Tick

Jackie

Would someone advise on how to deal with a tick. Just found another one near the outside tip of her ear. See post:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2012184/ShowPost.aspx

I have some Frontline from the vet to apply to the back of her neck and although I have read about removing ticks with tweezers I don't think she is going to keep still while I do this. I was going to apply the Frontline tomorrow as she had a worming pill today and I did not want to have her system overloaded with too many chemicals at once. Can it wait until tomorrow or should I have a go now with the tweezers? Never had to deal with a tick before having had mostly indoor cats and a bit worried I might leave some mouth parts behind and cause an infection!.............Jackie

Go to the pharmacie and get a tick remover. It is a simple yellow piece of plastic that hooks under the tick, and you simply twist it and the entire thing comes out.

If you want, put a bit of rum or disinfectant on the wound after to clean it up.

Have taken countless ticks off with this simple tool.

I use avantix for tick and flea control now, and it's the best I've ever used.

Edit: just noticed you're talking about a cat, mine are dogs.

But I'd suggest someone holding her firmly down while you twist the tick out. Should only take 3 seconds to twist out, and once you start, keep going, be confident. Like ripping a band aid off quickly. Short sharp shock is better than a long slow pull.

This is the type of tool Mr C de L is referring to and very good they are too.

We always use Tea-Tree Oil after removing the tick.

It is important to keep an eye on the area where the tick was removed from for a few days.

The swelling should disappear quite quickly but if you see a raised angry ring appearing get the animal to the vets.

That is one of the first signs of Lymes Disease.

Wrench the tick of and apply a dab of antiseptic.

If the unfortunate animal gets Lymes Disease you will soon know it the dog will be listless and be hardly able to stand.

My last friend from a refuge was 14 when he got it and couldn't even stand we took him straight to the vets the vet knew immediately what it was gave him two shots and he was rolling in the snow in the afternoon.

The tick removal tool also works effectively on humans.

We should know,   late May to late July our fields seem to crawl with them,  and it's too hot to wear gumboots and long trousers (and even those aren't sufficient protection).

We've had to learn to live with the little b*ggers,   and have twice daily tick-inspections.

I'm worried you're getting them this early AND after such a cold winter.

Unbelievably we had our first tick last week and I was shocked given that we have had temperatures of -9C up until 10 days ago.  I just hate them and because I refuse to treat any of our dogs with chemical deterents for reasons which I won't get on my soap box about again here - we do a twice daily tick check.  We have GSH cross sisters and their fur is so dense and dark it can be a real problem - but they just love being checked anyway so no worries there!  I have recently read about the wonders (and complete efficiency and safety!) of a product called

Diatomaceous Earth

I am going to get some!  I WILL get the better of these horrid bugs.  I also know that Guinea Fowl will eat acres of them and keep your fields free of them but of course that hardly helps when out walking in the woods and long grass and for those who have them in their gardens etc.  We use the yellow plastic tick removers and they work a treat - I pulled one off one day without and the dog in question was left with quite a septic lump (which can happen anyway we find even if you get the head out completely). Ticks are just the worst and as previous posts have mentioned, always dab the area well with an antiseptic even though the blighter's choppers have already delivered the poison!  So far we have been fortunate with our pets - but it is something to ver vigilant about. 

Went to the pharmacy this a.m. and got a couple of yellow plastic tick removers, one for small and one for large ticks, and had a go. On examination we found four more ticks round the ears. Two larger white body types and two smaller dark coloured ones. The tool works ok but holding her steady and trying to twist the blighters off ain't easy. Got them all off but would not guarantee they were intact. Rather a loud click when they where coaxed out. I say coaxed but puss was really thrashing about despite having wrapped her in a towel. Painted Vetadine on but cannot be sure we got it onto the skin at each site.

We will check those areas daily for signs of infection and hope there will be none. The pharmacist did confirm that as we have wormed her the Frontline should not be applied for a week which is not good as we have seen one or two small fleas! Will get a spray for the furniture that she has been sitting on. Hope she does not regret finding us! Thanks to all for the information.................Jackie

[quote user="Merlin"] I also know that Guinea Fowl will eat acres of them and keep your fields free of them but of course that hardly helps when out walking in the woods and long grass and for those who have them in their gardens etc.  [/quote]

I've read this too - is it because of the shape of their beaks or something? Why do guinea fowl make such good tick eradicators while the average chicken does not.

Interesting that diatomaceous earth may work.

Don't forget that Frontline, Advantage etc. are not 100% effective and therefore the daily tick patrol is still necessary.  Cats seem remove any ticks they can reach, so face, neck and ears are the places that need to be checked. Dogs need to be checked all over.

Good luck with the new member of the family, Jackie!

Don't forget Scalibor collars which are for the:

"Control of infestations with ticks (Ixodes ricinus; Rhipicephalus sanguineus) for 5 to 6 months.

Control of blood sucking by phlebotomine sand flies (Phlebotomus perniciosus) for a period of 5 to 6 months.

Anti-feeding effect on adult mosquitoes of the species Culex pipiens for 6 months.
"

We lost one of our rescue dogs to leishmaniasis - a horrible disease carried by phlebotomine sand flies.  She was rescued from Greece and supposedly tested negative for this disease before being brought to the UK for re-homing.  But it can lie dormant for years before symptoms appear. 

I have found these collars very effective (but remember not to let your dog swim in ponds etc - the collars are toxic to fish etc).  I order mine on line from Zubial (no prescription needed in France) at a good price compared to the vet/pharmacy.  They are not for the control of fleas though - you still need other products to control these.

Jouals

Touch it with a lit cigarette or some other smouldering item. It will drop out in front of your eyes.

Tip we learnt from my shepherd brother-in-law. Works a treat.

Edit. Per Mrs Zoff. If the tick doesn't drop out of its own accord from being singed, it can be helped along with tweezers. But if you just pull it without scorching the blighter's tail end, the head part (still alive) will remain in the animal. You want to make sure you get the whole beast in one go.

As Frontline and other preparations don't seem to work on my moggies for ticks, I use the tick tool.  Purchased cheaply from our local vet, two in packet (large and small).  Just hook the forked end under the tick and gently unwind it ANTI-CLOCKWISE.  Do not pull, just unwind.  If the wound looks sore, I use Bettadine on a cotton bud.  Bettadine can be purchased from either your vet or  a pharmacie.

Burning them off is one way, but could damage the cat and the idea is to get the head of the tick out of the skin.  Whatever you do, don't try and pull it out with tweezers or your fingers.  If you leave the head in, you animal could become very ill or worse!!!

You don't burn it off as such. The heat just causes it to release at the head end. As well as on the sheep-dogs, brother-in-law used to use the same method - cigarette or match plus tweezers - on his own delicates parts.  (A rather unsavoury drawback of working with sheep, especially in warm weather when wearing shorts....)

But yes, it is essential to make sure that it all comes out at the same time, including the head.

• 1 month later...
Our young cat arrived this morning with a massive tick just behind her ear! Having read the posts here me and the OH armed ourselves with tweezers, very hot salt water and matches. The OH held her but when it came to lighting and applying the match I chickened out so dabbed the tick with the salt water and then quickly pulled the thing out with the tweezers. I've never seen one before but pleased to say as I dropped it in the bowl it was complete with head - yuk. Next time I will control myself and use the match! Sorry but I'm one of those squemish femails! very grateful for the info and am off to buy a Tom-O-Tick for future use!

Chris

Well done for getting the tick out complete.   Please, please, please, buy one of the little tools and remember to use it anti-clockwise.  As for lighting a match and burning it off, this is not a hugely sensible idea.  1), you could seriously damage the cat with a naked flame, 2) the bacteria and germs in a tick will just drift around for a while in the smoke, and you don't want to be inhaling that.

However, sounds to me that if the tick was a monster, it was full and about to drop off anyway.

This time of year, my cats get a comb whenever they come in from a day outside.  That way, 9 out of 10 times, I can catch the little critters before they burrow in, so get yourself a cat comb as well.  When you are stroking your cats, stroke them all over and if you feel the slightest bump, investigate, it could just be a tiddler tick just getting started.  Don't wait until they reach monster proportions.  If you find them, get them out.

Don't use matches!!!  Just not necessary and so very dangerous.  The plastic tick removers you can buy in the pharmacies or pet shops are easy, safe and quick to use - follow the instructions - very little else will persuade the little so-and-sos to release their jaws and be pulled away in tact.  I have tried other ways and the tire tics work by far the best.  After you get the blighter off it is useful to dab the area with some tea tree oil as it disinfects and soothes and also can act as a repellant without harming the cat even if it licks the fur.

There are a thousand differnet ways of removing ticks - heat, acetone, nail varnish remover, grease, vaseline, tweezers, salt and so on.

In all cases except 1 (and that includes using tweezers) there is a very real risk of the tick regurgitating part of its meal back into its host - and thus transmitting whatever parasite or desease that it is carrying to said host.

As Merlin and others have said - buy the plastic tool designed for the job - it'll break the bank at about 1€, but worth it for the peace of mind.

Thanks Suninfrance, I didn't realise they dropped off when they reached certain proportions! I really don't know how we missed this one as the two of us are always stroking, playing with her and she was on my knee being 'fiddled with' as the OH calls it for a couple of hours last night whilst I watched Foyle's War! I will also get a cat comb sounds a very sensible idea.

Chris

[quote user="Merlin"]Don't use matches!!!  Just not necessary and so very dangerous.  The plastic tick removers you can buy in the pharmacies or pet shops are easy, safe and quick to use - follow the instructions - very little else will persuade the little so-and-sos to release their jaws and be pulled away in tact.  I have tried other ways and the tire tics work by far the best.  After you get the blighter off it is useful to dab the area with some tea tree oil as it disinfects and soothes and also can act as a repellant without harming the cat even if it licks the fur.

[/quote]

Thanks Merlin, I will abandon the matches idea - didn't feel very confident about that approach anyway and will get some tick tree oil or should that be tea tree - talking of which I shall now go and put the kettle on.

Chris

Thanks Andyh4,

Blimey the thought of putting acetone or nail varnish remover on a cat - just the smell of it is enough to make me feel sick!

I am collecting quite a shopping list from these posts but we are 'anglaise' and love our animals and doing the best for our cat is top priority.

Thanks to you all for your replies, Chris

Chris

[quote user="knee gel"]Thanks Andyh4, Blimey the thought of putting acetone or nail varnish remover on a cat - just the smell of it is enough to make me feel sick! Chris[/quote]

Actually most of the treatments are given to the tick, not the host (cat).  The most bizzare one I saw recently was to paint the tick with nail varnish.  [blink]

Although they are unpleasant creatures not all ticks carry disease,( piroplasmosis.) I think only a small percentage.

We have border collies with very thick fur and they are difficult to check. We have found loads of ticks on them over the years. Sometimes 5 or 10 at a time. They have each had piro once, but got them to the vet and treated in time. Thank God.