French radar cameras will now flash if you're not wearing your sea belt

DaveLister

23 hours ago, betise said:

Yes, no one seems to remember the safe braking distance when doing 130 on the autoroute.

You don't have to remember it - even if you did, how are you going to measure it on a road at 130 kph?

What you do is to use the 2 second rule. The two-second rule helps a defensive driver to estimate the minimum  following distance needed to reduce the risk of collision under ideal driving conditions.

"Only a fool breaks the two second rule - when it starts to pour, you make it four"

Following another vehicle, you pick a road feature, a crack in the road, a post at the side, a piece of litter in the gutter etc and as the back of the vehicle in front passes that point you say "Only a fool breaks the two second rule" which at normal speaking speed takes about 2 seconds, if the front of your car gets to the road feature before the two seconds, you are too close, drop back and repeat etc. To make it four seconds in the wet, you say it twice. 

Driving on snow or ice you make it ten seconds.

Some roads have those two long lines to look at.  I'm pleased to say I am now an even worse hanger- backer than a sit-on- your--tail driver, and have been since a contretemps with a white van man, who cut in the gap I'd left in queing traffic (but obviously not enough of one evidently) small though it was caused the car to be written off.  8 years old and in the wrong country, not worth it to the insurance to repair it!  I never did drive close but that was enough to keep me even further back. 

On 08/10/2023 at 09:08, DaveLister said:

or are on the phone.

In all 15 different infractions are about to be logged by the cameras.

Details below.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000037411183

In practice, French radars are not yet equipped to detect all these offenses . Technology will evolve and could hit the roads faster than expected. However, one question remains unanswered: would AI as a fine-tuning system be too intrusive to the point of entering into the private lives of motorists?

https://auto.orange.fr/ecomobilite/news/securite-routiere-15-infractions-bientot-relevees-par-les-radars-CNT0000028jXcK.html

Much as I love technology, a medieval approach works well too.  St Ives, Cambridgeshire has one of these "traps" at the end of a bus lane.  Wide enough for a bus to pass, but not for a car -  as the second picture shows.

Look forward to seeing one in the bus lanes here in Nantes.

image.png.9140ee14f2c0ec954448a2062dc1cec0.png

image.png.e9965c10a0f713a057b638cf588f4e09.png

• 2 weeks later...

dept71, yes I registered the car I originally brought with me to France.  Did all the paperwork within 6 weeks, had the lights changed, etc.

About 3 years ago, we had 3 cars for 2 people and I was undergoing treatment which made it dangerous for me to drive.  So I sold my car.....it was already 22 years old, to a French man who sold it on to another French man and the car is still going strong because I see it in town.

On 27/10/2023 at 12:52, DaveLister said:

I'm assuming most RHD cars would have a foreign number plate. Otherwise wouldn't it be noted on the Carte Gris ?

We have one LHD bought in france car and one RHD imported new from the UK in 2015 both are french registered of course. There is no visible coding on a carte grise to identify a RHD car - but probably it is within the VIN number.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harnser said:

We have one LHD bought in france car and one RHD imported new from the UK in 2015 both are french registered of course. There is no visible coding on a carte grise to identify a RHD car - but probably it is within the VIN number.

We have two right hand drive French registered cars, as you say nothing on the CG.

• Like 1