Where are you spending Christmas?

Unknown

For those of you that have property in France but live else where, are you spending the festive period in France or stopping at home?

For those of you like me that live in France all the time, how will you be spending Christmas?

For me, its a family affair based on a traditional British Christmas.

We are off as usual to the UK for a proper Xmas.

We once used to have one year in the UK and the next in France but that soon made little sense, as it is all over and done here before you have even downed your first glass. Warm snug pubs, hot fire, get back to see all the family and friends, lots of cracks, too much of everything and this year, a special reason for some of us to have a bit of a do . Mind you, when we get back, we fancy a holiday to get over it all [;-)]

[quote user="Dotty "]

For those of you like me that live in France all the time, how will you be spending Christmas?

[/quote]

Flying back to SIL & BIL's place for full family bash.  Happily, most of the pressies bought on the internet for UK delivery, except that some thieving *******s stole a couple of the things from their house a couple of weeks ago - hopefully now replaced. 

Meeting elder son's future in-laws for the 1st time at an Indian restaurant on the 27th.   Hmmmmm .........

Must admit that our neighbour's spit-roasted agneau sounds pretty good - wonder if it'll still be alright when we get back ..........? 

Hi Dotty,

For twelve or thirteen years we have had Christmas with family, either going to them, or for the past seven years or at least since our children arrived, coming to us. We moved to France this year, in July and this is to be our first Christmas at home in France. It will be the children and us. It seems strange to think that we will be on our own. On the 23rd December our girls are singing in the square in Monflanquin with other children from the village, French and English. We are looking forward to that.  Christmas dinner will be turkey, our first for years. A locally grown organic one. We normally have a capon, but found they were very expensive. Wondering at the moment where I can get my sausagemeat for the stuffing!

Following lunch we plan to go for a walk and feed the horses and ponies from our local riding school, also the ducks on the lake. Hopefully we'll see some of our French neighbours while we are out and will exchange pleasantaries.

No plans as yet for Boxing Day.

Merry Christmas to all.

The Bradford's

No, we will still be in Wales this year on Boxing Day ( but my bet is in place already !) and I won't even be able to make the meeting on the 27th either, as we will be in the Forest of Dean with some friends. I am hoping that Tina is not in need of anything in the sales but fear I am only dreaming and staying in Sunbury from the 28th, means Kingston is but a hop and spit away!

We are going to a mysterious and magical far off place, where the Leprechauns run free and the potatoes live in the wild as nature intended.

Remember the other day, I was after telling you about me dream that involved me dancing with a fat wombat? and that cute little curly headed Will lad said things about his first wife? Well, Eddy Flannigan was after telling me that there is going to be the first annual Bi-lingual Marsupial 70's disco in Dublin on boxing day! Well, we are looking forward to that! Me aunty Alice is making me and Gabriel a Kangaroo outfit and Josephine is bringing her own Koala suit that she wears for work. So it could be that me dream comes true! That Will lad is so cute with his little curly head and his little curly feet, he should call himself 'Little Curly Willy'.

Gabriel (me delicate cousin) has developed a new range of frozen curtains to be sold in freezer shops! he thinks it is a good idea to be able to buy your curtains with your turkey burgers and chickens beaks, it is a new dimension in convenience shopping! I hope it will be a success for him!

Well, I hope all the lovely forum creatures, and all the creatures of the world, have a grand Christmas! And may all their hopes and dreams be realised.

[kiss]

Just the two of us on Christmas day here in Sharjah. Barbecue on Christmas Eve with a few friends and neighbours. Go to work Christmas morning and wish all the Muslims and Contractors Happy Christmas, (if any are at work!) then early finish and have poached eggs, ham and champagne for a late breakfast cum lunch. Christmas dinner at about 1900 ( we cracked-decided to have turkey after all). Lots of phone calls to the children / grandchildren in UK.

Boxing day, back to work and plan for next year.  Pretty boring - non.

With my outlaws here in Wales![:(]! 20 of them at the table....

At least I've made sure that there will be enough champagne for me [6] from the moment I wake up to moment I go to bed....

Then New Year hopefully in London with my sister, if she manages to get out of bed and get on the train from Niort! if not with my daughter in Canterbury [:D]

Joyeux Noël à tous et toutes [:D]

Here in France, just the two of us. 

Scrambled eggs, smoked salmon and champagne for breakfast. 

Croissant and pain au chocolat fattened duck for Xmas lunch with traditional trimmings of some sort of stuffing ( a secret I'm not allowed into), roasties and veg a-go-go.  Xmas pud.   Perhaps a small glass of wine if Jude insists.

Depending on the weather  a walk in the forest or a snooze in the afternoon.

Christmas will be spent here in Cornwall for us (due to my work/dogs, we wont have time to get to france) But we will be snug and warm here with lots of food and naughty pop. Its a day just for the 2 of us as we dont see much of each other all year. But I have big plans to spend next year in our house in france with my brother and wife.

Hope whatever the rest of you are doing you do it safely.......................wishing you all a lovely christmas and a happy new year[:D]

Well it starts tomorrow evening with first party with some friends for buffet and drinks. Saturday recharge batteries before Christmas Eve party with French friends in Montguyon so will be about  a 2.00 am finish. Dogs will get us up at 8.00 on Christmas day for their presents, I'll then feed the horses and the chickens, we are due for Christmas Day lunch with our french neighbours so might be back for tea!! Quiet week before we have our 2 neighbours and families round for an English Xmas meal with the Turkey etc.  Not thought about New Year yet.

Will need to get some tennis played to work off the excess!!

Hope everyone has an enjoyable Christmas and a Very Prosperous New Year

David J

"On The Ball"

It's alright for some, planning to spend Christmas under the table. For me, it will probably be in bed. I have tracheitis, terrible dry hacking cough at night all night, just went to see my GP and....she is just coming down with it too.  I would like to be able to sleep standing up, can't be bothered with even thinking about shopping... Luckily there is OH, still corpus mentis, who has carte blanche to go to supermarket and do his stuff , and THAT should be interesting!!!

I am also aware that people who answer this thread must have good reasons to look forward to various festivities for Christmas. There must be some who don't have much to look forward to, and presumably they are too depressed to post about this!)[:(]

5-element

you have my sympathy and i am also a fellow sufferer.  won't go into all the details but it's a sad time of year for me too.  but, for a change, instead of my usual asthma and chest infection fit to kill me, i have a stomach bug!  lucky or what!

have had to cancel/beg off lots of stuff; mainly because i can't face it.

look after yourself and i will try to do likewise.

will be glad when it's all over and i can nurse my misery in isolation and not have to put any sort of brave face on anything

Thanks for sympathy sweet 17 - I am sorry that you are under the weather too, but the French TV news were saying we are just reaching a peak of the yearly gastro-enteritis epidemic? They are keen to point out that it is not the same as "indigestion" due to overindulgence, and this is a bug ("la gastro") which this year is  very virulent but short-lived (2 days, 3 max). I hope your Christmas is much better than you anticipate.

I had 2 invites on Xmas Eve, unlikely now. Then Xmas day I was looking forward to going to the cinema to see "Azur et Asmar" in the afternoon, the kids' performance. Maybe all will be well by then. In any case, it's not the end of the world.

Mark - don't be too quick to experience Catholic guilt, there are still over 2 days to go, anything can happen and you might get tracheitis too, which would be a waste of guilt! But maybe maybe there is no epidemic in your part of France.