Kindle

idun

Sorry I haven't the time to go through all the pages on the kindle wow thread, so I'll ask here.

I am seriously considering saving and getting a kindle, but I like my books and as I am rather tactile and am wondering if I will be happy holding a machine in my hands instead of a book, as holding the book and turning the pages is for me part of the 'magic' of reading a book; 

Please tell me how you have found kindles and it you miss actually holding a book in your hands.

Not read it either!

My wife has one, and loves it. Personally I prefer paper.

Two issues she has, one is that although her first language is French, she prefers to read in English or Castellano. Choice here is not so great. Second, also won't apply in the UK, and that is the fixed book prices. I wonder if HADOPI applies to downloading books from foreign providers? Certainly it would be illegal under French law protecting creative works.

Yes, like you I love having books around me, the feel and smell of them etc but I do use kindle now when I can't carry books with me and for times when I want to read something new and don't want to wait til I have time to go and buy it.

I like hardbacks but turning the pages when you are eating or lying in bed is so much easier with a tablet (for me anyhow). I resisted for a long time because I love adding to my physical book collection, but I now also love reading ebooks.

Go on, go for it!

I bought a cover for mine and oddly that helps make it feel more book like - I wasn't sure I'd take to it, but we are four adults who all read quite a bit, in a house meant for 2 adults and 2 children -  I just don't have room to store books  and this is a very acceptable way to save space but still read...

I have only owned my Kindle since the beginning of May when I received one for my 60th birthday. I have always loved my books and still enjoy the page-turning experience, but the Kindle is great, especially if you are on holiday, still wanting to read, but not having to take a great pile of books. I have the 3G variety, which means you can download books straight to the kindle without the need for internet access and I have recently downloaded 7 free books from Amazon, haven't read all of them yet so don't know what quality of books I have received, but still can't be a bad deal. No different from going to the library and borrowing books that you, maybe, don't know if you will like or not.

The cost can vary but is always cheaper than buying a paperback book. I think it is a wonderful innovation and I will enjoy it for now, though I will still buy paper books when the price is right!

I am worried about the lack of typography, do ebooks bother with microtypography?

Do they bother with widows and orphans?

I think ebooks will gain market for the ephemeral paperback but when it comes to a life time book the real thing cannot be beaten.

The feel good and buzz when you find an antique book with notes in the margin or a rant by the author attached to the errata slip will never be acheived with an electronic book.

You will never get a Kindle with an interesting exlibris or signed by the author.

I guess we will see a big division in the market just as in society today, a greater separation.

The rich will always afford the best and they will buy the real thing.

[quote user="Dog"]I am worried about the lack of typography, do ebooks bother with microtypography? Do they bother with widows and orphans? I think ebooks will gain market for the ephemeral paperback but when it comes to a life time book the real thing cannot be beaten. The feel good and buzz when you find an antique book with notes in the margin or a rant by the author attached to the errata slip will never be acheived with an electronic book. You will never get a Kindle with an interesting exlibris or signed by the author. I guess we will see a big division in the market just as in society today, a greater separation. The rich will always afford the best and they will buy the real thing.[/quote]

Oh  poppycock !

My husband has been in the print trade over 50 years and he doesn't have a problem with kindles,  (no widows or orphans so far) I can own 3500 'lifetime' books on my kindle - I simply don't have room for that amount of books in my home

[quote user="breizh"]

Not read it either!

My wife has one, and loves it. Personally I prefer paper.

Two issues she has, one is that although her first language is French, she prefers to read in English or Castellano. Choice here is not so great. Second, also won't apply in the UK, and that is the fixed book prices. I wonder if HADOPI applies to downloading books from foreign providers? Certainly it would be illegal under French law protecting creative works.

[/quote]

I wouldn't have thought HADOPI would be a problem. That law is to stop people illegally downloading stuff for free, if you're buying it how are you infringing on anyone's copyright?

I do prefer to hold a book, but the kindle (or in my case the nook) is so much more convenient to use.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

[quote user="Dog"]I am worried about the lack of typography, do ebooks bother with microtypography? Do they bother with widows and orphans? I think ebooks will gain market for the ephemeral paperback but when it comes to a life time book the real thing cannot be beaten. The feel good and buzz when you find an antique book with notes in the margin or a rant by the author attached to the errata slip will never be acheived with an electronic book. You will never get a Kindle with an interesting exlibris or signed by the author. I guess we will see a big division in the market just as in society today, a greater separation. The rich will always afford the best and they will buy the real thing.[/quote]

Oh  poppycock !

My husband has been in the print trade over 50 years and he doesn't have a problem with kindles,  (no widows or orphans so far) I can own 3500 'lifetime' books on my kindle - I simply don't have room for that amount of books in my home

[/quote]

What did hubby do in the 'print trade'?

There is an amazing range of people within the print trade some are called cabbages.

I reckon you should throw away the kindle and get a bigger house, 3,500 books is a small library.

But I would suggest quality over quantity if you or he hasn't come across an orphan or widow it is only because there are people that care.

The only people I know of who have literally thousands and thousands of books in a fairly normal house have a house that looks like it is inhabited by hoarders now. It is overtaken by books everywhere, they are on the furniture,  the floors are covered, the table, the book shelves are three deep and straining.

They are great people to know if you want a couple of dozen books to read, but they want them back and get them back and then they will lend another couple of dozen. They are one of the reasons that the books I have don't overtake where I live. I couldn't live like them. I live in enough pagaille without being buried in books.

I don't really get the Kindle vs DTB argument - owning one does not prevent owning the other. Quite why anyone would wish to condemn the Kindle I really don't know but it seems that this attitude exists only amongst those who haven't tried one. How others using a Kindle can possibly affect a person who likes paper books remains a mystery so does the need for the veiled insults often aimed at the Kindle. If you don't like the idea don't get one.

The Kindle is an excellent resource when it is impractical to carry round all the books you are reading or are about to read; is small and light and can be read in sunshine; has a battery life of up to a month; allows you access to a huge bookshop 24/7; saves storage space. If you need that buy one.

Get one, love to, but I am on a tight budget at the moment.  So I have to gauge any treats are worth their weight in gold or not.

Lots of sensible comments about getting one though and making me feel inclined to see if my SIL will let me have hers for say a couple of days and see if I like it. 

What did hubby do in the 'print trade'? 

All you need to know is that he started as an apprentice in the days of hot metal and kept up with the times, moved to Mac etc - its not what he did, its what he still does.

If I had a huge house we would probably have more books, but really whats the point - I want to read the book for entertainment . I have no interest in first editions or specific prints, if I did it would be a different matter. 'Hubby' keeps virtually all his books, most of them are non fiction and many have illustrations and thats not the Kindles metier, its simply not what is what is designed for.

At present I'm reading the Brady series of books by JA Jance, a friend sent me all of them in one swoop - when I've read them I'll pass them on to friends in France, I simply don't have room to keep runs of 10 - 12 books. Every now and then I do hang onto a book, Katherine by Anya Seton (I've had a copy of this since I was a tenager and have probably read it 3 or 4 times). Small Island, March, several Alison Weirs and a whole lot of Philippa Gregory (but they will probably have to go soon) 

I still read paper books, but in future I'll look and see if there is Kindle version before buying.

FYI Kindle 'book' sales now exceed paperbacks: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/20110128/tc_yblog_technews/amazon-kindle-books-now-outselling-paperbacks-too

• 1 month later...
I had a Kindle. I say "had" because I've lost it. I'm really sick because I only had it 4 months, and had really enjoyed reading with it since OH had bought me a cover for it which made it more like holding a printed book. I can't remember the last time I had it. I thought I had a vague memory of putting it with some other stuff that was going back to UK, (we've been in France for 3 months), but I can't rely on my memory any more it seems. so I'm in mourning big time.

I use my kindle for the 'read once and forget' paperback thrillers that I read for entertainment. Hardbacks, cookery books, gardening books and anything with illustrations I still buy as hard copies. But when you have just finished one Jack Reacher the satisfaction in downloading the next and get straight on reading is great!!!!

ps Frecossais, I am pretty sure that if you get another Kindle (via insurance or otherwise) they will download all the books you have previously bought to the new device. It's a bit Big Brother!

Everything you ever order for the Kindle is available on your Amazon account for download again. If you get a new kindle, register it to the same account as the old one: go to ''manage your kindle'' (on the left of the Kindle page), then from your ''Kindle Library'' you can download the books again.

I was given one as an early birthday present so I could take it on holiday.

Absolutely love it!  It now goes everywhere with me.

(but not, as my son said, you can spend hours on the loo [+o(]  )

There is so much that is right about it. The display is awesome and because its e-ink it uses zero power to display so a charge lasts more than a month (less if you have wi-fi turned on but hey...)

I've 'only' got a hundred or so books on it at the moment and that takes a fraction of the available memory.  On holiday I was reading a real book but didn't finish it so whilst waiting in the airport I though Hmmm I wonder if its in the Kindle store?  2 minutes and €3.95 later I had the book!

I like the feel of it, just the right weight and fits in the hands nicely.  I have a cover but prefer to take it out when I'm using it.  Yes I still like books, I even bought one last week! but for me this is the way forward. I'll keep my hardbacks but I'll probably give my paperbacks to a charity shop or do that thing where you leave them on a park bench for someone to take and hopefully enjoy.

As a bonus, its a web browser using GPRS or wi-fi.  It's a bit limited but good enough for picking up emails or checking bus times [geek] but its free [:-))]

These threads on kindle are brilliant and I think I'm going to succumb - by experimenting on my MIL first! As someone with poor eyesight, she will love the option to enlarge the text and the weight will be less than a full size hardback.

On another note, this was posted on another forum:

http://bibliobs.nouvelobs.com/actualites/20110727.OBS7748/un-monde-sans-libraire.html

Interesting article on how the French publishing industry is feeling the downturn like everywhere else. But the reasons given for it are unique... And no mention of the looming threat of digital sales.