My new baby!

Chris Head

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="WJT"]

Bugbear, your comment may have been tongue and cheek, I don't know. But I find the statement offensive. It seems to be used here quite often to describe kind, gentle, civilised people and behaviour. I have never hugged a tree but I would be proud to be called this to be differentiated by the certain individuals here that like to use it.

[:@][/quote]

WJT, you have misunderstood what I said....................... I'm proud to be called a 'Tree Hugger'. it's one of the nicer titles to have bestowed on you.

The point I was making is that in todays society everyone gets given a name if they have an opposing view. Like, Racist, Homophobe, Animal Liberationalist, Left wing, Right Wing etc etc. 

Hope this clarifies what I was trying to say.

Bugbear, I thought that was what you meant but wasn't sure. I have seen your photo and to me there is nothing more appealing and attractive than a very manly masculine man that is kind, gentle and civilised [:)], to me this is a real man. One that has the desire to protect and care for women, children and animals.

You are right Christine, I do think this term is used to provoke. Even some very uncivilised men around here including the local hardened farmers in our part of rural France, don't talk about such things. But then again some men (perhaps woman too [:)]) feel they must prove something. [;-)] Tree huggers unite. [:D]

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/lavande/Tree.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/lavande/Tree.jpg[/IMG]

OK, I promise to give the trees a hug just before I butcher them[:D] I'd try and give the ram a hug but that wouldn't be too sensible, I wonder if the babies will hold it against me?

I'm a hunter gatherer type, I'm neither proud nor not proud of it, I'm just me, it's the way I was born. My sister in law likens me to a cross between new and neanderthal man! Fair enough.

Humans grow and harvest all sorts of things for use and consumption, including trees and animals, I don't see much difference between taking the life of a tree and taking the life of an animal, at least it's honest.

Of course everybody has an opinion, we may not all agree or live the same lifestyle, that's what makes it all so interesting eh? I completely understand the opposing point of views by the way.

Edit; Missy you're hired, grab yer coat and get on over here!

Chris,

I thought I would post this to see the reaction.

When you use the .22, put a tiny nick in the nose of the round, it should create a dum-dum effect which will make the kill more certain and certainly instant and cut down the risk of extended pain to the animal.

Alternatively, use a hollow point round if you can get one.

.22 velocity is a tad fast for the job, a bigger, slower bullet is better.

One or two things to bear in mind, Chris. How will you move him when he’s dead ? You may decide to gut him where you kill him and bury the unwanted bits there; it would make transportation easier.

You may want to keep at least the liver, kidneys and, thinking about another thread on the forum at the moment, the suet. It’s very good for making bird balls even if you don’t want it for your own use.

You will need some sort of hook which is strong enough to hang the carcass on and plenty of water for washing once you’ve skinned it. While the carcass is hanging you’ll need to mak sure that it’s not vulnerable to scavengers or flies.

You could use the time that it is hanging to make a close study of local butchers and supermarkets to see how to cut it.

I’m still uneasy about you killing him yourself.

Hoddy

This is so funny!

Yesterday a friend of mine - Phil popped in for a cuppa and was telling us about the lovely long walks he takes at least 4 times a week in the surrounding countryside.  He told us that whenever he feels stressed out he hugs a big oak tree.  He and my husband started chatting away about the benefits of hugging a tree and how much better they feel afterwards.  I suggested that it wasn't very fair on the tree to unload all of their stress into it and they very matter of factly told me that the tree eliminates it.  Is this true?

They both went for a walk then and I was here decorating the Christmas tree giggling to myself at images of the pair of them hugging a big tree,  while a french paysan drove past in his tractor wondering if he maybe overdid it on the Pastis at lunch-time[:-))]

Bah - Ram - Ewe,
Bah - Ram - Ewe.

Just a little spell I know for communicating with sheep and the like - you may need it Chris[:)]

[quote user="Chris Head"]A butcher isn't an option to me Hoddy,I can't afford it. I need to learn the butchery skills myself...[/quote]

I think you should listen to Hoddy, Chris. I don't think you can 'teach yourself butchery' and expect to get edible meat and decent cuts the first time you do it.

You stand a chance of  making a real mess of it, unless you get someone in who has the necessary gear and knows what order to do everything in, and how to cut the carcass up, who will explain as s/he goes.

Chris, I've just checked and here in the UK I could get a sheep slaughtered, butchered into appropriate pieces and bagged by a professional for £15.

It might be worth checking if such a service is available near you. It would save you such a lot of trouble.

Hoddy

Chris there is an option here that your not considering RENT A RAM people with big flocks dont even keep them because they are a nuisance one member said , so how about renting him out as a stud , which would mean he was away more than at home , he would be a happier ram as he would be to knackered to cause any trouble, and I cant believe a man with the skills you have in wood cant make a strong fence to pen him in kids out. and he would be bringing in a wage . Why kill him for a scrag end bit of meat. He could be sitting on a fortune if you will forgive the pun.......................[:D]SAVE THE RAM 

Edit: Can we see a picture of this big ram bet hes a pussy cat really ...................[Www]

get him working and he will be bowing at your feet thanking you not butting you

Hoddy, I'll kill & clean him in the field, borrow a tractor from my neighbour and hang him from the forks (a la pig piccy) then wash the carcass down at our source, which has a hosepipe plumbed into it. It'll then go into the cellar and be cut up there. I'm quite determined to learn how, I like meat, grow the animals and want to complete the cycle, in truth, it's not about saving a few euros to pay someone else to do it it's about learning.

We have three ewes, I suspect the other two are pregnant also, once they've given birth and the lambs are self sufficient I'll dispatch those as well,  leaving the older ewe and keeping the two lambs for breeding. I've got to manage the numbers because we just don't have enough grass for them all, and we want the meat.

Penning the ram in isn't really fair on him, he's dangerous and has to go. Renting him out DT? I think the locals would wet their underwear if I suggested that one!

I agree a .22 round is perhaps a little fast Steve, yes I'll be doctoring it.

Sure I might make mistakes Tresc, but it's a good way to learn. We've got quite detailed diagrams which should help.

I'll risk it again to go and get a piccy of him! See what I do for you lot![Www]

Chris Head

"like meat, grow the animals and want to complete the cycle, in truth, it's not about saving a few euros to pay someone else to do it it's about learning."

Chris this is an admirable aim. May I suggest that you start in a different place ?

Because of the mistakes you've already made, you have two cade lambs in November, two ewes still pregnant and a ram who is simply a nuisance.

It's true that you need to learn. May I suggest that you find out how to raise them properly in the first place so that you don't give yourself unnecessary problems in the future?

Hoddy

Point taken Hoddy, we only got them to cut the grass! Obviously you're experienced, you make me feel like a naughty schoolkid[:(]!

This is the chap himself.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/chrishead/DSC01288.jpg[/IMG]

It was taken on maximum zoom hence the poor quality.

I take Hoddy's point entirely.  Whereas practicing the post-mortem butchery seems perfectly OK to me - whether you manage to do this or not will affect only you; even I (who will eat anything that has walked, swum or flown) am a bit concerned for the beast at the idea of your "learning" slaughter techniques on him.  I know you have to start somewhere, but I have two good friends who are vets and have been unfortunate enough to have had to make the acquaintance of several slaughtermen over the years.  They certainly do not just jump in with both feet and try for the first time on a recalcitrant ram!  It takes a lot of practice and learning, they watch and learn from experts before practicing on "dummies"; moving on to easy to handle animals who are properly contained in a "crush" - before they ever contemplate trying what you propose.  With all due respect to your abilities in using a gun, I do fear a bit for this poor beast.  Why not have a word with a local (certainly round here there are plenty of farmers and other individuals who have learnt how to slaughter animals from a young age, from those who knew what they were about) and get one of them to do it for you?

Arrh and your scared of that little ball of wool, I thought it would have 4 horns the way you went on, cor I use to have to tackle a much larger Irate male  goat with horns , so I could milk his wife when I was just 15. with out any trouble , you just need a firm hand chris[:D]   

I understand your concerns Coops, but he'll be isolated and in a small space. I do have the ability to put a round where I want it from point blank range.

The locals don't shoot sheep. They pin them down on the floor, stretch the neck, cut the jugular and break the neck.

Erm DT, he's a lunatic, most definately pyscotic. He's powerful as well, my ribs still haven't quite recovered from the last episode...and the farmers still taking the pee too!