Obtaining a telepeage box from Sanef

Welshman

I'm a UK resident who travels fairly frequently by car through France. I've been on the Sanef website and from what I can work out, unless I have a French bank account - which I don't - I will need to stop in person at one of the Sanef offices near the Autoroute, provide ID and proof of address and pay  for the Telepeage black box using a UK credit card. The Sanef site doesn't give a precise location for their offices: the application form which you can download gives an approximate location. The two offices which would suit me are either Fresnes or Hordain.

Are they right on the autoroute at a service station or are they signposted off the autoroute?

Any help gratefully received.

I believe you can order them on-line with a UK card and address.  I have never done it myself.  The offices seem to be at very specific locations, as you say, and are just beyond the barriers, I think.  However, bizzarly, if you do a search for "telepeage doofah" (sic), top right, you'll find some first-hand experiences!

Hi

We have a telepeage tag which we organised through the Sanef website. It was posted to a UK address and is paid for using a UK credit card, the only maintenace required to the account is when your credit card reaches it's expiry date you need to confirm either the new expiry date and the new card number if it has changed. You can do this either by e-mail or in person at one of their boutiques. I had to call into one of their boutiques on our recent trip to update credit card details, the easiest one we found to use heading south on the A1 was at the peage just north of Paris. It is over to the right hand side just after the peage.

Good luck

Paul

[quote user="Cjlaws"]

Welshman - yes you can obtain a télépéage badge by post from the UK and pay by credit card. You'll have to fill in this form Note that you'll have to send a photocopy of your credit card.

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

I did it without the requirement to photocopy card details, and then switched payment to a French bank account so as to avoid the renewal process at card expiry time.  Best thing i did, especially when travelling alone on the Peage Network.

Outwith the obvious convenience factor is there any other advantage in having a Télépéage badge ?

Chief, I'm not sure I understand your comment :-

[quote user="Chief"]Best thing i did, especially when travelling alone on the Peage Network.[/quote]

Are you afraid of something, and how did you get it without the C/Card copy, just not put it in with the form ? 

Speaking personally, also a frequent lone traveller (well, apart from the cat), it's not a case of being afraid of anything, but it's a great joy not to have to get out and run round the car (especially in cold or wet weather) to take a ticket, or to have to lean right across the vehicle (and the large wicker cat basket in the passenger seat) and risk dropping the money when paying.

Ah yes, silly me, I had completely forgotten about the "wrong side" element, damn that Napoleon fellow..........[blink]

I see in one or 2 places they have "English" lanes with the machine on the correct side.

EDIT: I've heard stories about the Gendarmes waiting at the Peage for people to do this then nicking them for leaving their engines running, hopefully just a silly urban myth.

[quote user="Fay"]Speaking personally, also a frequent lone traveller (well, apart from the cat), it's not a case of being afraid of anything, but it's a great joy not to have to get out and run round the car (especially in cold or wet weather) to take a ticket, or to have to lean right across the vehicle (and the large wicker cat basket in the passenger seat) and risk dropping the money when paying.[/quote]

It is not the large wicker basket, it is the sticking up hand brake, the gear leaver, and the seat belt socket all of which seem to have been aimed OPD.    

Quote ErnieY

"Outwith the obvious convenience factor is there any other advantage in having a Télépéage badge ?"

There can be.  From time to time there are deals so, for example, the deal I have with SAPRR is that I can have one trip in 6 free between 2 designated (by me) toll boths on their network.

Also of course I avoid the 1 hour plus queues at the A7 northbound Lyon tollgates in July and August!  Now that is a bit more than just convenience.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Cjlaws"]

Welshman - yes you can obtain a télépéage badge by post from the UK and pay by credit card. You'll have to fill in this form Note that you'll have to send a photocopy of your credit card.

Hope this helps.

[/quote]

Thank you. This worked a treat as I received my transponder in the post on Monday. This will ease next Tuesday's trip to Liechstenstein considerably.

Yes, that slightly smug smile that you have as you sail past the queues, until you forget that you have bikes on the roof and they hit the barrier. It happened to me - bikes, carriers, roof bars - the lot deposited in the road behind me. Smile slightly less smug now. I was on my own - no-one came, as I set to, to take the whole thing apart and rebuild it back on the roof. In case anyone is now panicking, let me tell you that the barrier is set at 2 metres and a roof box on most ordinary cars will go through. And in any case no-one could be as daft as me, could they?

Patrick

• 1 year later...
I just signed up for the Alis offer. No subscription or standing charge but you do need a french bank account. They will send it to the UK and mine took about a week in total. They also sent me hi-viz waistcoat as part of the package. Additionally, you can nominate a section of the A28 Rouen - Alencon route where you'd like to get a small discount.  I haven't used it in anger yet but come October....[8-|]

Definately worth while and can be paid for with a UK credit card once obtianed from the SANEF website. Only last night I raced up from the Charente to Calais and it is such a pleasure to sneak past all the SUV's and BMW's at the Peage, who then give you looks to die for when they find themselves passing you for a second time.

Sometimes there is a moment's delay before the barrier rises and you can see the Frenchman behind you in the queue thinking the 'silly foreigner has gone in the wrong lane'. A face full of black smoke usually has them thinking again.

• 5 months later...

I'm sure someone out there will help me with 3 small questions relating to obtaining a telepeage box directly online and having it delivered to the UK:

Firstly, are SANEF the only one's to do it or are there others? (Reason is I do most of my driving in the rhone-alps, so if a company out that way does the same thing, there may be some occasional bonus deals to be had).

Secondly, is it a standard deal that the 2 euro a month subscription is only payable for the months you actually use the telepeage on an autoroute?

Finally, can you pay the deposit, subscriptions and tolls with a Nationwide Flexaccount debitcard (taking advantage of interbank exchange rates), or does it need to be a credit card?  

Thanks in anticipation

There are 2 or 3 operators and ASF cover Rhone Alps. Mine is with SANEF and with that you do only pay the €2 for the month's you use it.

Mine is on my CA Debit card and I guess you can probably use your NW one but their credit card has no charges anyway so it's as broad as it's long in that respect.

Thanks ErnieY.  Since posting this morning I found out that none of the Rhone-Alps operators have favourable deals at present.  I also found out that ALIS-SA, who cover some of northern France offer a no subscription and no deposit liber-t 'confort' telepeage service.  They deliver the box to the UK for free and you only pay for the tolls.  They require a direct debit with a french bank account to take the tolls, but as I have one with Axa that isn't a problem.  I suppose doing it that way means that you don't have to update payment methods when your credit or debit card expires or (god forbid) they were to be lost or stolen.  I read that some people have also received a free detailed map of france and a high vis jacket with their box. 

It seems like a pretty good deal so I will order one.  Application is one a one page form, downloaded from the website, sent with a R.I.B.  See what happens!  Thanks again

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]

I also found out that ALIS-SA, who cover some of northern France offer a no subscription and no deposit liber-t 'confort' telepeage service.  They deliver the box to the UK for free and you only pay for the tolls.  They require a direct debit with a french bank account to take the tolls, but as I have one with Axa that isn't a problem.  I suppose doing it that way means that you don't have to update payment methods when your credit or debit card expires or (god forbid) they were to be lost or stolen.  I read that some people have also received a free detailed map of france and a high vis jacket with their box. 

It seems like a pretty good deal so I will order one.  Application is one a one page form, downloaded from the website, sent with a R.I.B.  See what happens!  Thanks again

[/quote]

That's what I posted earlier in this thread [8-)]

• 2 years later...