Tablecloths.......

Meg

It has just occurred to me that I don't own one. What are they actually for??

1) To keep the table clean??.............why not just wipe the table afterwards instead of washing a cloth??

2) To look pretty??........ get a nicer table?

3) Because the table is dirty??...ummmmm clean it?

The French seem to favor these patterned, cut to size off the roll, wipe clean ones................

So how many have you got? And why?? And should i buy one??

[:)]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do use the paper ones on a roll when we have lots of us around the table. We do seem to be very messy for some reason.  After the meal, it's just screwed up and either burnt or chucked on the compost.  I don't use any others, although I do have one I was given - not sure where it is.

1) To keep the table clean??.............why not just wipe the table afterwards instead of washing a cloth??

Well if you have a wooden table the cloth  helps to protect the surface and keep the polish looking good.

2) To look pretty??........ get a nicer table?

Yes, it is a way of making the the table look presentable and can complement your china etc..

3) Because the table is dirty??...ummmmm clean it?

A  cloth will hide an old table and no one will notice the scratches. I don't think a cloth is for hiding the dirt...........well not in my house it isn't!

So how many have you got?

I use a "cut off the roll" cloth on my garden table in France (and also in U.K.). I have some checked table cloths for my big / old Fr. kitchen table. These were an excellent buy from a charity shop. I also have a length of clear plastic "cloth" (off the roll) and this can be used on top of a good cloth, saves any worries of red wine / tomato sauce etc. being spilt and spoiling a good cloth!

Of course you could just buy yourself a nice table with a formica top and be done with it![;-)]

The choice is yours![8-|]

The French habit of eating their bread on the table surface probably has something to do with the platic table cloth philosophy.  More hygenic than wood, even if the latter is clean.  Who wants Pledge on their bread?[:)]

I have a pretty ancient table which isn't very beautiful and I have a large oilcloth on it which is great for every day and easy to keep clean.  I do replace it with a nice linen one for special occasions.  But then, I am probably the least house proud person you are likely to meet so idleness has a lot to do with it!

Dull women have tidy homes.

[quote user="cooperlola"]I am probably the least house proud person you are likely to meet...[/quote]

I'll fight you for that title! [:)]

[quote]Dull women have tidy homes.[/quote]

Exactly! and the earth never stopped moving because I didn't use the sweep or hoover the floor...

Indoors I have a large wooden table which I don't want spoiled, so I use a plastic off the roll cloth. I draw the line at washing and ironing a 'proper' one.

Outdoors we have a plastic table so no cloth.

I also keep a piece of plastic roll table cloth for picnics.

I chose these because they seem the easiest most practical options. The plastic roll is a blue and white check. Not Homes & Gardens, but quite jolly I think.

Hoddy

I did buy a pretty proper tablecloth for a gite Christmas booking we had a couple of years ago. I thought it would be more festive when laid out with candles and with the Christmas decorations in the room.

It's been put away and has not seen the light of day since...

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

Of course you could just buy yourself a nice table with a formica top and be done with it![;-)]

[/quote]

We have one of those, my housewify skills must be the worst ever 'cos i cleaned up a spillage and used one of those sponges with a rough side to it........one scratched table, so yes I have a plastic tablecloth........which now needs replacing since no 1 daughter removed her nailvarnish on it and the remover also removes some of the patern[blink]

When i get the mop or brush out Mr O asks if i have water in the bucket and tells me which end to use[:-))]

"I do use the paper ones on a roll when we have lots of us around the table."

Pierre

At Christmas (in England) we use the posher version of this, the paper cloths that the supermarkets sell. I find it save the washing and still looks presentable.

Blanche neige

Who certainly does not fall into the "tidy homes" category![:)] but sometimes likes to make the effort for visitors.

We have a right collection of tableclothes![:$] Embroidered for special occasions & material stainproof for everyday use & underneath we have a padded table protector. Why? Well it saves polishing the table doesn't it??[;-)]

So, am i the only one who doesn't own one...........[8-)]

I have 2 wooden tables inside, the kitchen table is pine and doubles as a work surface so gets a good scrub as it's unvarnished, but gets waxed occasionally, the dining table gets cleaned with furniture polish. Wiping the tables probably takes less time than putting on and taking off a cloth. Also we never spill any wine........[:D]

Years ago, friends laid a row of potatoes in the dust, soil and dog hairs along the skirting boards of our kitchen in England. They wanted to see a) if we'd notice and b) whether they'd invented a whole new way of getting an early crop of spuds. [:P]

But I do have tablecloths... some of which are heavy white cotton damask... and I use them. [:-))] On the table, even!

[quote user="catalpa"]Years ago, friends laid a row of potatoes in the dust, soil and dog hairs along the skirting boards of our kitchen in England. They wanted to see a) if we'd notice and b) whether they'd invented a whole new way of getting an early crop of spuds. [:P][/quote]

OK! I know when I'm beaten! [:P]

I withdraw my challenge!

[quote user="catalpa"]Years ago, friends laid a row of potatoes in the dust, soil and dog hairs along the skirting boards of our kitchen in England. They wanted to see a) if we'd notice and b) whether they'd invented a whole new way of getting an early crop of spuds. [:P][/quote]

[:D]

I considered letting my floors go long enough to see whether the mixture of cat hair and soil would 'knit' into a kind of organic felted carpet. It certainly restricted the scudding across the floor (at high speeds) of a pre-toddler last year: So much so she stood up and walked for the first time.[:D]

I've got some proper tablecloths but they are all ruined, one way or another, and so's the table.

I give up.[:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="opas"]

When i get the mop or brush out Mr O asks if i have water in the bucket and tells me which end to use[:-))]

[/quote]To which of course the only response is : "If you're so good at it, you do it."[/quote]

[:D] He does, that is why he asks if I know which end to use[:-))]                he has been away for a month so I had better put the kids to work this weekend[:$]

We always had tablecloths at my late mums. There was also the undercloth (which stoped the teapot from making "rings" on the wood.) Once the meal was finished these were removed, after the tablecloth had been swept with a little silver brush and shovel.........Mr O says we were posh......then a lace tablecloth was put on.

I had some friends (and still do) and relatives who would not have anywhere to put a tablecloth![Www]

[quote user="Meg and Mog and dog"]

Catalpa, did they grow???!!!

[/quote]

No [:P] - the cat took to batting them around the floor and the dogs picked them up and "munged" them - lots of half chewed bits of potato spread around the floor turned out to be a design statment too far. [kiss]

I don't use one regularly but I think nothing beats a beautiful crisp white cloth tablecloth and napkins. I love using them in the summer when eating outside in the garden as well, looks beautiful outside with flowers on the table and all the greenery around. Again it is mostly when we have guests but I always feel it makes it a little more special even with my very ordinary cooking. [:)] Don't know about the plastic ones though, I too have never seen the point in them.

Meg & Mog, do you (or your dog) have any of the following: (a) pelmets (b) valances (c) doilies (e) something such as a doll with a huge crinoline dress to hide the spare loo roll  (f) a special-shaped brush to dust behind radiators (g) those little things on your table to rest your cutlery on to stop the tablecloth getting dirty (h) a special-shaped thing for getting the first slice out of a pie (i) grape-scissors (j) one of those things you plug into the wall which discharges nice smells (k) an After-Eight mints coaster?