Snake problem in the south Charente

Just as everything is going well, my wife who has got a very bad phobia of snakes spotted 3 in the same amount off days. The first 2 were in close proximity to the house and the 3rd basking on a large fallen tree. My 72 year old nieghbour informed me that the smallest one the 1st that was hanging around the cellar doors was a viper, and the other 2 looked like they came from a Spielburg film set were harmless but none the less, enough to give many a sleepless night's for my wife.

The locals have given me many remedies, from saucers of milk dosed with poison (as they used to do 20years ago), and even beating them with yesterdays bread. I have bought some repellant but would be grateful for any tips to keep the slippery little (& large) so and so's at bay

They are welcome in the garden if they behave themselves but our house and cellars are strictly out of bounds.

Cheers,  Dave N.

• 2 months later...

Yes, I agree about keeping chickens. Snakes are sensitive little devils and they don't like being disturbed, and chickens with their incessant scratching will disturb them no end.

You could try stamping your feet, or bang the ground as you walk along with a stick. They will feel the vibrations, and melt away. You may not get rid of them, but you probably wont see them.

I'm not sure that snakes drink milk that often - with or without the poison!

I remember catching a rather large snake over near Clere du Bois,. (don't try if if you haven't got the equipment). The neighbours were fascinated and told all the other neighbours to come and look at it. This was 30 years ago in what was a well known snake environment, and yet the locals had hardly ever seen one close up before.

I'm sorry about your wifes' phobia.

Its not fair I used to love snakes as a kid and Iv been looking all over we are in the dieux severes not one alive seen a few flat on the road but none live I watch all the snake programes and the lad had a yelow rat snake for eight years .So send them down here mine you though we do have chickens

Sorry to hear about your wife's phobia. This kind of fear responds well to desensitisation therapy, and quite quickly too, if clinical psychologists exist in France. I used to have a phobia of spiders, and trained myself out of it. Keep them as pets now and to trap the mosquitos. We are in SW Gers and there are snakes here too, probably in most parts of France. Pat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

Sorry to hear of your wife's snake phobia, as I am exactly the same, but I also find them facinating.

I agree with the chickens idea and also make them know you are coming by making loud footsteps and noise in general.  I have just moved to the Vendee and am in a part called the Marais Poitevin, marshland with lots of ditches and waterways.  Perfect for snakes and there are some big 'uns. BUT...they all ****** off with tout vitesse if they hear people( or should I say feel our vibrations as snakes have no ears).  The vipers you may have are probably the Common Viper or Adder.  I have never seen one as I make a lot of noise on my photographic forays into the Venise Verte, but I have seen several Grass snakes of varying sizes as they make a quick dash for cover on my appearance.  The Adder's bite is venomous but is never fatal if medical assistance is sought asap.  If you get bitten try not to run from the scene as this will hasten the venom into the blood stream. Wash area with cold water and apply a loose dressing. Call the POMPIERS ( who act as ambulances and Paramedics ) or take the casuaty to the URGENCES at hospital.

NEVER SUCK OUT SNAKE VENOM...it is a tissue damaging type that is SIMILAR to rattlesnake venom but not as potent. 

Snakes are wonderful creatures and it would be great if you can live with them rather than kill them. I hope this has helped.  

I can tell you how I would do it. Being ex army and spending quite a bit of time in the desert in the 50s and 60s we caught quite a few snakes.

Cut of the head, make an incision on the underside of the snake at the head end to seperate the skin from the flesh enough so as to get hold of the skin and pull down firmly. The skin will peel of like a sock, leaving you with a skinnless snake. You then pare away the under skin around the abdomen to clear out the entrails. These will slip away easily leaving you with a skinless, gutless snake. Cut this up into good chunks and simmer in a pan of boiling water for 10 mins, then drain and fry in a pan of foaming butter until nicely browned.

Delicious. A bit like chicken.

• 3 weeks later...

"You will find "fact sheets" on all the snakes in France on our site.   Generally as has already been said they are gone before you get near them (sadly)."

Thanks Chris you old Trogoautoegocrat, a good site and great for an amateur herpetologist like me. Look forward to brousing through it when I have the time.

If you really want to see snakes - do everything quietly, no talking, walk very slowly, search with your eyes, carry a long cane or stick, and pause every few paces for several seconds. Preferably on a sunny day when the snakes will be basking in the sun. It's an experience!

Hello Chris,

My wife and I are renovating a house in 49 about 10k north of Saumur.

We live in North Yorkshire. I'm retired but Alison is still not quite finished with her career yet, so I'm waiting with bated breath for the time when we can spend more time in France.

In the meantime I am kept busy with a two acre garden and running a B&B and a couple of holiday cottages in the vale of Pickering.

I have a feel for natural history though strictly amateur and self taught.

How about you? 

Live and work in the south of Vienne (86) and enjoy the natural world ( always have ) no expertise as such. Every day I see something that surprises me or I learn something new - France probably has the most interesting wildlife in Europe. Thats about it really.

Chris

• 7 months later...

Well would you believe it? I have just returned from 49 where Alison and I have been working on our little house. We had been cleaning up the front garden and transporting the rubble and soil etc in plastic bags to the decheterie. On returning home to N.Yorkshire last week and emptying the car we fould a baby grass snake which must have crawled out of one of the bags. I have housed it in a small vivarium where hopefully it will be acclimatising to Yorkshire weather before I let it go around the wildlife pond in our orchard. Well it's too small to eat!!

Pretty little thing though and it hisses with a french accent.

www.thebestbedandbreakfast.co.uk

For those that don't like snakes, you can buy a spray in the bricolages that will discourage snakes by smell! They don't like the specially concocted odour and go elsewhere unharmed. Seemed to work in our small courtyard at our last house. Present garden to big to use it practically.

hi

ok the french say .........if you have chickens you will have no snakes!!!!    how true it  is ??????

but the bird flu worries me more than the snakes.......

dave

[quote user="chris pp"]

if you have chickens you will have no snakes!    False!

but the bird flu worries me more  It shouldn't!

Chris

[/quote]

We have chickens, we also have snakes. The biggest I have seen so far

basking on the back wall was close to 1.8m in length - somewhat

uncharacteristically, it didn't flee at my approach and I was able to

walk pretty much up to it before it decided to move. I was able to mark

off where it had been on the wall and it was helpfully lying pretty

much straight out, which is how I was able to get a good measurement.

I see quite a lot here (we're on top of the marais too).

Well, this posting could really make my mind up as to where I move to!  As someone who has a pathological hatred of all things reptilian (including the 2 legged variety) it could be that the Vendee has been scratched from my list of possible areas to retire to. I hate all snakes, frogs.toads etc. I can't imagine living somewhere where they live, breed and generally make my life a living hell. Sorry to all snake lovers but I fear that it would not suit me at all after reading all these 'snake' posts!

(lol)   Sandra

[quote user="sclarke2208"]

Well, this posting could really make my mind up as to where I move to!  As someone who has a pathological hatred of all things reptilian (including the 2 legged variety) it could be that the Vendee has been scratched from my list of possible areas to retire to. I hate all snakes, frogs.toads etc. I can't imagine living somewhere where they live, breed and generally make my life a living hell. Sorry to all snake lovers but I fear that it would not suit me at all after reading all these 'snake' posts!

(lol)   Sandra

[/quote]

Hi Sandra,

You should go to see someone about your hatred of all things reptilian.  I used to have such a phobia about spiders (couldn't even say the word "spider" - there were known as beasties in our house!) that if I saw one (even one less than 2mm in size) I would hyper-ventilate & end up in a dreadful state.  I went to a hypnotist & now .......  can get close enough to them, to suck them up in a "bug catcher" thing I have & chuck them in the back garden!!  I still don't like them - but life (& the hubbies life) is a lot easier now.

Don't let them ruin your time in France.  I swear, if it worked for someone as bad as me - it will work for you!!  [blink]

Sandra, are you living in the UK?  If you are, unless you are going to stay there you will have to go north to avoid the creatures that you have mentioned. Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Portugal, Greece and and and.....a long list all have these creatures, even the UK to a small extent. They really are OK and not a problem at all.

I think that my new business venture will be "Learning to live with life" 2 week courses at a reasonable price! Of course you have to start by actually finding these various little darlings.

Chris

[quote user="sclarke2208"]

Well, this posting could really make my

mind up as to where I move to!  As someone who has a pathological

hatred of all things reptilian (including the 2 legged variety) it

could be that the Vendee has been scratched from my list of possible

areas to retire to. I hate all snakes, frogs.toads etc. I can't imagine

living somewhere where they live, breed and generally make my life a

living hell. Sorry to all snake lovers but I fear that it would not

suit me at all after reading all these 'snake' posts!

(lol)   Sandra

[/quote]

Ah, well there is the Vendéen bocage. While I couldn't guarantee that

it is entirely free of reptiles (particularly the two legged varity -

you wouldn't believe the story I heard last week about a

British "swinger" ring based in a village up there [blink]) I

think it likely that there are far few than down here.

Obviously some very dodgy business going on up there in the North.

As to dodgy animals / reptiles down here in the South:

Snakes: yes.  Frogs: yes.  Toads: yes  Lizards: yes.

All (essentially) harmless, and you'd very quickly get used to them.