Do you have a claim to fame?

Rose

Do you know someone famous or have you had your 15 minutes of Fame?  Jon was talking in another thread about meeting Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin... who else have you met?  I'll start by saying before having a family I used to sing and dance and once did a show at the Edinburgh Festival for Cameron Macintosh...

Come on then... your turn now! [:D]

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Please miss...me miss...me .....me

I went to the same school as Noel Redding (Hendrix's bass guitarist) and...and...and he had a group called "The Lonely Ones" and..and..he played at our youth club when he first started.

And

I knew Roy...you know, the one who played saxaphone (sp) in Emile Ford's Checkmates.

I reckon that sitting on Tommy Steele's knee beats mine because Roy sold car bulbs when I knew him.[:-))]

Hi, I am new to the forum but have been viewing it for over a year now (should really be spending my time viewing threads on legal issues, healthcare, registering cars, and all the other important things relevant to moving to France, but what the heck!!)

Haven't had the pleasure of sitting on the lap of anyone famous (more's the pity!) but my boring claim to fame is that my mother's cousin is Gordon Burns of 'The Krypton Factor' TV programme and my FIL's cousin is ex-footballer/ex-manager Graeme Souness. Also don't know if this counts but I have also competed in cross country for Scotland twice (obviously in my younger days!) and was also a member of a team that held an age group world record in a relay team (in fact I believe this record still stands).

regards

Betty

About five years ago, I was featured in the Sunday Observer and appeared on national TV.  My cousins (sisters) are very well known TV presenters.  Very remote but - an ex's best friend played in a (at the time) well known rock band so we got back stage passes to meet a lot of the big names of the time (Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy, Led Zep etc - I was a bit a heavy metal fan then...and still am [;-)] ).  More recently I had backstage passes to meet Atomic Kitten, Blue, The Honeyz The Sugababes, Damage, A1, Jonny Wilkes (a total misery guts!).....

As a teenager wanting to earn some pocket money, I used to babysit our maire's four children.

The maire was elected as an MP, later became Defense Minister and much later was fined a large amount of money for receiving some housing perks he should not have been entitled to... (so, nothing new in the current political housing scandal...[Www])

Many moons ago I picked Shane Macgowan of the Pogues out of the Urinals at Athens Airport.

I also shared a stage with Rowan Atkinson, he was the lead actor, I was in the 1st form and in a

bin liner on the side of the stage...

My OH in his much younger days lived in a squat in Zennor, Cornwall at the same time as singer Donovan. When living in central London, Pamela Anderson (Baywatch) was sitting at the next table to us with all her minders. Don't know why all the guys were drooling into their beer mugs for!! A couple of weeks later in the same pub, Matt Dillon (films include Crash and There's something about Mary) was sitting a couple of tables away from us but unfortunately he was smoking a big fat cigar which put me off him a bit (sorry but just don't like the smell of cigar smoke!)

Betty

Many years ago, my naked bottom was photographed for, and appeared in, an Australian newspaper, the Sydney Morning Herald.  I won't go into details, but it was to accompany an article they were writing on Byron Bay, and all in the best possible taste [:)]

I was a WAG once, many moons ago.    Unfortunately the then husband was very much "of the type", so I am happily a non-WAG now! [kiss]  [kiss]

Oh and I believe my Mum is related to Tommy Steele and my husband's family are the Fry's Choccy lot - sadly the skint branch instead of the mega-rich lot though! [:(]

Organised a new and expensive limestone floor for Trevor Eve's house in Sussex.. I remember he wanted to take a sample tile over to the States, where his wife Sharon Maugham was working. He changed his mind when he realised how big and heavy the tile was...

They sold the house a few months later and the new owners came to us for a new floor, as they preferred a wood... The tiler, who did the fitting also did the removal, pocketed a fair bit in th process when he sold the limestone on ...[Www]

I know the person who has the shortest inside leg measurement in Strathclyde Fire Brigade,and I once went into a pub in Glasgow and stood on the spot(or so I was told) that Rod Stewart had stood on 3 weeks before..

And my nephew suspended Robbie Williams from the BAFTA football team in Los Angelos for 2 weeks because he had no good reason for not turning up for training.

And I opened a car door for the Queen.  

Just thought of another one.

Denis Healey was a customer of mine many years ago.  When he called in one day my young children couldn't help but try to look at him without making it obvious, but you know what little kids are, Denis Healey said to them "So here's 3 children come to look at the funny man." One of my children got him to sign his autograph book into which he signed his name and underneath a face with bushy eyebrows with the inscription "Don't be a silly billy"

I have a picture of Denis shaking hands with my Dad at a local labour party meeting in Lancashire in the 60's.

Unless you are a serious petrolhead -the following will mean very little to anybody.

Last March I was acting as an amateur reporter for an internet sports car magazine.  I interviewed Hugues de Chaunac (a lifetime hero), Yves Courage, Luc Alphand, Alan Simonsen and Gregor Fisken.  In June, I was at Le Mans at the Scrutineering day, and leaning over the barrier watching the teams walk by. Gregor spotted me and came over and said hi and gave me a big hug.  In the background, I heard my friend say to my o/h "'Ere, that driver's just kissed your wife!"

I've been interviewed by Jeremy Clarkson.

Had a half-hour documentary film made of me and my raceteam (shown on Eurosport)

I know John Force (World Champion Funny-car driver).

Ron Haslam presented me with a signed oil painting at the rider of the year awards. (I've still got it)

Used to drink in a pub called the 'Hazel Slade' where a group you may have heard of used to play for beer money.

I've met Peter Sellers. (wonderful man)

I once spent the night on a railway platform with Herman and his Hermits.

I've got a ZZtop baseball cap given to me by Frank Beard (he's the one without the beard).

I still (I think) hold the record for 'bottle-walking' at Keithley College.[:)]