Re: Accents!

Weedon

Was having a chat with a mate of mine recently about some quite important stuff, stuff like which sock do you put on first and which leg do you shove in your PJs first and doesn't it feel strange if you try the wrong one first!  The chat got around to accents and me being a very tolerant person was shocked when he said that he found Belfast accents irritating.  In an off-guard moment I said (regretted now) that I thought Wolverhampton accents were more irritating, regretted now because I think Lloyd Grossman or Brian Sewell are even more irritating.

Who do you think was right, me or my mate?

I used to find a Brummie accent irritating until I met a lovely, lovely man who spoke broad Brummie and, after that, I found it quite charming!

Strange, but I do think it's like people's names:  if you know an irritating Irene who used to annoy you like hell, you have a job with all Irenes afterwards?[8-)]

Due to the nature of my job I probably come into close contact with more dialects than the average person. At any given moment I can be working with English, Welsh, Irish (N & S), West Countrymen, Brummies, Geordies, Scousers, and Jocks, to mention but a few, and I think it's true to say that, for the most part people seem to fit quite well into their popular stereotypes.

It would be indelicate of me to reveal which of the aforementioned I find the most consistently irritating, it's North of the Watford Gap is all I'll say [Www]

AnOther - don't West Countrymen, Brummies and Scousers count as English ? The sweetest accent I've ever heard is in that little bit of northern England where the A68 crosses into Scotland. I love Geordie too. The one I dislike most is that awful gangster/rap/innit one that is prevalent in some parts of London.

Hoddy

I hate lazy accents - in particular Estuary English.  I still can't get my head around folk who can speak using no consonants whatsoever!

I don't mind Brummie - at least it's clear and easy to understand.  But Geordie is best, imo, as it reminds me of the good times of my childhood, and all the people I loved the most (me da' and his family).[:)]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I still find Brummie annoying.

Geordie is immensely irritating too.

[/quote]

Two of the finest accents in the whole of England and far, far more interesting to listen to than that false, 'posh' plum in the mouth featureless southern eastern cr*p.

I take it you're either a Brummie or a Geordie then Bugbear? :)

Don't get me wrong, I love the different accents in the UK, I find it amazing how it changes so dramatically in such a tiny country as England. It's amazing how people outside the country even struggle to understand certain accents. I've shown several Americans and Australians clips of The Royle family, and they can't understand a word of it!

But those two accents do grind on me I'm afraid. Sorry.

I agree southern accents are bland and boring, it's my accent after all, although it's not plum in the mouth, more your cockney type speak I guess.

However I have met a certain American lady who is enamored and in love with my accent, and I for one am not complaining about that! :)

[quote user="Hoddy"]AnOther - don't West Countrymen, Brummies and Scousers count as English ? The sweetest accent I've ever heard is in that little bit of northern England where the A68 crosses into Scotland. I love Geordie too. The one I dislike most is that awful gangster/rap/innit one that is prevalent in some parts of London.

Hoddy[/quote]

I wouldn't say that's an accent, more like poor education. I can't stand that too, but I'm thankful the only time I hear it is only on tv.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]  I find it amazing how it changes so dramatically in such a tiny country as England. VERY TRUE !! 

It's amazing how people outside the country even struggle to understand certain accents. OH YESSSS .. I for one find it difficult to understand a cockney accent ... scouse is OK, as I'm used to it.[/quote]

An associate of mine, can't call her a friend coz she's Scottish, tells me that she has never heard any Scottish person in her life say "Och aye the noo". I told her not to be so silly, of course they do.

Whenever I speak to my neighbours, trying to convert them to speaking English, the English words I teach them always sound cockney when they repeat them...dunno why!

Years ago I recall Janice on Juke Box Jury saying "I'll give it foive".  It never used to bug me then, I'm sure it would now.

Seems quite clear to me laddie, have a listen to  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMnKPnPhhYw&feature=related ......JR

Or that doure and deadly Duke, bonny laddie, highland laddie,
Scatt’ring Frenchmen wi’ his look, bonny laddie, highland laddie?
Some say he the day may rue, bonny laddie, highland laddie,
Ye can tell gin this be true, bonny laddie, highland laddie.....or..... Ah youse lookin at me Jimmy!

Can you understand this?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khrpy4V0-U4&feature=related

I switched on the TV on returning late last night in the middle of an interesting programme about customer service centers of big compnies being more intersted in making added value sales than resolving problems, sorry I should add that this was on French TV.

Anyway I was really struggling to understand the thick accents, even the presenters! They sounded like the south coast with lots of biengs etc but it sounded like everyone was an immigrant from another country speaking in a second language, rather like me I guess!

I realy was struggling to follow what was being said and was surprised because French Tv usually sub-titles any speech by non native speakers even if they are from the Dom toms and/or are speaking perfectly understandable albeit accented French.

Then the penny dropped it was a French Canadian programme.

Now that is an mispronunced accent and  that really makes me grate and yet I like all other French regional and overseas accents, those that I have heard to date of course.

Do some French accents grate on you? What about you native French?

Interesting you say that Chancer, I can now distinguish Canadian French from "proper" French accent now.

Had some French friends over at xmas and a Canadian programme came on and I could hear my friend taking the micky out of the accent, and it sounded strangely American!

Also, is it true Canadian French do not allow any English words to infiltrate their language unlike the French?

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]I take it you're either a Brummie or a Geordie then Bugbear? :) [/quote]

Lets just say where I come from Bus is pronounced with a 'z', there is no 'r' in Bath and a Raincoat is a 'Mack'. [:P][:D]

[/quote]

Would that be the Balckburn area then?

I have a BiL from Corsica, of whom I can't understand one word.

And (I hope she doesn't see this), my wife speaking English grates on my English ears.

On differing accents, after a few months in Barcelona I started to realise Juan Carlos had the Castillano equivalent of Phil Mitchell's accent. Most bizarre, but probably explained by him not living in Spain for the first 30 years or so of his life.