Please translate into sensible English

Shorthand for "éco-engagé" which has become a buzzword. Engagement éco responsable and all that.

Clothing produced in an environmentally responsible way. 

Nice to see the forum working again by the way.

Edited by EuroTr@sh

Petit Bateau is a very very expensive brand of kids clothing. Well out of our league anyway. 

So basically rich Parisians will drive into central Paris in their gas guzzling SUV's or sports cars to buy their kids eco friendly clothing. 😀

Something is not quite right here 🤔

You still working on your campsite ET ? Or has it burnt down ?

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Petit Bateau is a very very expensive brand of kids clothing. Well out of our league anyway. 

So basically rich Parisians will drive into central Paris in their gas guzzling SUV's or sports cars to buy their kids eco friendly clothing. 😀

Something is not quite right here 🤔

You still working on your campsite ET ? Or has it burnt down ?

I see they have gone beyond simply having the labels on the outside to show off what you wear, they plaster the name all over the clothes.

And the prices are beyond ridiculous!

Hello ALBF - long time no hear, are you doing OK? I missed you  :classic_love:

No we didn't have any drama here, there were a couple of little fires in the woods nearby and one time the smell of smoke reached the campsite but they didn't spread. Soon be wrapping up, another fortnight then I'm gone. Actually it's been a cracker of a season, I've enjoyed myself. Nice to retire on a high :classic_biggrin:

Yes absolutely, engagé can very often be best translated as committed or involved.

So here it refers to a commitment to being eco responsable. It doesn't actually say that, but that's what a French person will understand from the context.

This is a useful site to see the range of meanings a term can have and different ways of translating it into English according to context https://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/search?source=auto&query=engagé

for instance in some of the examples, the meaning is closer to the English "engaged" in the sense of, recruited or taken on to provide a service, and in those cases committed or involved wouldn't work as a translation.