D'you know what, it's a big ask.

Weedon

Please help me.  I now find myself watching my English television programmes waiting for people to say D'you know what and It's a big ask. 

D'you know what? I don't have to wait long and those particular expressions keep coming bam..bam.. again and again, it's driving me to drink.

Don't tell me to watch French Television cos that's a big ask.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole lot sounds bruddy awful.

I grew up in North Norfolk but my family all came from Richmond and Barnes and my Mum spent my entire childhood 'correcting' my spoken English, by God she was severe!  By right's I should be talking like a Carrot Cruncher, but thanks to Mum, nope! However, I really don't like the way the English language seems to be evolving, we find ourselves correcting our two boys constantly now...'nuff said!

[quote user="Meg and Mog"]'whatever'!

'Loser'!
Works well with finger and thumb making an L on your forehead.
[/quote]

Damn! I hadn't heard of that one but I have taken it on board and shall use it whenever I can.  That girl on the checkout in Carrefour, the one who makes all my stuff pile up cos I'm too slow to pack, will get one for sure, lessons will be learnt. 

If I do an L with finger and thumb will she give me a P back?

You can go on and on about the use of  English language but one of my real pet hates is something my son said the other day when he phoned home,"just thought I would call to touch base", I nearly threw up, he has had a country upbringing and now works in the city, he is only twenty and probably picked it up from  a fellow broker, I soon put him right, and said we still use normal language in the provinces, ofcourse, he just replied , "whatever" Ugh .