To start with, yes we live in a big old house in the middle of the forest, so we can obviously expect to get the odd animal or ten!  But, we are currently having problems with doormice (Loirs) and a few rats, which are getting in to the roof area and finding their way in to cupboards/wardrobes via electric conduits, etc.  We have put down the usual poisons and traps but they dont seem to be working? Can anybody suggest any remedies for this problem???

I would strongly recommend not using poison because of secondary poison on the wild life, for example owls that eat the mice etc.. It does sound terrible particularly regarding the rats.  [:'(] It may be worth looking at buying some of the sonic devices to deter them and perhaps scattering the old fashioned mothballs in your loft that they don't like to deter as well.

Cheers! Thanks for the comments!  We've looked at some of the sonic devices, but as we have no actual roof space/attic (meaning the roof space is a small area between the tiles and the interior ceiling) we are not sure if the signal strength would work by just placing them in the bedrooms??? As for a Cat......... I don't think the dog would be too imperssed!

C&S

You must be a good shot to hit a mouse with a mothball.England cricket needs you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have a cat who is good outside but not in the house!

SO WE USE CHEESE IN MOUSE TRAPS WHEN CAT OUTSIDE.

AS FAR AS DOGS MIXING WITH CATS I AM SURE THEY WILL GIVE EACH OTHER SPACE -

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice!  We have purchased a load of the sonic devices and a tonne of mothballs, but, we are still getting the Loirs (doormice) happily playing inside our electric cupboard and one of the upstairs bedrooms.  They even have the cheek to poo right next to the sonic device in the cupboards! I don't suppose you have any other suggestions that may help us???

C&S

It's not rocket science. You must block up all holes wherever there is plumbing/wiring coming from outside or from loft area. You can use morter or plaster depending on surounding materials or expanding foam in a spray can fitted with a long narrow nozle for difficult to get at places. Those sonic thingies only work when there is no vermin already in place.

Good luck!

This does not sound very humane and I admit I too was shocked at first but it was the final straw when the mice ate my lovely Laura Ashley chair! MOUSE GLUE!

Works a treat. You can buy it in Mr Bricolage etc. Put it on a strong piece of card or plywood where the mice hang out and they run on, get stuck, can't get off and will eventually die. To make it more humane you take them outside and bash them to kill them quickly!

It really is awful I know but this done consistently will get rid of them. We normally catch 10-15 this way each week at breeding times.

I have a super efficient tho rather elderly mouse killing machine called Sam.  He now has two more recent companions, younger but still aged 15 and 13, that we've still adopted.

To prove he's the alpha male he bumped off three of the little varmints during the course of the day and kindly left them in the drive but came to 'tell' me he'd left a pressie.  Good tunes and old fiddles come to mind.

[quote user="Pumpkin"]

This does not sound very humane and I admit I too was shocked at first but it was the final straw when the mice ate my lovely Laura Ashley chair! MOUSE GLUE!

Works a treat. You can buy it in Mr Bricolage etc. Put it on a strong piece of card or plywood where the mice hang out and they run on, get stuck, can't get off and will eventually die. To make it more humane you take them outside and bash them to kill them quickly!

It really is awful I know but this done consistently will get rid of them. We normally catch 10-15 this way each week at breeding times.

[/quote]

Pumpkin, sorry and I do understand your frustration but I find that disgusting. I have seen them in the shops and have been shocked. You could not pay me enough to do something as barbaric as that!

We have recently had a mouse problem and there ARE ways of dealing with it without such cruelty and barbarity. I know this comment will bring out all of those that are hard a**** that would do such cruel things without thinking about it, but I really don't care. [:@]

Must say I agree with you WJT, it does sound particularly cruel. We have several cats that take care of the mice and those they can't get (maybe in a cupboard) get caught with a convential mouse trap.

For the other poster who was worried about their dog not liking a cat in the place - we also have dogs, and they all get along together.

[quote user="Polly"]We get free mouse poison from the Mairie![/quote]

Be very careful using poison,

Poison kills Mouse, Cat finds Mouse, Cat eats Mouse, Poison kills Cat, etc etc...........................

substitute other carnivores in place of cat, it works the same.

If  they are a problem use a humane trap...............................................

Consider this as an alternative to a cat.    I had a Great Dane,  an accomplished mouser who used to bring the little blighters to me then put them on my lap  - half chewed  [+o(]     She caught hundreds in her lifetime!

We had probs with a resident Loir but we nabbed the little *** with a humane trap and relocated him into a barn miles away.   Rest assured that we only keep the trap open and baited when at the house, yet we have not caught another one despite the camembert & peanuts bait! 

Poor mice, I don't know which is the worse death, being half chewed by a cat, or set solid in glue. Terrible death either way.  I have them in the attic and use a sonic device.  Every so often I think they make a further hole which we have to block. I used poison once and they partied for weeks on it and none died! Pink pellets cost me a fortune too.

Georgina

• 3 weeks later...

I have to agree with Eos about chocolate.

We came back yesterday after a few days away to find a mouse in the kitchen. First we'd ever seen but they're probaly seeking warmth now it's getting colder.

I bought a traditional trap in Mr Bricolage, set it this evening with a small piece of chocolate and within 3 minutes, KAPOW, one ex mouse !

Sounds like some sort of record to me............[:D]