spud u like

sharkhunter

Last spring I found some smallish potatoes that had were sprouting and had gone quite soft, instead of throwing them away I planted them in a very large flower tub (the type you get quite marture tree/shrubs in).  I put about 6" of soil/compost mix in the bottom and covered with about the same amount, as they grew I covered with more mixture until pot was full to the brim.  Had some lovely new potatoes and would have had more if the dreaded blight had not attacked them.

Saw the programme with Bob Flowerdew and there was quite a bit of discussion on allotment forums about whether this was safe due to chemicals leaching from the tyres.

Sylvia

I always grow my potatoes in tyres. because it makes earthing up a doddle (sling on another tyre and fill with earth) keeps them contained in a small area and weed free and I get a great crop from a remarkably small space, good quality too with no pests like wire worm.  I'd definitely recommend having a go - what can you lose?

Last year I grew some potatoes in a plastic dustbin that I drilled holes in the bottom for drainage.  I put in five potatoes and let them sprout then covered them up with another layer of earth, then carried on like this until the soil got to the top.  I got about 7 kilo's of spuds and they were lovely.  No pests and dead easy!  I shall be doing it again this year  :)  For anyone who's interested have a look at this

www.potato2008.org/en/index.html