telepeage gizmo - battery?

tonyv

I've had a SANEF telepéage gizmo for a couple of years now; and very useful it is, too. It occurs to me that there is no way of replacing a battery, and I can't believe it works without. Does it just die after a certain amount of time, which would be inconveient, to say the least, or is there a low battery warning of some sort.

Does anyone have any experience of these things?

Yes you are quite right when you say there is a battery and there is no way to replace it.

SANEF will give you a replacement free of charge (no pun intended, well maybe a little bit) and I understand that a warning sign that the battery is low is a strangled noise instead of the clear loud BEEP as you go through the peage.

I've had my telepeage badge for years with no problem, I just have the horrible thought about what may happen  this weekend as I have to use it several times [:(]

The stated life of the battery "in normal use" is 3 years, though apparently it may be shortened by exposure to extreme heat

Most of your queries are covered here:

http://www.asf-telepeage.fr/telepeage-professionnels/questions-reponses-telepeage-pro.htm#num4

If you are in a dedicated telepeage lane and the barrier does not rise, just use the call button by the side of the lane. If you are in a mixed lane - eg especially where you would otherwise take a ticket, then simply take a ticket and ensure that you go to a manned lane when leaving - the operator can use the barcode on the doofer to charge your account.

And if you are on the autoroute this weekend, you will no doubt be aware that Saturday is classed as a "black" day according to bison futé for journeys away from Paris.

Regards

Pickles

Being insatiably curious I cracked my doofah open not long after I got it and discovered that it contains a standard PCB mount lithium cell

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=2409421

It's about 3 years old and shows no sign of failing yet but the battery life will depend very much on frequenncy of use. Mine is used at least every fortnight for the trip to and from Toulouse airport so probably gets as much use as anybody else here.

Just got back from a short visit to friends and  ........... do you know what?  Our doofer flaked out!

Had to back out of the dedicated lane (it was quiet, so no problem) and took a ticket at the next lane (doofer didn't bleep there, so that confirmed the problem).

On returning today, we paid for the first section in the conventional way and pulled up at the Espace Client booth. Just my luck to be behind a plonker who was taking out a new contract and wanted to tell the woman his bloody life story. As per normal though, I took it in my usual patient manner![6]

Anyway, doofer duly pronounced mort and then she insisted on starting up a new contract for €2 less per annum. My instinctive cynicism suspects that a/c 'churning' = meeting of targets / bonuses, but there you go. New shiny smaller doofer handed over, which now pings instead of grates (see above post). Woman confirms doofer life at 3-4 yrs, though mine did for 6.

By the way, she called it un doofer

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="AnOther"]Can't speak for all of them but the SANEF one only charges the fee in the month's in which it is used.

[/quote]

How do they make the charge? I can not make the total of the individual transactions on the web site, equal the amount that they have charged to my barclaycard. Yet I can find reference to a handling fee on the web based facture. (Never looked in this detail before but the last trip needs some costs sharing out)

[quote user="Gardian"]New shiny smaller doofer handed over, which now pings instead of grates...[/quote]Does the new doofer fit the old doofer holder?  I mean, if it's smaller it will presumably go into the holder, but can it fall out?

NB: doofer holder = un holder de doofer.  Maybe.

[quote user="AnOther"]Can't speak for all of them but the SANEF one only charges the fee in the month's in which it is used.[/quote]

[quote user="Théière"]Ali's said the same, only charged when you use it [/quote]

There is a difference: the SANEF one charges you a monthly subscription in the months that you use it, plus the toll charges. The ALIS one does not charge any monthly subscription, at any time. All you pay are the toll charges.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="AnOther"]Can't speak for all of them but the SANEF one only charges the fee in the month's in which it is used.[/quote]
[quote user="Théière"]Ali's said the same, only charged when you use it [/quote]

There is a difference: the SANEF one charges you a monthly subscription in the months that you use it, plus the toll charges. The ALIS one does not charge any monthly subscription, at any time. All you pay are the toll charges.

Regards
Pickles
[/quote]

Be careful with what you say now Pickles otherwise we could end up with ALIS having Nationwide syndrome - you know where everyone starts using it so they then start charging for it.

Paul