New speed limits

NickP

Lehaut wrote : How long is it going to take them to put all the new signs up, or will they wait until the law is rescinded to save the expense:(

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the present 90 signs are simply to be covered over - saves a lot of expense and makes it easy to undo if needed in 2 years time.

Substantial sections of the N7 round here have already had the speed limit reduced and 80 signage is already there.

Exiting a built up area often does not have a speed limit sign, it is just the national limit (90 now, 80 next month).

I think this will be a much smaller problem than many think.

[quote user="Kong"]Seems to be unpopular...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44472557[/quote]
Of course when they are pointless they will be unpopular. Tailgating is far more popular and causes accidents simply by being too close and not allowing any avoidance time.  Going slower people will feel more comfortable driving closer still, let alone the boredom factor.

UK roads far more populated but we are not as bad at tailgating (usually)

The stats will tell all in a few years if they release them, be watching to see how the revenue income rises to.

"Poids Lourd" which are currently limited to 80 already will they stay at 80 or be reduced to 70?

If the present logic is you can overtake a lorry limited to 80 on secondary road, does this mean the end to overtaking lorries on these roads?

[quote user="Lehaut"]

If the present logic is you can overtake a lorry limited to 80 on secondary road, does this mean the end to overtaking lorries on these roads?[/quote]

Why would you need to?  If the speed limit is 80 and the truck is travelling at 80.............

Well I would prefer to be in front rather than behind a truck tootling along at 80kph.

1. Having the truck in front significantly reduces my forward field of view and makes judging the road, its conditions and what others may be about to do much more difficult.

2. When the truck slows - as it inevitably will do because of other road users, reaching a 50km limit, sharp bend or whatever - its acceleration once the object has been passed is very much less than mine. Sod's law will say that at this time, road conditions will make overtaking impossible or at least unsafe/unwise.

https://www.sudouest.fr/2018/06/18/securite-routiere-les-routes-les-plus-meurtrieres-par-departement-5155984-4755.php

I see the logic behind this, reducing the speed from 90KPH to 80 KPH

means the impact of two cars front ending each other is now only 160 KPH

instead of 180KPH so obviously that will save lots of lives NOT! euro

NCAP is only 1 car at 31mph 50KPH into a stationary block of concrete.

So it is still a revenue exercise.

• 3 weeks later...
Does your Garmin update allow for the Tour de France ?

I only ask because today we were forbidden to use the main road in our Commune because of this road race .. from some unearthly hour of the night until heaven only knows when this evening. If you personally or the daily nurses or the ambulances needed to access anyone in trouble then tough .. the main road being our lone access to all points on the Presqu'Ile.

Not that I am against the tour, but good grief, on a Presqu'ile we have little enough access to main roads as it is ..so to suddenly be unable to access our route to anywhere/elsewhere was dangerous.

The Presqu'Ile has, over the years, become a major retirement area also a burgeoning growth area so it was bizarre that we were cut off from hospitals and the like all day.

My ancient Garmin satnavs would allow for the Tour de France as they have real time traffic updates and show closed roads. I was in Normandy for the 50th anniversary of D-Day and although large swathes of the road network were closed to the public they were accessible by ambulances and other emergency traffic.

Whilst this dates from 2011, it relates to the same geographic area and explains in detail exactly how the emergency services deal with the TDF. Hopefully it provides a little reassurance.

http://www.sdis85.com/activite-operationnelle/tour-de-france-2011/

Yes Sue, as my satnav has live traffic updates, also the car "reads" traffic speed signs. I believe that in Aquitaine they are not altering speed signs as a protest. So how people who are unaware of the new rules get on, dog knows?