Stiff upper lips.

Colonel Mustard

I understand, Colonel, that it is an issue of class and breeding.  If an upper class person, such as your goodself, gets stung by three wasps on the lip at the same time, one would say something like: 'Oh my word, that's jolly inconvenient'.  One of your young sappers, however, would go running around shrieking and howling.

I am unsure what the middle classes would do.  I don't know any such people, Colonel, because you and I are a cut above such things, what?

I do so hate it when my brother goes over the top like that, but what can I do? I promised to give him some space if he sent he clear messages, but it wont be for long. He is such a twerp himself he makes me wanna cry.

Do you know, dear, weh I started wearing Sloggis he stole and burned them. He was just a foul-mouthed boozy beast!

Hated me cooking and ironing too.

Stiff upper lip indeed...[6]

[quote user="Cathy"]

I understand, Colonel, that it is an issue of class and breeding.  If an upper class person, such as your goodself, gets stung by three wasps on the lip at the same time, one would say something like: 'Oh my word, that's jolly inconvenient'.  One of your young sappers, however, would go running around shrieking and howling.

I am unsure what the middle classes would do.  I don't know any such people, Colonel, because you and I are a cut above such things, what?

[/quote]

No sapper worthy of the name would ever shriek or howl. Maybe a gravel cruncher would but not the RE [:P]

Comparisons are invidious. Suffice it to say I think that France has a strong class system. Members of the upper class live in a relatively closed and isolated world and concentrate themselves in the professions and close to government (though only a few actually become politicians). They live  and work discreetly, obtaining what they want through an extended family and social net of influence. They rarely marry outside their class except when there is money involved or they need fresh brood mares or studs. [6]

Class has been transcended by money!

Whilst the Noveau Riche would probably like think of themselves as Middle Class: in majority, their behaviour labels them as working class. Irrespective of the extent of their disposable wealth.

The average Daily Mail reader also likes to consider themselves as Middle Class.

Still, we are all guilty of self-delusion here and there!

Perhaps it's best summed up by the old American expression: "You can take the girl out of the trailer park: but you can't take the trailer park out of the girl!