Stiff upper lips.

Colonel Mustard

Well the last time I went to Croydon FB,...........................................I can well understand it!

Orrible place: no where easy to park; manic traffic and the centre dominated by an awful concrete pile.

Still, anyone who can have fancied the scrawny spotty-faced septic junky she was banging around with has IMHO a serious intellectual deficiency. [+o(]

[quote]

Comparisons are invidious. Suffice it to say I think that France has a strong class system. Members of the upper class live in a relatively closed and isolated world and concentrate themselves in the professions and close to government (though only a few actually become politicians). They live  and work discreetly, obtaining what they want through an extended family and social net of influence. They rarely marry outside their class except when there is money involved or they need fresh brood mares or studs.

[/quote]

In France, the widowed females of the species live in Arcachon (one hour west of Bordeaux) and have little dogs with knitted jumpers and wear a fox around their necks.

Dunno where I fit into this having 500 years of Burke's peerage Cornish aristos on one side of the family and a Geordie miner on the other.

Whatever, guys with wobbly upper lips are definately more to my taste than the "I will not whimper even if it kills me" types - what are they trying to prove exactly, and whom are they trying to impress?  In the front line of battle, I have no doubt there's a place for it, but otherwise, you can keep 'em![:D]

I was at Silverstone testing on the regular open weekday years ago, JE, when I stood on the old paddock balcony (over the pits) as Willy Green booted Tony Bamford's ex Le Mans V12 Ferrari 250 GTO through Woodcote and through the start-finish straight: on open pipes...........................

That made my top lip quiver and also brought tears to my eyes, as well as producing a frission of excitement up and down my spine!

Lap after lap!

[blink]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I think I'm in love, Gluey![:D]

I wept when Adrian Newey stuffed the GT40 into the barriers on the Mulsanne Straight at the Classic 18 month ago.  Boohooo! (But then I'm a soppy girly anyway, so it's allowed.)

JE.

[/quote]

I'd have wept, too, JE! They are so very rare now.

When I worked for Ford Europe, a young chum left the Apprentice school: and was immediately posted to Advanced Vehicles at Slough: which, of course was Lola!

Can you believe he often brought GT40s home? Spent all his salary on petrol! One weekend he came smoothing home in an experimental 7 litre version and not only spent all his money but was subbing from Mum and Dad!

Lucky blighter!

We had two or three at Ford's European HQ at Warley JE: all under the control of Walter Hayes who was in charge of PR and stuff.

Sadly I didn't manage to get my hands on one! Everything else!

I've been fortunate enough to drive most exotics including Lambos and Ferraris as well as Yank Musclebacks, like 7 litre Boss Mustangs, Camaros, Astons from DB4 to DBSV8 etc.

I even built the very first Cortina V6, pre Wilment days. We used Bengt Soderstrom's ex Safari car, bought from Fords at Boreham; and a development 3 L V6. A total beastie! Won points first time out in the old Redex Trophy at Brands!

But never, to my total chagrin, a GT40.[:(]