Theres a hole in my bank account

BIG MAC

And it is EDF shaped

How do you stop these people from ram raiding your bank account for electricity you have never used?

I have looked on their web site to try to find a way of communicating in English as My French just isn't up to it.

Its bad enough getting charged for the pleasure of having a Bank Account.

Not happy

You are living in France and talking about a French company who provide a service to French domestic customers.  You surely don't expect them to have a dedicated English contact point just for "ram raid" victims like you....

So, you get a French speaking neighbour or friend to use the French telephone system to ring the helpful French client service people on your behalf and sort it out - in French, of course.  The telephone number is in the top left hand corner of your French electricity bill.

A logical and simple logical solution to solving a problem in a country where English isn't the national language.......

I don't live in France.

EDF a la' London power, Dalkia etc have many British employees.

In my experience UK utilility companies (London Power Included) do not make fast and loose with my hard earned.

I have tried communicating in pidgin French.

None of my neighbours are Bilingual as far as I am aware.

Of course we have the option of using a French speaking friend and as soon as we find one we may well do....

Of course if EDF had an English speaking contact to deal with their many English speaking customers well that would be right handy....It couldn't work could it? just like the immobiliers have twigged it's good for business...nah.....far too logical.....

But as SD says, this is France - do you expect all the EDF subsidiaries abroad, like the UK, to have foreign - like French, Polish, Bangladeshi, all the other languages that are now spoken in the UK - speakers on hand in case somebody that has that language as their first tongue?  If they did that would put their prices up even further and you'd probably have complaints about that.

Sorry to state the blindingly obvious but if you phone and ask, they could - perhaps, probably - find somebody with some English but as SD so rightly has mentioned on this and other threads today, it's France, they speak French and the way they do things here isn't the same as in the UK.  Want the UK system, only do things in the UK, in the meantime this is what you get in France.

Ask for the details of the statutory mediator if you have a real problem with them, take the mediator route because some of their staff do speak English, a chum has just done this and had a partial result.

Surely you read your meter before you moved in - how can they charge you for electricity that you haven't used?  If somebody has nicked it, it's down to them and you should be able to prove it from the last owner/renter's reading to the reading when you signed for the property.  If there's a problem with the meter, get them in to check it.  Go to your Mairie and ask for help.  See whether there's a Granny Service in your area of France, they may be able to help.  Look in Living France, French News or Connexions to see whether there is somebody that can help you locally - at a push go back to the Notaire, our guy actually arranged for the utilities to be sorted for us before we moved in.

Hi all,

They dont manage to send a bill they do manage to take money from our bank though?

Wondering whether they have some equivalent to Direct debit that we have inherited fro previous owners maybe, it's not a huge amount but irritating.

I shall pop in and see them when I am next over but even having informed my bank not to pay them its seemingly to no avail.

Must learn to speak better French

I wasn't expecting Urdu or Aboriginal simply asking doesanyone know if the have a service for their English speaking contingent, if they don't then arguably it's a good idea? after all microsoft gave them French windows (Deliberate pun)

All for speaking French, mega frustrated when I can't get my point across though.

Was making a simple point, wasn't expecting the guillotine lol

If you have received any bill in the past, you can register to look at your account online. That would give you some clue as to whats going on.

Bills come out every 2 months, but meters are only read twice a year, so you can find yourself overpaying. Normally they refund very quickly. They will even refund, by reverse DD, if you send them an actual reading to correct an estimate.

I suspect that you have paid by cheque in the past, and sent them a RIB and have accidentally asked to register for a direct debit. It would be a bit  unusual because you are supposed  to let the bank know that you have set up a DD. It can't be a carry over from the previous owner, as that wouldn't lead EdF to your account.

Its probably better to be raided, at least that way you won't be cut off, or find yourself surcharged for late payment.

Several things could be going on here.  The OP doesn't say what type of account he/she has set up.  Are you on a monthly payment plan, where at the end of the year, your meter is actually read and you get a bill for the actual usage - OR a refund if you overpaid?  You would have been asked when EDF opened an account for you what type of payment plan you wanted.  You might not have understood what they were asking / or offering, so you might have opted for something you didn't really want.

Are you sending in meter readings via mail or phone?  If you are not on a monthly payment plan, meaning you pay your bill every two months when it comes, you must have sent in a meter reading.  If you didn't, you will be getting estimated usage bills.  In my experience, these are outrageously high, so I make CERTAIN I send in my meter readings when they are due - otherwise, boom huge bill.  Of course that means my next bill is tiny, but the process is not easy on the budget.

Prelevements are easy to stop with EDF.  You can even do it online, though I don't know if it is available in English.  Another poster said their website offers an English version, so maybe it is possible to do it in English.  You can also sign up or cancel prelevements on the phone with EDF.  Takes less than five minutes. And, YOU can state what day of the month you wish your prelevements taken, say the 10th of the month following the receipt of any bills.

I'm not sure why you are not receiving a bill prior to your prelevements.  You need to verify your billing address with EDF.  They always send out the bill prior to taking the money, unless you have an annual contract with a set amount to be taken each month - if this is the case, you would have been given the contract at time of set-up. 

Don't forget, if you cancel your prelevement payments and you don't get a bill, EDF will not be getting paid and that will mean an electricity cut-off.  Best to look up some helpful phrases for a phone conversation.  EDF staff have been very helpful when I have called.

Good luck.

We did receive bills from EDF to our french address which meant we missed payment dates as we live in UK. They always over-estimate by large ammounts and in our area (53) they do not give refunds - they just let the credit run against subsequent bills. You could always write a letter using a free translation service like Babelfish on Altavista.co.uk home page. You can also translate web pages on this, so it may help explain your payment plan. I should say that the on-line payment system seems to be a bit hit and miss and can mean that you end up sending a cheque later than the expected payment date dur to it not working. 

Although this will be of no help to the OP in this thread, you can rectify over(or under) estimated readings by calling EDF (in French) and they will send an adjusted bill.

Even easier, register online for their 'Relevé Service Confiance', where they contact you (used to be by post, now by email) about 10 days before the bill is due to be sent, to enter your own meter readings. This can be done by phone (no speaking, just button pressing, but you do have to understand the instructions) or via their website.

I have 2 meters (house and gite) and both bills match my usage exactly, as I give them the meter reading myself.

Mac, are you getting your French post sent to the UK or is there a pile of it at your home?  PM me if you think there is a way I can help - maybe collect your post and see if there is anything from EDF?  As it's a small amount, is it just your standing charge that you are paying?

You beat me to it, Clair!

I have been using this sevice for over three years now: works well.

The one thing I did refuse to do was set up any form of hunting license on my French bank account: I have had enough problems with DDs on UK accounts!

I also ensured from the off, that EDF and all other utilities sent mail to my UK address.

So far so good.....................

And  all of a sudden all the good advice floods in...Thanks guys!

It maybe that in the general furore of signing things over we have inherited some kind of payment plan.

The last lump they took was 109 Euros (Does that sound like a standing charge?)

The advice Re St Lo great stuff will give it a go. 53 don't do refunds, not too fussed so long as we get the electricity we are paying for in the long run.

Cooperlola you are too kind but I reckon we can sort this, can't believe someone would go that far out of their way for little old us!

Please note the OP was written having just opened a French Bank statement, the writer was a little err errrm 'narked!

Thanks guy and girls one and all

Big Mac - yes it looks like a direct debit rather than a standing order. My last EDF bill was about 95 euros, but I live here. Seems likely you've signed a direct debit and EDF are estimating your bill on the last owner's consumption.

There's more than one person on this forum who will help you in telephoning EDF or even visiting them, but you'll need your last EDF bill and a current meter reading. Don't worry EDF will refund the excess they've taken from your bank account.

Feel free to PM me if you need more help.

Been reading this thread with some alarm! Why the aggressive reaction to poor Big Mac? We all have to start somewhere, and he was only asking for advice.Nice to see it did come along, but maybe you  guys don't realise how scary you can be. It would really put me off asking, I have to say - it's as bad as being in school!

This is so refreshing! It really is what this forum is all about - helping others in France. It is heartening how people are prepared to go out of their way to help when you approach it in the right way.

As for the underlying problem, I used a friend to sort out EDF when I bought my house and she handled everything with them and also the water services. All went without a hitch. I get statements sent to me in the UK, I pay by Direct debit which is always correct. Maybe I am lucky.

I know it is difficult to cancel Direct Debits in France, but it is possible with help from someone who speaks French and understands the systems.

Andy

EDF are terribly efficient at issuing refunds where they have over estimated.

We are signed up to receive an email from them on the four occassions a year when they send an estimated bill. If we don't respond to the email they estimate one anyway.

At the end of last October we must have been a little slow in replying to their email and I saw from our account online with them that they were raising an invoice for €116. They then acted on my slow response with the actual reading and issued a credit note for €21 which was in our bank account before they'd taken the amount on the estimated bill.

Efficient or what?

[quote user="Kate"]Been reading this thread with some alarm! Why the aggressive reaction to poor Big Mac? We all have to start somewhere, and he was only asking for advice.Nice to see it did come along, but maybe you  guys don't realise how scary you can be. It would really put me off asking, I have to say - it's as bad as being in school![/quote]

We're all KFC men at heart Kate [:D]

Kate:

Re-Read the posts to date and honestly don't feel the earlier posters were "Scary".

If you think is scary, then don't read posts- or worse respond to threads - in the House Renovation section if Nick's around! [:D] and posters are writing nonsense! [6]

Apols to Nick: he does know certain subjects inside out and has excellent working knowledge of others and at no time comes through as an "Expert", just a genuine guy kindly sharing his absolute knowledge with all of us.

Seriously, I believe that many members here migrated here from other fora which are inundated by what we might call the Great Brit Abroad, where they never bother to learn even minimal French and expect everything to be the same as Bootle or wherever................................... thus, perhaps, there is a vague sense of frustration from those who have bothered to put the time in, do the research and find some of the answers.

Of all the French fora aimed at Brits, Kate, you will find this the best for core information, hints, tips and a genuine will to assist others, therefore please don't be afraid to post your questions.

After a bit, you'll graduate from Newby to regular (BTW, the only reality that separate newbies from regulars is in the Newby's own mind!) and, I'm sure, you'll be contributing your own useful information.

Stick with it, Ma'am.

OOOps what have I started? I can assure you that I am not a migrant from another forum I simply surfed the net for a few weeks and came up with the conclusion that this forum is where the 'real' people hang out.

I haven't taken exception to anything said, indeed I would apologise if my OP was read in some way as being 'couldn't be bothered to learn French'. My remarks were borne of my frustration at despite making attempts, not being understood. More  critiscism of my own failings than the poor EDF bod rolling their eyes and think yet another Rosbif has gone ga ga.

As stated in my other post I am on a steep learning curve and shamelessly asking for help, I am quite honestly touched at how friendly people have been generally and hope that this bodes well for the future.

The perfectly valid remark that one should attempt to communicate with our hosts in their native tongue is of course absolutely right, albeit as a Scot I seem to recall the English having a hand in the anihilation of the Gaelic language!

France is a lovely country, and I love the French anarchic way of looking at things, hopefully our tenure will in some small way bring something to our commune even if its just the cash register in the boulangerie ringing that little bit more often.

Trainee Jacobite Me?

Mac: no need to apologise and keep right on asking for assistance!

BTW, what I meant about "Migrants from other fora" was not you: it was a number of the oldsters - in terms of longevity of membership -  here with excellent knowledge: they can appear to be terse at times and I believe (my own conclusion subject to correction!) that their earlier membership of other fora has invariably lead to a certain level of understandable frustration.

At the end of the day, if you don't ask: you don't learn, so keep right on asking.

Another aspect often forgotten is that once someone asks a question and it's answered, this thereafter becomes a searchable body of knowledge for everyone to trawl through when they are seeking solutions and guidance.

Hope you sort this one out, as said above, they are good at refunds once you're sorted.  I guess they're just sending you bills based on the former occupant's history.  However, if you do need help, holler.  It's not been such a trial for me as I learnt French when I was little but I do know what it's like for those starting out and the 'phone is positively the worst because you can't see the other person and can't resort to gestures and pointing!  My nearest English neighbour had no French when she moved here and it's been scarey for her too - especially as she's looking for work; but it's coming along really well now and her confidence is growing by the day.

Bon courage!

Hi, panic not - we have just had the last two months refunded into our dd account. As they had estimated the account (again) this is therefore four months in the past year where they have refuned our account. They usually refund very quickly, as we have found out.

Keni (he's a she)