Kindle

idun

I think having a kindle enables me to read even more as I can take it everywhere with me and read it in places where its difficult to read a Book ( in bed for instance ) .

I dont think it will make me stop buying real books at all - but it takes the panic out of thinking I might run out of something to read  and an upside of owning a kindle may well be that I can let go of some of my many hundreds of books that are piled upeverywhere

There's a vast amount of free books available from Project Gutenberg and from a number of universities too (eg the University of Adelaide).

The formatting isn't always as good as it might be, and nearly all the books are ones that are out of copyright. There are a few exceptions to this, some of them very good reading: for example, Edward Upward's semi-autobiographical trilogy "The Spiral Ascent" has been put on the web in digital form by his grandson, for free downloads.

These ones won't be sitting in your Amazon account if you lose your Kindle, so you'd be well advised to download the free "Calibre" software and keep your library in backup form on your PC.

I'm in the middle of reading the Forsyte Saga on my Kindle. The books are all available on Gutenberg and it's a great read, though whether it's quite so good for people who haven't seen the BBC TV version is another question.

I have books and Kindle too. For sitting in sun, relaxing and reading in bed at night or on holiday, Kindle. For time in winter when I want to curl up -book.

I have all the books on the Kindle I have always said I'd read - A Christmas Carol, The Legends of King Arthur & The Sherlock Holmes novels. Plus of course my Terry Pratchetts (also in book form and some signed!) x

Just turned on my Kindle this morning and the latest copy of the Statesman pinged into life and I'm sitting in bed in a hospital in France.  How neat is that?  If you get that Kindles fulfil a slighly different purpose from books then you'll love one, Idun.  Especially when you're cut off  as I am, from the thousands of "real" books and mags I have at home.

The true beauty of the written word is the insight into the mind of the writer and what that does for you intelectually and emotionally.  It matters little what medium it's on.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

The true beauty of the written word is the insight into the mind of the writer and what that does for you intelectually and emotionally.  It matters little what medium it's on.

[/quote]

Well said Coops. I'm not really sure why? but I'm not into Kindle type reading apparatus yet, but your comment  is so true, maybe I'll catch up one day as I'm sure that the publishers will find it easier and cheaper to go down this road eventually. By the way, best wishes and I hope your health is improving. [B]

• 1 month later...
The Guardian and Observer have now been added to Kindle.  £10 a month for both.  Yes, I know they're not everybody's cup of tea but still make excellent value for instant news and make a change from the Murdoch domination on the Kindle thus far.  The downside is that you lose the things the next day but still - makes a much better proposition than the cover price!