Proving my identity

DaveLister

This is a new one on me. After emailing scanned copies of my passport & a recent bank statement to a certain UK financial institution I've now been asked to send them a photograph of me holding said passport.

What does that prove? If I'm a clever enough to forge a passport do they think I'll have difficulty taking a selfie? 🤣

I've had this too. It took me several attempts to get their recognition software to confirm that I was the same person as the chap in the passport. It was also some financial institution but I can't remember which one. It's this double wammy identification verification designed to slow down your life.

Most advanced one so far experienced is the UK Government Gateway site.  You download their app and it scans the RFID tag on the front of the biometric passport (if you have one).  It lets you see what is on there.  The app then scans your face with another weird system (not normal, possible fit inducing colours) before it confirms it is indeed you.  The app then appears to disappear from your phone.

Annoyingly, the app page on Google Play for the Government app actually has adverts and it is possible to download the wrong app.

Had to to the face recognition to open a Revolut account, all worked OK.

Well I'm glad I've held off. I got the selfie message from the poor lad who's been assigned to handle my complaint. The letter is apparently in the post. Considering the comments above I'll wait until it arrives before posing in front of the camera. Don't want to waste my time doing something that could be rejected.

Good heavens!  Thanks for posting, guys, I would have been totally rattled if I hadn't seen your posts.

I am thinking of taking one of my pensions this year, whilst I am still alive to enjoy it.  And, yes, it is from a bank so now I will be prepared......thanks again.

I never cease to be amazed at what I learn on here😄

Thanks for asking, Lori.  Yes, head seems a lot clearer though still have frequent headaches, something that I hardly ever suffer from.

Proving identity.....guess nobody's going to recognise me at the moment! 

But, seriously, everything is getting better but I am being ultra careful such as not carrying things downstairs that require both hands ......  as for tight-ropes, yeah, given them up for the moment.

Thank you, Lori, for being so gentille🙂

Glad your still on the mend.  I hope the headaches go away.  A bit worrying.

I never go down stairs unless I can use one arm balancing on the banister.   In my older age, I don't really like stairs so much.  And the French seem to have no problem at all having stairs with NO banister or rail.

Back to the identity thing...

i had to prove myself to a UK solicitor's office recently. The usual passport had to be uploaded, then not only facial ID, fitting myself into their on-screen oval, but then I had to turn to face left, then right, and finally say "One two three" out loud.

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better, mint.