandson would be back from the UK and we could wet its head in the Dordogne but, apparently, she is now staying there until after Christmas.

Pity you live too far away, Pommier, to come and see and taste.

I was also tempted by a mould that allows you to make 14 (or perhaps it was 16) mini crossants.  You fill the mould with whatever, scrape off all the excess filling and you end up with identical elongated triangles with just the right amount of filling that you simply roll up and bend slightly to make crescents.

In a fit of generosity, I gave my 5-euro voucher to one of my French neighbours (who has a large family) and then I didn't want to spend the full price [:-))]

All this inspires to suggest that its 'Recipe Time'.  Here's three to whet the appetite.

Recipe No 1: SMOKED SALMON IN LEMON SAUCE PASTA (for 2)

Melt a good knob of butter in a small saucepan and when foaming, add the juice and zest of a whole lemon. When warmed, add 3 or 4 good dollops of creme fraiche and whisk.  Set aside.

Cook some penne rigate (say 140gms for 2, but more if you want) and towards the end of the cooking, add a good couple of handfuls of fresh trimmed & rinsed spinach to the pasta.  When the spinach has wilted, add the sauce and mix, and finally 90gms-ish of diced smoked salmon (one of those packs of smoked salmon lardons @ €2.50 is perfect). 

Serve immediately, perhaps with some grated parmesan.

Recipe No 2: BEEF SATAY KEBABS (for 2)

Prepare the satay marinade.  Blitz 2 peeled shallots (or 1 medium onion) with a hefty spoon of peanut butter, the same of soft dark brown sugar, a few glugs of soy sauce, a tsp of crushed garlic and chilli to taste (I use a sprinkling of chilli flakes + a good dash of pepper sauce).

Prepare some thumb-sized strips of decent beef steak.  You could cut up a 250gm piece of faux filet - alternatively, we tend to set aside and freeze those little 'bits & bobs' off the end of a steak for this very dish.

Marinade the meat for at least 2 hrs.  Put on skewers (but it could be little cocktail sticks as a 'nibble' for 4) and sear off on a really hot griddle for 60 secs max each side (trust me!).  Any left over marinade can be warmed through with a tiny splash of water as a side sauce.

Recipe No 3 PORK CHOP, CHIPS & BAKED BEANS

No recipe: no cooking instructions.  I love it, Mrs G hates it.   

Choc Chip cookies

170g  flour (plain or self raising)

85g butter

85g demerara sugar

85g granulated sugar (or use just 1 type of sugar)

1/4 teaspoon Vanilla essence

1 egg

57g chopped nuts

115g chocolate chips

Mix all together, put teaspoon sized lumps on a baking sheet well spaced out (no need to roll out or make circular, this happens magically in the cooking)

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes 190oC

When they are hot from the oven they are soft and a bit gooey but soon cool into crisp biscuits

Makes about 24

I made these for work colleagues on Monday, all gone by 09h30 !!

Thanks, Pierre, just wondering what to make quickly that would fill in oven space and these will just fit the bill.

Tartiflette already beingplanned as the plat du jour as it's so cold that only the snow is missing for skiing!

Keep warm....

Pierre, they were delicious.....and very more-ish.

I used chopped up 70% dark chocolate and walnuts, of which I always have an abundance.  But I think they might also be nice with cranberries and hazel nuts. 

I did roll them up into little balls and made 24 as per your recipe.  They come up with a nice dome but, in future, I think I'll flatten them a bit before baking so that they will be thinner.