Range Rover TIII MHM

Ernie's link gives a 'timed out' page. Best to go to www.vehiclelicence.gov.uk and select 'vehicle enquiry'. As this one does not exist, it could have been exported and the owner has not completed immatriculation in France. Though I tried two that I had officially exported, and they are still on the database. So the Noel Edmonds theory could be correct.

So, if the site says the registration number doesn't exist, but I know the number did once exist, becasue it was on one of my dad's cars, is there a way of getting DVLA to resurrect it. 

They've dropped the T111 request from the website, so maybe the owner surfaced

I was able, after exporting our car from the UK to France then Gib, to re-register the car on its old plates on our return to the UK.  I was able to do this because I had informed DVLA that the car was exported - not SORN'd or any of the other nonsense we see with cars in France.  Last year on my families return to France the car was put on to its old matriculation plates cos (you've guessed it) I had informed the french authorities that the car had been exported to Gibraltar - re-matriculation took less than 10 minutes.  If you are upfront with authorities at the start of the process it is remarkably simple to sort your vehicle out.

Here endeth the lesson for the sharks out there.

Yes you can Ernie, if it a historic vehicle and this can be done through the various associations for historic vehicles, who attest to the provenance of the vehicle and the original plate.  Of course this can only be done if the registration plate has not been retained or in use by another vehicle

However, if it is a bog standard personal plate then you cannot.  Thankfully we don't have status symbol personal plates in France, here you take the next number on the list. What I can never see with personalised plates especially those that are faked up by bolts and spacings so it says SAM 1 E or NEL LII E is the point because who the hell are Sammie and Nellie anyway,  undertakers from Ilford probably.[:P]

Ron, my wife and I are hairdressers from Ilford. I have a number plate SAMIIE and she has NELLIIE. What prey is wrong with hairdressing (it has made me exceedingly rich), Ilford which has provided the money, and personalised number plates which enable me to show off my new wealth, mine on a Bentley, hers on a Porsche.

Come down my way and we'll do you a freebie.[8-|]

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

Yes you can Ernie, if it a historic vehicle and this can be done through the various associations for historic vehicles, who attest to the provenance of the vehicle and the original plate.  Of course this can only be done if the registration plate has not been retained or in use by another vehicle

However, if it is a bog standard personal plate then you cannot.  Thankfully we don't have status symbol personal plates in France, here you take the next number on the list. What I can never see with personalised plates especially those that are faked up by bolts and spacings so it says SAM 1 E or NEL LII E is the point because who the hell are Sammie and Nellie anyway,  hairderesers from Ilford probably.[:P]

[/quote]Re-issuing to the original vehicle yes of course in the circumstances you describe however what Kevinmc was getting at was could he get the number from his dads old vehicle,  presumably long since returned to nature, re-issued to a different vehicle altogether which I'm sure must be a no-no. Perhaps I should have said re-allocation instead of re-issue [;-)]

Having said that you can indeed transfer a number from one vehicle to another but with certain caveats. i.e. the donor vehicle must not only physically still exist but it must also pass an MOT before you can officially get the number off it, also the number cannot be newer in age than the recipient vehicle so you couldn't for instance put a 1965 C reg plate on a 1960 car.

I actually used to know a guy who supplemented his income by buying up old vehicles with potentially interesting number plates then doing them up sufficiently to pass the MOT purely to strip them of their numbers to sell on. 

I totally agree on the personalised number plates BTW, IMHO it is nothing more than cheesy vanity although what people choose do with their own money is absolutely their own business of course.

Wollybanana - if you did indeed have a Bentley and a Porsche would you really need personalised number plates to advertise your wealth [:)]

I don't need a freebie BTW, I haven't got enough of the stuff left....[:-))]

Yes Debbie Darling, what exactly was it that attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?

(Mrs Merton, alias Caroline Aherne, who even if she hadn't created the Royle Family would have gone down in history for asking that question)

Large comedians seem to have a thing about personal plates. COM 1C belongs to Jimmy Tarbuck. Mike Read (who died recently) had JOK 1E on his Roller. CHU8B belongs not to Roy Chubby Brown, though, but to Chris Tarrant.