Right to compensation caused by grève

There have occasionally been cases where the SNCF has given compensation, for late running etc, but  usually in the case of a grève

Selon la loi, toute entreprise doit remplir son engagement contractuel.

En cas de non-respect, elle doit réparer les dommages subis par ses

clients. Mais, dans la pratique, la SNCF ou la Poste, par exemple,

invoquent toujours la grève comme un cas de force majeure afin de

s'exonérer de toute responsabilité."

http://www.dossierfamilial.com/conso/droits-demarches/greves-quelle-indemnisation-obtenir,1107

Did you pay with a card which might have an insurance?

Sorry to hear about your dilemma crazyfrog (a.k.a.

HoneySuckleDreams

). I think if you are lucky the cost of the train ticket might be refunded by SNCF but I am not sure about the flight ticket. Do you have travel insurance? If so you may be able to claim compensation from them.

For once I had sympathy with SNCF and their strike. They we all horrifed by the dreadful attack on one their staff onboard a train and came out on strike in protest.

I have every sympathy with the railmen and agree that some show of solidarity and support was in order. But I'm not sure a lightening strike was the right choice. If SNCF were percieved to be somewhat lacking when it came to staff safety, then a strike would be in order, if all the public didn't give a ****, then a stike would be in order. But when everyone seems to be outraged and upset by what happened, why take an action that hurts your supporters?

Carte Bleu i'm afraid.

Cendrillon: what was the motive for the attack? Striking for what purpose? So the next time, some inbred wants to have a pop at an SNCF employee they will stop and think to themselves... "hang on me old mucker...if I kick this bloke, his mates will go on strike...so i won't bother". I don't think so somehow. Is it going to stop further attacks? No. Why have a strike on a friday afternoon when the only people you piss of are the punters. Why not have a strike on a monday morning so that business suffers as a result of no-one turning up and actually might put pressure on the government to do something about it?  Go one strike but tell people you are going to do it so that I can boycott that mode and find alternative arrangements. I was for kicking 7shades of shit out of them last night as one cancelled train ment I missed my youngest sons birthday. 30 minutes notice would have been fine by me as I could have got an earlier train.

rant over.

Assaults on rail staff happen every day in the UK .

London Transport Underground staff take a lot of abuse and injuries from assaults ...

If they all went on strike every time a staff member took an injury then the trains would, never run . What has the French strike action achieved ?

How can staff or anybody else be protected from mentally insane people when they have to come into contact with them on trains ? Striking will not change anything .

A horrible attack and I would not wish even the mildest of abuse to any train staff, I guess I dont even need to say that but...................

I cannot understand why they went out on strike in this instance other than that they can, dont give a rats about their customers.

Solidarity?? - my ar5e, solidarity means at the very least some loss or suffering like other strikers would endure, shaving our hair off would be a gesture of solidarity for Cooperlola to show that we support her etc.

I wonder if the injured controller feels better to know that people could not get home to their families because SNCF workers across the company  fancied having a long weekend.

What demands if any did they make of their employers or the government?

Two of my children were stranded in Bordeaux due to the lightning train strike last week.  A bus was eventually put on but they took 4 exhausted hours to get home on a journey that would usually take an hour.  I felt sympathy because they had been told that they had been a stabbing on a train.  I naturally assumed that the stabbing was in Bordeaux and that the train had been stopped as it was a crime scene.

Then I found out that the stabbing was hundreds of miles away in Strasbourg/Lyons.  I was not pleased (an understatement).

As my young son pointed out, if an electrician in one part of France gets electrocuted, does that mean that all electricians down tools?  Did the trains in Germany go on strike?  After all, Strasbourg is nearer to Germany than Bordeaux.

Yes, I know, that c'est la France but it just isn't good enough.

[quote user="Frederick"]Assaults on rail staff happen every day in the UK . London Transport Underground staff take a lot of abuse and injuries from assaults ... If they all went on strike every time a staff member took an injury then the trains would, never run . What has the French strike action achieved ? How can staff or anybody else be protected from mentally insane people when they have to come into contact with them on trains ? Striking will not change anything .[/quote]

The fact that SNCF are not permenently on strike must mean that attackes on staff are relatively rare.  Maybe that is what strike action achieves. 

Apparently it wasn't a strike:

Ce n'était pas une grève mais un droit de retrait:

Textes de référence : articles L 231-8, L 231-9 et R 242-1 du Code du travail
"Tout salarié (ou groupe de salariés) se trouvant dans une situation de travail dont il a un motif raisonnable de penser qu'elle présente un danger grave et imminent pour sa vie ou sa santé, a la possibilité d'informer l'employeur et de se retirer de cette situation, à condition toutefois de ne pas créer pour autrui une nouvelle situation de risque grave et imminent. En revanche, la loi ne reconnaît pas aux salariés le droit d'arrêter les machines."

Les contrôleurs très choqués par les actuelles manque de sécurité sur le réseau on donc exercé ce droit.

So there you are... because of the imminent threat to themselves and lack of security, they withdrew their services to the public.

This was the reply from SNCF

Si tu relis ton contrat de transport, tu verras que non la SNCF n'a pas à te rembourser tes billets d'avion. Une assurance voyage (comme celle souscrite éventuellement via ta carte de crédit) pourrait par contre prendre cela en charge.

Basically...not our problem mate, you should have had insurance. Knobs.

Glad it is not just me then!

If it were a modern happening company doing their best to win your custom then yes I have experienced the tu form from NRJ but i did not particularly like it.

SNCF probably use the same selection criteria as Seafrance, you get in if you are a pal or family of the syndicalistes not on qualifications or merit, it was probably written by a youngster, lucky it wasnt in texto language!

[quote user="crazyfrog"]

This was the reply from SNCF

Si tu relis ton contrat de transport, tu verras que non la SNCF n'a pas à te rembourser tes billets d'avion. Une assurance voyage (comme celle souscrite éventuellement via ta carte de crédit) pourrait par contre prendre cela en charge.

Basically...not our problem mate, you should have had insurance. Knobs.

[/quote]

How bloody rude is that. Unbelieveable! I know that tu and vous can be hard for foreigners, but for a french company, really not on.

If I understand correctly, the question was posted on an SNCF customer forum and, to my thinking, the answer did NOT come from an SNCF official but simply from another forum contributor who was just another member of the public.

Is it OK to say that?

Regards

Pickles