I wish Wetherspoons would open a bar here!

NormanH

Our local Wetherspoons has an excellent selection of cheap beers, spirits, even wines, maybe not all at 99p per pint, but most well under £1.50 or £2, including Fullers, plus meal deals that compete strongly with the typical 10€ workman's lunch in France (the quality of the beers and food cannot be faulted either).

It's just a pity that it attracts such a dodgy clientele.

In the last few years, whenever I have been is a `spoons in UK, it has been infested with knuckle-dragging thugs and their bright orange perma-tan partners, usually in matching white tracksuits and plenty of cheap gold jewelry on show, with several brat children running round screaming the place down. Its normally a close run thing to see who are swearing most - the parents or the kids.

Its a shame, as the food and drink are cheap and the food is quite acceptable (btw, you do realise that very little "cooking" gets done on-site? most meals are delivered pre-cooked and frozen, just requiring microwaving in the kitchen) but the clientele are usually only one or two steps up the ladder from council-estate dregs, who seem to think that getting drunk and eating a sunday meal there makes them cultured and civilised.

Dave stick to "I'm giving up the gites" your funny on that thread.

Weatherspoons do a ropy burger but most of the other things are very good, especially at the price.

Steaks are cooked on site as is the breakfast.

There are so many of the pubs around London your comment is simply not fair and could well make people un-easy about going in. As with ALL pubs you pick your areas.

Its not humour Teapot, its the facts as I have seen them. I have been in dozens of branches ranging literally from aberdeen to dover and my assesment stands.

A chap I know is a "chef" in one of the aberdeen branches and it was him that told me how they work. Steaks and other things that are cooked to the clients taste are cooked on site, but the majority of the other dishes are microwaved from frozen.   

Last time I drove from aberdeen to france, via dover, I had to endure a meal at one of the aberdeen branches with friends. I had the steak and ale pie. After my drive to dover, I stayed in hotel with a pub nearby - I went in for a meal to find it was another weatherspoons. Not in any mood to find somewhere else, I went in anyway and ordered steak and ale pie. It was IDENTICAL in every respect to the meal served to me the previous night several hundred miles away. They all come from the same central depot. Its not bad food - not at all, but dont be under the impression that its home-made cooking.

Much amused by this thread. Anyone expecting haute cuisine in a Wetherspoons is deluded but I was in one in Newton Abbot in Devon last night. Had a perfectly good sirloin steak cooked to my choice with chips and fresh salad and a pint of Pedigree - all for £5.69. The clientele were pleasant, not stockbroker belt material thank god but honest working people. It was a nice night out and very cheap. There was a 99p pint on - I didn't have it but it wasn't a fizzy 'Worthington' type, it was a decent ale.

I've been in rough pubs all over and they're not restricted to chains. It just depends who is attracted from the local area.

There's another Wetherspoons in Exeter near the Uni and it attracts students unsuprisingly. A different experience altogether but you know what you're getting as soon as you open the door.[:)]

[quote user="dave21478"]

It was IDENTICAL in every respect to the meal served to me the previous night several hundred miles away. They all come from the same central depot. Its not bad food - not at all, but dont be under the impression that its home-made cooking.

[/quote]

The two main foodservice wholesale distributors in the UK are Brakes and 3663 (useless fact - dial FOOD on an old fashioned telephone) so you can be fairly sure that if you see one of their trucks (and they are quite common) outside your local pub/restaurant, the menu will probably be from their fairly extensive lists - apparently lamb shank was very popular last year and was widely available on menus throughout the UK.

Will agree about the Wetherspoons in Exeter - several years ago I used to pop into the Imperial (near the Uni) for a decent pint after OU tutorials (before heading to the Great Western Hotel and the train home), if only also to admire the architecture of the Orangerie. I guess that like all large chains the larger the enterprise the more difficult to maintain standards - in the early days in London many of the original Wetherspoons were (such as the George in Wanstead) a breath of fresh air for people looking for a decent pint of real ale.

In France I always choose Jenlain or Goudale for value for money, otherwise it's Trois Monts or Angelus for a really decent beer. There are literally dozens of small artisanale breweries throughout France but unfortunately the beer is usually pricey and the quality variable.

Brian (again)

« la bière c’est de l’amitié liquide » - Ronny Coutteure

Well, my experience of my local Wetherspoons is different.

Firstly though, the method of supply of food is known as cook chill. The advantages are that the outlet does not require preparation and vast cooking areas just a means of heating the food. They therefore require less staff, quality has more consistency and it can also help them in portion control. If you want to pay a lot of money for food then they might prepare it all on the premises but I suspect some still use cook chill for some of the food. If you are paying relatively low prices then cook chill is the way to go.

I have a number of Wetherspoons near me. The one in the town does not come with the dregs of society and normally there are ordinary people in there taking advantage of the various meal offers - for example, Curry night, samosas, onion bargees (? sp) popadoms, nan bread, rice, bombay potato and two main dishes plus two pints for £15 for two people. As for service, nothing wrong with that.

I do also have some other 'local ones'. They are located after security at Gatwick airport. I will admit the the North Terminal one is better than the South Terminal ones. However, compared to the other food outlets they represent excellent value for money.

Paul

[quote user="brianagain"][quote user="dave21478"]

It was IDENTICAL in every respect to the meal served to me the previous night several hundred miles away. They all come from the same central depot. Its not bad food - not at all, but dont be under the impression that its home-made cooking.

[/quote]
The two main foodservice wholesale distributors in the UK are Brakes and 3663 (useless fact - dial FOOD on an old fashioned telephone) so you can be fairly sure that if you see one of their trucks (and they are quite common) outside your local pub/restaurant, the menu will probably be from their fairly extensive lists - apparently lamb shank was very popular last year and was widely available on menus throughout the UK.

Will agree about the Wetherspoons in Exeter - several years ago I used to pop into the Imperial (near the Uni) for a decent pint after OU tutorials (before heading to the Great Western Hotel and the train home), if only also to admire the architecture of the Orangerie. I guess that like all large chains the larger the enterprise the more difficult to maintain standards - in the early days in London many of the original Wetherspoons were (such as the George in Wanstead) a breath of fresh air for people looking for a decent pint of real ale.

In France I always choose Jenlain or Goudale for value for money, otherwise it's Trois Monts or Angelus for a really decent beer. There are literally dozens of small artisanale breweries throughout France but unfortunately the beer is usually pricey and the quality variable.

Brian (again)
« la bière c’est de l’amitié liquide » - Ronny Coutteure
[/quote]

I agree about the one in Wanstead, once I lived very near to the pub for a few years, it use to be my first pub before getting the bus to go to Stratford. Last year used it a lot as I was on jury service nearby. The others have been a mixed bunch, nearest, The Walnut tree, fine but will not have food there. Was in Bridport last week, that was also fine, some of the customers were a bit 'iffy' but its a pub, food was ok/good and that was a steak pie. Beer was great, so was the cider but there was not enough variety. Having said that, will always use them, you get what you pay for.