email sign off ?

Russethouse

I usually just sign off my emails with 'Best' and my name, ( business contacts get 'Best Regards') but now I have read this I am a little perplexed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/26/fashion/26email.html?ex=1165208400&en=d68530dc54dccb41&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Many of my emails are to Americans with an interest in France, anyone got any ideas as to something acceptable and pleasant ?

With best wishes... /  My best wishes...  is reasonably warm without getting cuddly.[:D] I always think Best regards, is a bit formal so fine for business-like emails. "Best"... I do sometimes use best but it never feels right. It always feels a bit sloppy casual rather than smart casual. So I usually try to say something relevant relating to the recipient's situation or maybe to seeing or hearing from the them. Such as...

Good luck with your cogitations, RH.

With best wishes,

Catalpa

[kiss] (optional!)

Or, for Americans with an interest in France:

Cordialement. 

Would that work?

[quote user="Owens88"]

But do people use salutations to start an e-mail ?[/quote]

For me, it varies. Hello or Hi with or without the person's name is my usual choice. Sometimes just the person's name. Sometimes no salutation but that's usually when there's a back-and-forth type of email "conversation" going on.

I have a personal (and irrational) dislike of the use of Dear as in Dear Catalpa in an email. If something is so formal as to need a Dear at the beginning, type a letter. [6]

I did say it was irrational. [:P]

I ALWAYS start with Hello or hi and the person's name.

I almost always end with regards, or kind regards, or many thanks, or similar.

I've done this ever since reading a website whose owner stated that he would NOT respond to e-mails without a proper beginning or ending, as he found it rude. Fair enough, I thought.

If I'm emailing for business (especially someone I don't know), I start with "Dear ..." and end with "Yours truly" just as I would a regular letter.

For emails to people I know fairly well, I usually start with "Hi, ..." and end with my name (or first-name initial, if I know them really well) . after a "hope to see you soon" type of sentence.

With really close friends and family, emails often evolve/devolve into continuing conversations, with no greetings or signoffs.

Hi guys

Being a techie (nerd if you prefer) I was involved with one of the first companies to market the Internet to the masses back in 1990. We marketed Email as a communication medium with very important advantages over normal mail and over telephone calls. One of the advantages of the message systems over letter mail was that, in an email message, one could write tersely and type imperfectly, even to an older person in a superior position and even to a person you did not know very well, and the recipient took no offence. The formality and perfection that most people expect in a typed letter did not become associated with email messages, probably because the internet was so much faster, so much more like the telephone. How thing have changed[:)]

Andy

Find a 10 year old to do anything like that for you ! Nothing is impossible for school kids, not even plug and play video recorders !!

My Daughter even showed me that I could record a message and send it with a film to another persons phone and whatever else she told me I can do (I forgot it all when she went home !) I've only had this phone since July.........................[:)]