Expats...

MrCanary

Mel, I may not share you musical preferences but I am with you 100% on this one. I find it even more hateful when mis-spelled 'ex-patriot' which seems to have died out a bit now but was once rife on here.

I think we are explorers -trying to find out how to live and adjust to another way of life-if you try and integrate then so much the better and you will not be tagged as an expat perhaps.

maybe we need our head examined as to what made the decision to move but it is better than just continuing to live in the U.K. without any changes being made and it can be very interesting although hardto adjust when you leave some family and friends behind.

vive La Differance!!!!!!!!!![:)][:P][:'(][I][:P][:)]

The thing is ex-pat means ex patriotic doesn't it? Does that mean we are no longer Patriotic. I mean why ex-pat. It does conjur up Col Blimps drinking pims etc. I detest the word. I do seem to be able to spot an expat easily.

[quote user="trumpet"]The thing is ex-pat means ex patriotic doesn't it? Does that mean we are no longer Patriotic.[/quote]

No, it doesn't. It means expatriate ie someone living abroad so no longer living in their native country.

Sue

Thank you Sue. Now I see the conection.[quote user="spg"]

[quote user="trumpet"]The thing is ex-pat means ex patriotic doesn't it? Does that mean we are no longer Patriotic.[/quote]

No, it doesn't. It means expatriate ie someone living abroad so no longer living in their native country.

Sue

[/quote]

You could use "NRBs" ie non - resident brits  ( The Indian expats use NRI), but, as the majority of Brits in France are actually resident I dont suppose that would work. I guess Ex-pat is most suitable except for the fact that most of our passports refer to being a European rather than just British, so you cant be an expat either. The most logical term would be "immigrant" which should really upset some people. [:P]

I quite like the sound of 'British'.

For example, a TV news item might begin, "British people living in the Dordogne area of France recently etc., etc........"

Rather than, "Expats living in the Dordogne area of France recently etc., etc......."

Bit radical though isn't it....

Mel

Here in Luxembourg I describe myself as a 'Migrant Worker'   That always gets a reponse from Lux people and they say things like 'No, no, you're not a migrant worker, you have a professional job in an office - migrant workers come from the East and Morocco and pick fruit and things'  I don't see the difference personally.