UK Photocard Driving Licences start expiring in 2008

Sunday Driver

The UK photocard driving licence which was introduced in 1998 to replace the old paper version has a validity of ten years, after which, it must be renewed together with an up to date photograph.

They can only be renewed for persons currently resident in the UK, so if you live in France and your photocard licence is due to expire, then you'll have to exchange it for a French one.

Entitlements are fully transferrable, the only downside being for people with B(E), C1, C1(E), D1 and D1(E) categories who will now need to have periodic medicals in order to retain those categories.

Check those dates.....[;-)]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Each of those categories has to be renewed every five years until age 60.

From 60 to 76, they are renewable every two years

From 76 they are renewable annually.

The medical is required at each renewal and costs 24,39€ (not reimburseable by CPAM).  It has to be undertaken by an approved doctor - the prefecture will give you a list.

The concensus of experience shows that prefectures normally require the medical certificate for a licence exchange, but there have been isolated instances reported where they haven't.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

As someone with all those categories SD, do you know the timescales for medicals and more importantly, will a medical certificate be required on the date of renewal or following a request from the licencing authority as in the UK.

[/quote]

I received my first French licence on 27/3/07.  Expiry dates for the vehicle categories are :-

A - None

B - None

C  - 07/9/08

D  - 27/3/08

EB - 27/9/08

EC - 27/3/08

ED - 27/3/08

"C" puzzles me a bit, maybe a misprint. Otherwise it seems they have given me 18 months for the lighter categories and a year for the heavy ones.

I intend visiting the Prefecture next time we go to the smoke to find out if I have to have 3 medicals next year. A neighbour told me he would not be surprised if this were the case.

I exchanged a UK paper licence a couple of months ago and I am looking at the various categories on my new French licence.

Am I right in thinking that there are no age restrictions on the categories discussed here, because they were carried over from a paper licence and not a photo licence?

The photo licences were issued for ten years much like a passport. The timescale is based on the fact of facial changes over that time make it necessary for a new photo to be used.

Expiry of other licences is, I think, at the age of 70 or it might be 65 (assistance on this reqd SD)

edit: found it, its 70, see here

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The UK photocard driving licence which was introduced in 1998 to replace the old paper version has a validity of ten years, after which, it must be renewed together with an up to date photograph.

They can only be renewed for persons currently resident in the UK, so if you live in France and your photocard licence is due to expire, then you'll have to exchange it for a French one.

Entitlements are fully transferrable, the only downside being for people with B(E), C1, C1(E), D1 and D1(E) categories who will now need to have periodic medicals in order to retain those categories.

Check those dates.....[;-)]

Leo wrote;

Just to clarify ;

If your UK photocard licence was issued ,to you ,in 1998 then all of the above applies from next year.

However,

If you were issued a UK photocard licence in , for example , May 2004 then the above will apply , only when we reach ,May 2014.

[/quote]

My paper licence (which I'd had for 10 years) was exchanged for a photocard one when I lost it in 2002.

It expires in 2010 [8-)].  Valid for 8 years and 5 months.  What's that all about??? [8-)]

Not that I'm bothered - just pointing out they weren't necessarily issued for 10 years!

Changing your photo on the photocard driving licence

Your photocard driving licence is valid for a maximum of 10 years, to ensure that your photograph is kept up to date with your true likeness. The DVLA will issue you with a reminder when your photocard driving licence is due for renewal.

(Source:  DVLA)

But where are they to send it SD.

Obviously many won't be contactable via their previous UK address anymore and you can't change it to a non UK one so what is one to do, use a ghost UK address perhaps or exchange it for a French one before it runs out ?

I can just imagine the fun to be had in trying to exchange an expired UK licence [blink]

• 2 weeks later...
Doh!

I've got to reapply for my passport too...

Just a quick point re the differences between a paper license and the newer paper/photo license: I think I'm right in saying that those (like me) who have the new style photo license aren't automatically eligible to drive a certain weight/seating category.

I remember having an eleven seater land rover and being told that with my photo license I wasn't strictly eligible.

Bones,

If you passed your test prior to 1 January 1997 then you will have several groups for which one now has to take additional tests.  There is more information here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

You can check against the information to see what categories you are entitled to.  They are shown on the Driving Licence too.

[quote user="groslard"]Perhaps I've missed the point.
I exchanged my licence in 1995 and there is at present no limit of age on my French licence.
You can drive on a UK licence here but as soon as you get 'points' you MUST exchange it for a French one.
[/quote]

Not sure you have to change your licence. I was caught speeding in November (by a camera) and was just asked to pay the 90 euros fine. Although one penalty point was noted on the letter i was not asked to either name the driver (it's jointly registered with my better half) or change my licence.

Tim

[quote user="timc17"]

[quote user="groslard"]Perhaps I've missed the point.
I exchanged my licence in 1995 and there is at present no limit of age on my French licence.
You can drive on a UK licence here but as soon as you get 'points' you MUST exchange it for a French one.
[/quote]

Not sure you have to change your licence. I was caught speeding in November (by a camera) and was just asked to pay the 90 euros fine. Although one penalty point was noted on the letter i was not asked to either name the driver (it's jointly registered with my better half) or change my licence.

Tim

[/quote]

Thats why groslard said point' (s)  Tim, one point is normally just kept on record, anymore and it's a change required.