Plastic E111

Bluebells

Don't wish to be pedantic, but it's a European Health Insurance Card, and is not quite the same as the E111. It also replaces the previous E119, E128 and various other forms. It needs to be renewed periodically, unlike the E111 - UK-issued cards have a one year validity. Like the E111 it is for temporary stays only, but additionally to the E111 it also covers working on assignment, studying, seeking work etc. It cannot be used to gain non-emergency treatment in another European country - according to the EU 'The card will only relate to necessary care, such as breaking a leg, a tooth falling out, catching a virus, or on-going care for a serious medical condition'.

For France, the card works as follows:

Visitors must pay for treatment and then apply for a refund of part of the costs from the CPAM. Ensure that the doctor or dentist you consult is conventionné, that is, they work within the French health system. After treatment, obtain a signed statement of the treatment given (feuille de soins); you cannot claim a refund without it. You will be charged for the treatment you receive, as well as for any prescribed medicines, and the amount(s) should be shown on the feuille. When getting prescribed medicines, the pharmacist will hand you back your prescription and you should attach it to the feuille in order to claim a refund. Medicine containers also carry detachable labels (vignettes), showing the name and price of the contents. Stick these in the appropriate place on the feuille, and sign and date the form at the end.

Send your application for a refund (the feuille de soins, any prescription and your E111, European Health Insurance Card or Temporary Replacement Certificate) to the nearest sickness insurance office (CPAM) while you are still in France. The refund will be sent to your home address later, but it may be subject to a bank charge. This refund process normally takes around two months. Around 70% of standard doctors' and dentists' fees are refunded, and between 35% and 65% of the cost of most, but not all, prescribed medicines.

Hospital treatment

You must pay for out-patient treatment and then claim a refund from the local Sickness Office (as above).

For in-patient treatment, the doctor you have consulted or the hospital doctor will issue you with a certificate (attestation). The hospital should then send a Notice of admission - Acceptance of Responsibility (Avis d'admission - prise en charge) form to the local sickness insurance office along with your European Health Insurance Card. If not, you should send it yourself. If you are treated in an approved hospital, 75% or more of the cost will be paid direct to the hospital. You pay the balance. You must also pay a fixed daily hospital charge (forfait journalier). The 25% balance and the forfait journalier are non-refundable. (Slightly adapted from the Irish health service web site)

Oh yes very well. Date, Country, place, length of stay, date of return etc.

I also remember when living in the UK, the £50 maximum amount that one was allowed to take with you out of the country and it was stamped in the back of your passport. Putting a fiver in ones sock was the order of the day I hasten to add, I was a very young man at that time.

[quote]thanks for info Will, I feel sick already with all that to do, hope its not needed, mine expires 1.12.2008[/quote]

That's very strange, the UK govt press releases say that it lasts one year, though some other countries (e.g. Ireland) issue them for two years.

The procedure looks daunting, but it's virtually identical to what French residents have to do in cases where the carte vitale hasn't been issued or can't be used (without the added complication of the top up insurance).

Yes, I remember the E111 for each trip, and the £50 limit, though £50 bought you quite a lot back then.

• 1 month later...

Blurb from the BBC Working Lunch website

The European Health Insurance Card.

...... The card should not be seen as a replacement to travel insurance as it does not cover all potential costs, for instance repatriation.  It does however claim to cover "any treatment that becomes necessary during the course of your visit". This includes accident and emergency cases, maternity care, chronic and pre-existing illnesses. Some treatments do need pre-arrangement though, these include renal dialysis and oxygen therapy.   Treatment is not covered if the purpose of your visit is to obtain medical treatment abroad"

Is this a change? I thought that the old E111 only covered accident or emergency treatment or did it also cover treatment necessary for pre-existing illnesses.?

Also  From 1 January 2006, E111 forms are no longer valid

[quote]Applied for the E111 on the net on Monday recieved today (thurs) this is one Govermnent Dept that has got its act together. Also it is valid until Sept 2010 . Baz[/quote]

Is that UK or France Baz ? As we have been told it is still one year here but .....

[quote]Miki, sorry I should have said its the UK. Baz[/quote]

Thanks Baz,

Typical here in France, we are one of the countries with the shortest period cards. !!

If my memory serves me right, there was a reason as to why some countries had longer or shorter "end by dates" anyome remember ? I seem to recall that some new EC countries were giving out longer dated cards than most longer affiliated countries but the rhyme & reason now escapes me !

We have also received our cards this week and they are valid to 2008!!

However I am not sure they are going to be as useful as the old E111.

Hitherto, when I claimed to CPAM, I took a copy of the E111 and sent that, still retaining the original in case of further use. The amounts refunded were then sent to my French bank account.

It would appear now that we have to send the card to CPAM and it will be, presumably sent back to us at the UK address, or we have to specify a French address, however the card will be in transit somewhere which I don't think is a good idea, or will a copy of the card be sufficient?

Anyone had to use this card yet and how did you fare?

[quote]Oh yes very well. Date, Country, place, length of stay, date of return etc.I also remember when living in the UK, the £50 maximum amount that one was allowed to take with you out of the country and it...[/quote]

and I remember that I was not allowed to bring IN TO the UK more than £50 worth of french currency. So like wise more dear old departed French Francs inside my bras! well I was a very young lass then.....now it's sewn on the inside of the corset!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!

and I also had the ignominy of a stamp on my French passport as big as the palm of one's hand saying ALIEN !! I must say that on being introduced to baked beans and curry take aways it made me behave as if invaded by aliens!!

Lovely memories them days was!!

[quote]Applied for the E111 on the net on Monday recieved today (thurs) this is one Govermnent Dept that has got its act together. Also it is valid until Sept 2010 . Baz[/quote]

That's FAST!

Applied (in UK) for E111 last April for a trip to France in late May, with daughter to visit the French relos, and the said cards did not arrive for both of us until 10 days ago!!...

Fortunately nothing more serious than daughter being car sick all the way there! and her Mother ditto after one too many at a never ending long 'welcome home' sunday lunch set up with all the extended family!

Will wrote - "Send your application for a refund (the feuille de soins, any prescription and your E111, European Health Insurance Card or Temporary Replacement Certificate"

Will do you have to actually send the new card to CPAM?  I thought it would just be swiped or noted at the pharmacy.   

I used the system with the old E111 certificate, sent it off with the feuilles de soins etc. and received the reimbursement quite quickly but the E111 certificate was not returned.  I've read the leaflet for the new card and it doesn't mention sending off the card.

Bernice

Am I missing something?  Why would Will, who lives in France and has a carte vitale, need an E111?

Are you classed as working in the UK or something Will?

All you others?

I have my carte and my mutuelle and that pays for it all...unless it is glasses or teeth