Le Tour 2008

Wizzer

Living near Pau, we get to see Le Tour most years, but this year should be exceptional. With the Bastille Day stage going from Pau to the ski resort of Hautacam, and then a rest day in Pau the day after. Lets just hope for a cleaner race this year. Not sure if the new format will make the race more interesting though[8-)]

Tony

No, you're right - no detailed info yet (unless I couldn't find it!)

It's usually a good few months yet before the precise route is published.  Probably a lot to do with the organisers being sure that any necessary road upgrades / potential glitches are going to be sorted before July.

CeeJay,

It's always done this way . The outline route is published in October ( Town of Departure, Town of Arrival and significant points en-route such as the classic cols). The detailed route, as in road numbers, etc  is not made availalable to the general public until May.

Mike1958 - You might be the only one in Luchon watching the Tour on 9th July as it finishes in Chateauroux!!!

Sorry for the sarcasm! Just knew that date as it is my wedding anniversary and as my wife loves cycling like I do I always look to see where they finish on that date. Chateauroux is also less than 2 hours for us.

I think B de Luchon is a few days later. At least you will see a better stage than me. I would love to see them on the Peyresourde. Have done a few Pyrenees climbs inc Tourmalet and Aspin. Enjoy!

Mike (another one!)

Yes I ride a fair bit. Mainly around where I live, north of Pau, near Lembeye. Great roads with good climbs[:)] I started riding some of the Pyreneen cols this summer, hard but well worth the effort. I also mountainbike occasionally too.

Tony

[quote user="Mauhoum"]

Yes I ride a fair bit. Mainly around where I live, north of Pau, near Lembeye. Great roads with good climbs[:)] I started riding some of the Pyreneen cols this summer, hard but well worth the effort. I also mountainbike occasionally too.

Tony

[/quote]

Must be great riding country round there. Where I am we don't have massive climbs - my "training" hill is 7 ks long and pretty steep at the top, but nothing like you get in the Pyrenees or Alps. Would love to do some of that stuff one day (before i'm too old to manage it![:D])

What kind of bike do you have? Recently bought myself a Vitus - nice, well made French iron.

Yeah the mountain passes can be killers. I'm not super fit, so haven't yet got the legs for the Tourmalet or the Aubisque etc. I did ride the Col d'Aspin, the Col de Somport, Col de Marie Blanque (easier side) and the Pont d'Espagne amongst others. The Somport is not steep, but starting from a village called Cette-Eygun, you climb for 23kms[:'(] Can't wait to climb the Col de Soulor and the Aubisque next year. For that though, I'll have to get rid of my dodgy old Peugeot (made of lead I think!!) and buy the Cannondale CAAD 5 I've been saving up for[:)]

Tony

Hi

Don't worry, I won't be chucking the steel bike away. I'll use it as a winter 'hack bike'. Thing is it's not worthwhile bolting expensive modern lightweight goodies onto that old frame. I've ridden 'Dales' before, although they were mountainbikes not road bikes. I loved my old Cannondale mtb, no suspension and with no lightweight bits on it, it still weighed next to nowt! Handled superbly as well. I have a passion for light aluminium frames, as I own a Klein mtb and a KHS mtb tandem!!

Tony 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...