BREAKING NEWS ON EXPAT HEALTH COVER

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="cooperlola"]

PUBLISHED WITHIN THE LAST HOUR

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Policyandguidance/Healthadvicefortravellers/DH_078670

We are awaiting a statement from the French and will keep you up to date.  We have had announcements from this source before, which have not been confirmed by the French government, so do not take this as gospel until you hear more, would be my advice.

[/quote]This page has just been removed from the site.  We do not know the reason for this.  Our own advice is to continue to await the FRENCH government statement.  We will keep you posted.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

We are awaiting a statement from the French and will keep you up to date.  We have had announcements from this source before, which have not been confirmed by the French government, so do not take this as gospel until you hear more, would be my advice.

[/quote]

Any hints as to what it said.  As others have commented it's gone, but what did it say (not necessarily word perfect, just the gist would be great).

Ian

The health ministry's own line is still unchanged.  They continue to say that an announcement will be made "within the next few days".  They will not be drawn on the Embassy statement, so logically one can only assume that Clair is right.  As everybody is keeping their lips firmly sealed, I PERSONALLY suspect an almighty c*ck up (that would be a surprise).  If anybody got a copy of the statment, preferably with a date and time, would they please send it to me at ;

[email protected]

[quote user="Deimos"][quote user="cooperlola"]

[/quote]

Any hints as to what it said.  As others have commented it's gone, but what did it say (not necessarily word perfect, just the gist would be great).

Ian
[/quote]I should have a copy on the way and will post it when I get it.  But it pretty much confirmed what the media told us the week before last.

French government's new announcement on access to the French healthcare system for early retirees from other EU countries

Last modified date:

10 December 2007

Following representations made to the French government, we can confirm that the French Health Ministry has again modified its decision regarding access to the French healthcare system for early retirees from other EU countries already residing in France.

According to the French Health Ministry's official revised statement and Q&A factsheet the position is:

Inactive EU citizens already living in France and already registered and accessing healthcare via the CMU before 23 November 2007 will now be allowed to continue to do so.

To ensure that people are not left without the possibility of accessing necessary healthcare (eg E106 holders without existing access to CMU whose E106 expires and who choose to continue living in France), the French Health authorities will consider allowing access via the Aide Médicale de l'Etat system for:

a) those with a pre-existing medical condition, and for those who later develop an unforeseen medical condition, which prevents them from being able to obtain private health insurance;
b) those who, having previously obtained a right to reside in France, suffer a 'major life event' (eg death of a spouse or divorce) which means they do not have sufficient resources;

After 5 years of 'regular, uninterrupted residence' in France, an EU citizen qualifies as a French resident and will therefore have access to healthcare via the CMU.

The position remains that all inactive EU citizens under retirement age living in France now or in future who are not entitled to healthcare reimbursement (through the E106 or E109 forms) or to access to the French health system will be required to have their own personal health insurance until they reach UK retirement age (and therefore qualify for entitlement to the E121 form), or until they qualify as a French resident (after 5 years of 'regular, uninterrupted residence').

As previously, people already over retirement age who are holders of an E121 which is registered with the French authorities will remain unaffected

This information is based on what we have been told by the French authorities. We suggest people seek further information and advice on individual cases from one or more of the following:

CPAM - The French Health Service (English language service): +33 8 20 90 42 12 or to identify your local CPAM:

CPAM (opens new window)

CLEISS - (France's helpdesk for international mobility and social security):
11 rue de la tour des Dames
75436 Paris Cedex 09
Tel: +33 1 45 26 33 41

Centre des Liaisons Européennes et Internationales de Sécurité Sociale (CLEISS) (opens new window)

For holders of E106 and E109 forms:

DWP Overseas Medical Benefits helpline
International Pension Centre
Room Tc001
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA
Tel: +44 (0) 191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am - 5pm)

EHIC and health advice for travellers

or for press enquiries: Department of Health Press Office: +(44) 207 210 5221

I'm glad they might have done something for those with pre-existing conditions but I would be interested how they justify excluding the healthy people and providing cover for those who are ill.  Seems a bit counter to the whole idea and "morally" unjustifiable ("morally is not the right word but I cannot think of a better word).

Basically, if you are healthy (and cost the state system nothing) you cannot contribute to the health state system and its profits for private companies.  However, if you are ill and costing FR gov money they they will treat you.  French Economics !!

Ian

I think the Gov't are being pretty magnanimous. All anyone needs to do to is "develop an unforeseen medical condition, which prevents them from being able to obtain private health insurance" and they're away.........

Anyway, how many people develop a medical condition which they expected?

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Ta Coops, just checking I wasn't wholly loosing the plot.[/quote]I think you meant Clair!  We're all confused now.[:-))] The French health minister would not comment. More days of nail-biting, I suspect.

Personally, I think the situation is getting well beyond a joke.

So if you have an existing condition you may be allowed health cover under AME , but as I read it AME is designed for the poor .The income limits are here .

People may be in the situation of exceeding these limits but still being unable to obtain PHI.

Or is AME being modified to suit the new situation.

And this months nominee for the "Should have thought it through" award is the French government.  Recent successes in the "Should have known better" awards seem to have helped them move on to better and better.  On an individual basis their leader and recent repeat winner of the "Should have tried harder" award should be feeling very proud of their achievements under his guidance.

And who knows, there is still all to fight for in the "Seemed like a good idea at the time" knock-out competition.

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]And this months nominee for the "Should have thought it through" award is the French government.  Recent successes in the "Should have known better" awards seem to have helped them move on to better and better.  On an individual basis their leader and recent repeat winner of the "Should have tried harder" award should be feeling very proud of their achievements under his guidance.

And who knows, there is still all to fight for in the "Seemed like a good idea at the time" knock-out competition.

Ian[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D]

Hello,

The problem with the info on the DWP website was that it did not reflect the bang up to date state of affairs. It may have reflected the views of the French health ministry and its circular signed on 23 November but did not take into account of the CNAM's real objections to the implementation of these measures as they stand. Mention of AME in this context is just another red herring (like EU Directive 2004/38).

Regards

Owen

[email protected]

I think the scenario may have been something like this...

Person responsible for updating the DoH website (let's call him Justin) goes on 2 weeks holiday, returns to find the mailbox full of emails.  Starts reading them, starting with the oldest.  Comes across one from big boss, dated 24th November, that says...

"Justin, statement received from French health ministry, please update website PDQ"

Justin updates website, and continues reading emails.  Phone rings, big boss (incandescent with rage)  "Justin, you halfwit, you haven't read all of your emails, have you?  Try reading the one I sent you on 25th November!"

Justin reads email...

"Justin, it's all gone pear-shaped, do not, I repeat do not publish the statement I emailed you earlier"

Justin deletes statement from website, turns his "out of office" automated reply back on, and heads for the hills.