Re: Digger ?

Russethouse

I think that I would cry! Its all of a piece with wanting to apologise for things that happened years ago-as if we personally are responsible for the acts. There were Americans that flew with the Dambusters and they didn't find it offensive. I understand the word n****r is used by black people to each other so why the double standards? I hate that people feel the need to rewrite history because it doesn't fit in with the PC culture of today.Which bit of history will be next I wonder?

Does it really matter what the dog was called? The term is now deemed offensive to black people. I don't understand why they use it to each other though, but they do.

And I can't really think of many movies where history has been portrayed accurately in film anyway, so this really isn't a big deal imo. Look at Braveheart and how inaccurate that was for example.

Does the name of the dog alter the story in any way? No, I don't think it does.

From Dictionary.com:

nig·ger   

[nig-er] Show IPA

—Usage note

The term nigger is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. Definitions 1a, 1b, and 2 represent meanings that are deeply disparaging and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. Definition 1a, however, is sometimes used among African-Americans in a neutral or familiar way. Definition 3 is not normally considered disparaging—as in “The Irish are the niggers of Europe” from Roddy Doyle's The Commitments —but the other uses are considered contemptuous and hostile.

–noun

Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive . a.

a black person.

b.

a member of any dark-skinned people.

a.

a black person.

b.

a member of any dark-skinned people.

Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive . a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.

a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.

I think they are wise to change the dog's name. Could always watch the History Channel if you want more accuracy. But it's just a movie. Entertainment.

I can't say it bothers me what they call a dog in a film.

But I have noticed that American productions often have people referring to "coons", which I gather is an alternative for racoons. It doesn't seem to stop British TV or cinemas showing them, despite the word being considered offensive in the UK. Presumably, American opinion is more important than British.

The main reason to make a movie is to make money. If you alienate much of your audience with certain words, then you are going to make less money. This particular word is very bad right now.

Plus America has a very dirty history regarding the blacks and slavery, their civil war was the result of it.

Does anyone use the word coon nowadays? Not heard that term in years.

It’s a little ironic at one time one could use the N word but the F word was considered extremely offensive. Now it seems to me that the F word is nearly obligatory but the N word is considered offensive.

Maybe in 20 years time it will flip back again.

I lived near RAF Scampton and in 1963 found the stolen Officers Mess silver that had been hidden in a forest.

But I wander from the post, I bet with such a screen writer there will be a homosexulist content in the new film.

Rewriting history is dangerous, and today the BBC for instance always has presenters of every age, ethnicity, colour without regard to demographics or programme content.

Will the anglo name for William the Conqueror be changed to William the Bathsteward?

And what about the C word????????????? 

The F word is now acceptable, Mr Ramsey saw to that, no sooner did this happen and a whole section of society had to find a new word to throw their hands in the air over it's mention and refuse to speak to me in disgust at lol[6].

Seriously, they are words, it's not like any one is getting slapped or having poo rubbed in their faeces, oops, sorry faces lol.

Wow – what a brilliant idea. Rubbing poo in the faces of the holier than thou, liberal lefty middle classes just brings a smile to my face at the very thought of it.

But of course they will not find it OFFENSIVE as it is only other peoples words and opinions which are offensive.

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]History is being rewritten all the time. It's a very subjective subject once you start wandering from the key facts. But if you're relying on the movies to teach you history, you might as well believe what the Daily Mail publishes.[/quote]

..... And I suppose an American invented bouncing bombs and they were tested on Lake Eerie  [Www]

I believe that  in the far and distant past slaves that arrived in the Carolinas mostly came from the Niger river delta .  I have always believed the N word related to the slaves that came from that part of Africa .   In those days they  were called " Nigers  " as I suspect no body could pronounce their tribal  names even if they were inclined to want to try .