Pamplona bull run

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Jonzjob"]

Jo, if you lived in a tied cottage would you really pay for the repairs to it? No and I don't see why the Queen should either, do you?

One of the reasons that the Royals get kicked is because they can't fight back and they are easy prey. It gets right on my wick!

[/quote]

Strongly seconded

[/quote]

Seems my comment has been taken the wrong way[blink] It was intended as a comment on the lack of respect with which the Royal Family are treated these days, Not an attack on a group of people who cannot defend themselves. Therefore it would not have the same shock factor as an attack on the bullfight that NormanH implied.

( for the record, as a Forces Family of many generations, we have always had the greatest respect for the Royal Family[:$] not a popular opinion now I'm afraid! )

Strange really that you hold such strong feelings on blood sports and yet seemingly support the UK royal family that kill animals for fun most weekends. I guess it's best you back out from an undefendable position.

The royals hold all the cards and hardly have to fight back as they have loads of lackies to do it for them.

The problem with 'tradition' is that the cruelty inherent in a tradition is often as as acceptable, or even desirable for some - at a local level- whereas other forms are seen as barbaric. |Badger baiters in Yorkshire may consider that what they do is upholding the tradition of 'working' dogs and terriermen- like their counterpart who badger dig or bait in France or Eastern Europe. Japanese think whale hunting is upholding tradition, and so do those Northern Canadians who club baby seals to death. If you have been brought up catching and killing pigs without stunning, as I have seen done in Normandy - it seems 'quite normal' and traditional- same with using live birds to attract others, etc, etc, etc. I don't care which is 'worse' or 'worst' - ir doesn't make the others any less cruel.

I personally feel that many of those traditions should not survive into the 21st Century. So many have been stopped - like throwing goats from Church Towers to predict the weather, or bear baiting- it's time for others to go to.

I think those of you who live north of (say) Limoges have very little idea of how deeply the Corrida (not the Feria) is rooted in the South.

My light-hearted comparison with the British Royal Family provoked a diversion from the debate, but there is absolutely no way that speaking out against it would be accepted a 'normal' here.

Perhaps a better comparison would be criticising 'la chasse'.