Fears of unrest in Brittany after English-owned homes attacked

Worrying news... :-(

--------------------------

British expatriates in Brittany have been targeted in a series of attacks against foreign-owned property.

Darren and Linsey Widd, who moved to France after serving with the Army in Iraq, were one of three families affected on the same night.

The attacks have raised fears of a new wave of unrest in Brittany, where houses prices have risen dramatically in some areas after an influx of foreign residents and Parisian second-home owners...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article2045323.ece

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/09/wbreton109.xml

The way to fight attacks like these are to ensure that your response is totally disproportionate to the original attack...ie: for every brit home attacked, you attack 10 french homes.....simple.  The dis-proportinality makes their attacks pointless, and i suspect you will find they leave you alone.... ;-)

The Times report sounds like a fairly normal night in Manchester [6] - or like the attacks in Wales on holiday homes some years ago. It must have been frightening for the family though. I hope they find a more friendly area of France in which to live.

[quote user="trumpet"][quote user="Sunday Driver"]

Chief used to be a commando in the Israeli army.....[8-)]

[/quote]

Is that like being a sailor in the Swiss Navy?

(He really was wasn't he......gulp[+o(])

[/quote]

Well you do gain a lot of experience cruising Lake Geneva, the Rhein or Bodensee in a Patrol boat!

On a more serious note:

"Chief" has a typical dry sense of British Humor. They are thugs and it is hoped that these events are treated as vandalism and not blown up into something else which provides propaganda for their "cause"! 

Just settling down and now the drums have started.

Bugger so much to do! Got to get the boiling oil on. Load the muskets. Double the watch. And strengthen the barricades.

Its hell up here I tell you.

hang on..........incoming.

Its OK went overhead. Won't be long before they get the range though. Uh Oh........Now the porridge guns have started up.

Enough!!!! I surrender.

These "attack" reports are full of possibles and apparentlys, like a lighted rag was "Apparently " plunged into the fuel tank of their car - just how was that achieved on an Espace, locked cap etc -  and how did diesel fumes appear from the car and get into the house?   Diesel does just not erupt into flames if exposed to a naked flame like petrol does, so something is not quite right here.  Is it just possible that the car caught fire due to a fault and that the other attacks were not racial but just the work of common thieves. Probably were not the only houses in France trashed over the weekend so were they all racist attacks?  I suspect there is more to this car fire than meets the eye.

Suspicious with you Ron...

And was the man's home attacked because he is a Brit or is it something to do with the fact he is the owner of the local bar?

Having said that though, whatever the reason, the attack was outrageous and must have been particularly frightening for the small child involved. I hope they can settle again quickly.

Mel

....If we interpret it as racially motivated, premeditated attacks, it is NOT unrest, as unrest can generally and easily be expressed in a legally acceptable manner....if you are attacked directly, and placed in harms way, you need to respond in my opinion. If forced to respond, may it swift, brutal, decisive and overwhelming..in my opinion...and that of the israeli army..... :-))...or of course it could just in my good old british sense of humour :-)

Last years 'unrest in Brittany' story turned out to be 3 demonstrators and a man dressed up as a chicken, who was English and had gone along for the laugh, as far as I remember. So I think reports of a campaign against Brits or anything similar have to be treated with a pinch of salt at this stage 

I agree, it must have been a very nasty experience for the bar owners......

Thinking about it, it may have been 2005, however the man in question posted his intention and later pics, on a now defunct Brittany forum.... he may have said he was working at the local chicken factory at the time.........

How can I be sure of what ? That it wasn't a real chicken ?[:)]