Getting Freeview or Sky in France........

[quote user="idun"]

I do know that I often try and look at things from french tv and am refused as I am not in France, just as I was when I lived in France and tried to get the iplayer directly.

[/quote]

If you are serious about wanting French TV in Britain you can of course do it via satellite.

Option 1 - a digital free-to-air receiver (DVB-S) connected to a dish set up on 5 deg W (Eutelsat 5 deg W,   until recently known as Atlantic Bird 3) will get you France 2,  France 3,  France 5,  Parliament,  and France O (which should have a circumflex over the top of the O).   Worth noting that a Sky box is not suitable for this as you can't set the correct (and  unusual) symbol rate.   If you want TF1 and M6 (including in HD) then a DVB-S2 receiver set up on 9 deg E will do the trick.

Option 2 - a Fransat or TNTsat box purchased in France,  and connected to the relevant dish (5 deg W and 19 deg E (Astra 1) respectively).   All the TNT channels available via the card,  which is included with the purchase.   A Fransat HD box will get you the ten HD channels,  including the ones launched at the end of last year.    No questions are asked at the time of purchase,  although eventual renewal of the card may require an address in France;  at present TNTsat are sending out replacement cards to British addresses if you put 99999 in as the post code and then add Royaume Uni - really their computer is incredibly stupid it seems!!!   (Apparently they even frank the envelope with the international postage,  you couldn't make it up).

My view is - and always has been - stick two fingers up at those oh-so-precious rights holders.    It's basically a scam to squeeze the last revenues out of pay TV, and these frontier restrictions in this day and age are ridiculous.   Why do I say that?   Well look at the TF1 and M6 situation I mentioned earlier.   Oh so carefully scrambled on Fransat and TNTsat to satisfy the rights holders.   And free to air on that other satellite to cover Switzerland (and most of Europe).

The hypocrisy stinks it really does.  

Watch TV from wherever you like (as long as you aren't using a pirate card) and sleep easy in your bed....

I couldn't even have french satellite tv in France. We bought the lot, a

new parabol and box and then tound there was any where on our house or land where we could  get

it to work, a rather huge mountain was in the way.

Funny isn't

it in life, when you tell people that something doesn't work, they

always assume that 'they can get it to work'. Ofcourse, they couldn't

move our land or the mountain and they would then announce that it

wasn't possible. We gave up, maybe later it would have been possible, I don't know and don't need to.

And choosing to put two fingers up is simply 'intent to ignore'.

I don't need to watch much french tv, but sometimes there are things mentioned and I am blocked as I want to watch it on my computer. I have TV5monde on my SKY in the UK and for the most part that is more than enough french tv for me.

It isn't intent to ignore.  It's a genuine protest against daft rules whose legal basis is in any case dodgy.    Is it illegal to listen to Radio 4 on long wave whilst in France?  No of course not.   Is it illegal to watch the BBC via satellite when the signal spills over the borders?  No of course not.   

The BBC were originally scrambled on Astra 2 when they went up there in 1998,  because they were silly enough to believe Sky and others who told them they'd be in terrible trouble with the rights people if they weren't scrambled.   Greg D*i*yke had the good sense to realise it was all complete nonsense,   move them on to a satellite with a slightly smaller footprint (Astra 2D),  and the rest is history.   If you REALLY don't want people watching you scramble the signal.  Otherwise it's available to all as desired.

I'm sorry about your mountain in Grenoble;  if you'd taken proper advice from a professional they'd have had to take the equipment back for giving you the wrong advice - and I was only trying to be helpful with your current situation.   Newcastle area isn't it?   Doubt you'd have the mountain problem a second time....

LOL my mountain wasn't in Grenoble, although there are plenty of mountains around Grenoble. In fact I would go as far as to say that there should be no problem getting french sat in Grenoble. And I don't live in Newcastle either, but there you go, the vagaries of the internet.

And we didn't take it back because we have this thing in our household at being very slow in getting jobs done. We always get there in the end but unless there is a real deadline, we do things in our own sweet time, which means that sometimes we have passed any deadline for taking something back. The very small price being that sometimes, as I said, we sometimes cannot take things back.

Maybe that is why we usually have that thing of a rather relaxed way of living, which is strangely attributed to France, but is actually down to people making choices. And I should add, that I am not a nag, which helps in any household. [Www]

And what is it other than an intent to ignore? The choice to ignore the rules. It also may be a protest, but there are other ways of protesting apart from breaking the rules. It isn't as if I have never broken the rules, I most certainly have, but I am conscient that I am doing it.[6]

idun,

There were/are two ways to point your aerial here to pick up ch 1-4 years ago. When 5 appeared, some people near us couldn't get it. I told them to point their aerial in the direction mine was and they would get it.

David  

[quote user="dwmcn"]

idun,

There were/are two ways to point your aerial here to pick up ch 1-4 years ago. When 5 appeared, some people near us couldn't get it. I told them to point their aeriel in the direction mine was and they would get it.

David  

[/quote]

Wonderfully erudite and informative David. I've always wondered in what direction I should point my aeriel. Thanks to you my worries are over. [;-)]

[quote user="Théière"] they are still showing Dad's Army for goodness sake  (with only one cast member still alive the repeat fees to the actor must be pretty low ) [/quote]

Sorry, two alive:

Ian Lavender who played Private Pike

Frank Williams who played Rev Timothy Farthing

Not an ariel, but a parabol, our ariels were the best placed in my village France that they could be, we needed two. I had called the Diffusion people(those that we pay the tv licence to ) and they had people from Lyon come especially to my house with a van and and mast and voila, we had a half decent picture. My neighbour asked, but was told to get an ariel fitter in, which she would have had to pay.

We left France some time ago now and I have no idea if the people who bought the house had any problems. I have never thought about that until just now. [Www]

[quote user="idun"]Not an ariel, but a parabol, our ariels were the best placed in my village France that they could be, we needed two. I had called the Diffusion people(those that we pay the tv licence to ) and they had people from Lyon come especially to my house with a van and and mast and voila, we had a half decent picture. My neighbour asked, but was told to get an ariel fitter in, which she would have had to pay.

We left France some time ago now and I have no idea if the people who bought the house had any problems. I have never thought about that until just now. [Www]

[/quote]

What is an ariel and a parabol?

[quote user="Théière"]

[img]http://www.wilko.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0295350/0295350_l.jpg[/img]

[;-)]

Is parabol what I take for a headache?

[/quote]

LOL, nice one. Yes Idun just a tease. Difficulty with spelling is understandable and excusable, multiple use of question marks in your posts is not???????????