Masterchef - French Pork Pie

Doodle

As a change from tartiflette how about the British version, homity pie? Cook about 3 sliced onions together with a couple of garlic cloves and some thyme. When they're starting to brown mix them with some boiled potatoes (not mashed, just broken together) plus any bits of cheese, cooked leeks (if you like them) cream (or creme fraiche), herbs, anything else you fancy. Leave it to cool. Line a dish with flaky pastry, pile in the filling, bit of cheese on top and bake it. Lovely with gammon or sausages.

I've just made some of these for UK visitors and some french neighbours - they all loved them (so did I) and so I had to confess to them that it wasn't a recipe I'd made up and had to hand them the recipe book with pens and paper - do try them as they are not difficlut to make and I think the next best thing to an english bacon and egg sarnie!

http://eatlittlebird.com/2012/04/19/croque-madame-muffins/

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Pierre, they were delicious.....and very more-ish.

I used chopped up 70% dark chocolate and walnuts, of which I always have an abundance.  But I think they might also be nice with cranberries and hazel nuts. 

I did roll them up into little balls and made 24 as per your recipe.  They come up with a nice dome but, in future, I think I'll flatten them a bit before baking so that they will be thinner. 

[/quote]

It's always nice to hear when someone has made somthing and it turned out good!

I use hazel nuts as that is what I have in abundace usually, I had never thought of cranberries - good call, I'll try it

We are having a little competition at work on Monday where each team nominates someone to prepare something and then a **Michelin chef is going to judge. Guess who didn't step back fast enough so I'll be doing the cookies again.  The prize is a meal at said chef's restaurant [:P] but I won't win as some of the proposed entries are staggeringly good 

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Well we had our bake-off competition at work and....

Guess who came dead last?

Apparently the cookies weren't sweet enough !!!

[/quote]

Pierre, I made more cookies today, this time using flaked almonds and cranberries.  I don't think they were as good as the chocolate chip ones but I was in a rush and didn't have time to chop nuts and chocolate so just used "ready" ingredients.

I understand why they thought the cookies weren't sweet enough, indeed they are not very sweet but I prefer them like that as many sweet things just taste sickly to me. 

I also made the baked dakos dish of Ottolenghi's that I posted earlier on this thread and they were a very surprising taste (in a good way!) and not like anything I have ever cooked before.  I think the dish might also taste good cold.

Should make a nice starter or a main course dish eaten in the sun with some salad and lots of chilled dry white wine.  Would be easy to do for a crowd.