New Law prohibiting dogs from restaurants.

johnnyboy

Hi All, long time no post ,due to visitors/weddings/holiday etc.

We went on a walk today with our group and ended at a restaurant, where we were informed that our dog was not allowed in since April this year, due to the new law banning dogs from any eateries.

Have to say that this was the first we had heard of this, when checking online we could only see that it was up to the owner to decide. Any pointers please, as we were slightly disconcerted to see that the owners dog was given free reign!

Need to clarify exactly where we stand, as although we always ask if its ok to bring our dog into a place, it could have quite an effect for us in the future if we cannot do that any more.

Best regards,

Johnnyboy

"If I see a dog in a restaurant I would walk on by."

Pierre ZFP

Big +1 here.

At present we have, as part of our family, a Brittany & a Cocker spaniel. Prior to these two we have homed 4 other dogs over the years. But all, without exception, will have at some point  licked their arrsses and nadgers prior to trying to slobber all over me. So dogs not in restaurants??? I should coco coco.

regards

cajal

I suggest you pay a visit to spec savers my old chum.   In the UK a dog would not be allowed into the restaurant part of a pub, although they are allowed into the bar areas. I was in a restaurant in Paris and the woman on the next table was feeding her dog from her plate, and offering the dog the food on her fork!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think Paris is a rural area or is Tours come to that.

We have taken our dog into a restaurant-only lunch time if we've been out for the day. She lies quietly under the table, as she does when we eat at home. We have also taken her into pubs in the UK where we have also eaten a meal, and not in the bar area either as food tends ro be served throughout the pub now. To be honest I'd rather see some well behaved dogs in restaurant than some children I've had to endure -and I speak as a mother of 2 (now grown up) daughters

alittlebitfrench wrote : To be fair, I have never seen a dog in a restaurant in France. Must be a rural thing.

Definitely not necessarily rural. Scenario poshish resto in Bordeaux, we were seated next to a table with 3 very chic ladies-who-lunch who, when they stood up to leave, all picked up the leads of their respective medium-sized pooches . As there were long table-cloths on the tables (I did say it was quite posh) neither of us had seen or heard any of the dogs during the meal.

Sue

I dont agree with dogs in restaurants and dont allow people to stay in my apartments with animals although a few have played the innocent and tried.

However having seen many dogs in restaurants always very quiet and invisible and having just lived through 6 months of tourist rentals the last 2 being mainly families if ever I open a restaurant it will be a doggie friendly one but where children are interdit, except French ones [:P] and even then I would reserve the power of veto for the minority of "expressive" ones

Lactating mothers, topless females, bikinis and Burkinis welcome, Smartphones interdit! 

[quote user="Mac"]We have taken our dog into a restaurant-only lunch time if we've been out for the day. She lies quietly under the table, as she does when we eat at home. We have also taken her into pubs in the UK where we have also eaten a meal, and not in the bar area either as food tends ro be served throughout the pub now. To be honest I'd rather see some well behaved dogs in restaurant than some children I've had to endure -and I speak as a mother of 2 (now grown up) daughters[/quote]

We don't take our dog if we are eating out locally and expect to be home within say 5 hours maximum.

When we were driving around looking for our present house, I tried to pack picnics on day trips.  But there were places where we had to stay a couple of nights so there was no choice other than to take her with us.

Indeed unless someone was on the lookout for a dog, they wouldn't know she was there.  She doesn't make a sound and stays quietly under the table.

We stayed at an expensive chateau hotel earlier this year and we could take her everywhere in the hotel, including into the restaurant.

On the occasions when we had to take her with us, we'd ring up beforehand or, if we just needed to eat somewhere, we always asked permission first.  Sometimes the owners come out to have a look at her first but when they see her they always say "yes".

As you say, Mac, some children are considerably more of a nuisance than well-behaved dogs.

And you usually pay a small addition for the dog though we have also stayed in places where there was no charge.

It was relatively expensive in the chateau hotel but it was nothing compared to the cost of the stay.

I always take her bed and bowls, etc and some big throws IN CASE she jumps up on the furniture though she's never jumped onto other people's furniture.  At home, I don't stop her from jumping on wherever she could reach but, with increasing age, she no longer has the spring in her back legs to jump on to anything........my poor old girl!

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]

To be fair, I have never seen a dog in a restaurant in France. Must be a rural thing.[/quote]

Really?  Can't have eaten out much then - here you see them quite often.

And waht about those horrible lapdogs in cities?

Personally, some dogs are fine, others not, but whilst I am eating - no thank you!

I might say the same thing about children, but I realise I am on touchy ground here!

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Dogs are allowed in pubs in the UK !!!! I have seen people eat their Sunday lunch next to other peoples dogs licking their bits or dribbling everywhere. Then the people eating their lunch save a bit for the dog.

To be fair, I have never seen a dog in a restaurant in France. Must be a rural thing.[/quote]A few years ago We were having dinner in a Michelin starred restaurant in Paris not far from the Arc de Triomphe when an old lady came in with her small poodle. She proceeded to order and was served her meal. The poodle's food was served with due solemnity in a bowl beside her chair. The dog behaved far better than many british children.

Mint,

As it happens, most of our friends around here have cats (which I don't particularly like either!), but they tend to be "dismissed" if they arrive during the meal, but welcomed afterwards.  Most friends understand that I won't pet them, but won't hurt them either.

OK, I prefer not to have dogs around when eating, but no objection to dogs in general, and in fact, I don't really mind well behaved dogs at meals and inrestaurants, but so often, they are not!

We eat regularly at a restaurant with a friend who does have a dog - Snoopy is a delight though, and entertains everyone ... so I suspect it rather depends on the dog and the owner as to whether I'd be really happy or not!!

Hi, I disagree that simply having any dog in a restaurant is by definition unhygienic. Whether you like dogs or not, unless they physically interact with the food in some way, there is no risk to hygiene or health. The argument is more whether it is appropriate to have dogs in a restaurant, and has been said earlier, it depends so much on how well behaved and well trained the individual dog.

Whereas we would never contemplate taking our dog to a restaurant by choice, particularly in the evening, it can be difficult to avoid doing so during trips away from home, when there is often nowhere he can be left safely while we eat. On the other hand, he has never ever been given treats, let alone fed tit-bits from a table, so is not interested in the slightest in any food on show. Even in the presence of other dogs, he just lies under the table and sleeps (as a border collie, he burns all his energy off during the day, then just crashes in the evening).

In our area of France we've usually been welcomed without reservation, but I would understand if we were told that him staying would be conditional on good behaviour. Whether or not the other guests object to the presence of dogs wouldn't interest me, since as long as dogs are inconspicuous and don't cause any disturbance, in my opinion they do no harm. We have been told by restaurant owners on a couple of occasions that they don't object to dogs at all, as in many cases they are better behaved than humans!

We eat regularly at a restaurant with a friend who does have a dog - Snoopy is a delight though, and entertains everyone ...

Thats what the parents of the expressive children firmly believe.

Anyone recall the Daily Mail story of the "adorable" toddler sleeping face down in the aisle of a passenger airplane? The comments that followed were a relief to me to realise that I am not alone.

[quote user="Loiseau"]QUOTE mint

What, Pierre, is your REAL name C o c k Robin?

So, tell me, what are you trying to shoot with your bow and arrer?

END QUOTE

Actually, chère mint, just to be nitpicking, wasn't it the sparrer that fired the fatal shot?

Angela[/quote]

Yes, Angela, you are, of course, right.  I have been so worn down and wearied by trying to sign on for Sosh internet and telephone that I am no longer able to remember anything else!