Hero or not

AnOther

Whilst I'm obviously pleased that everybody escaped from the air crash in the Hudson river and not wishing to denigrate the pilot or his skill but does he deserve the accolade of 'hero' ?

In my book no, a hero is someone who knowingly and seflessly puts his own safety at risk for the sake of others and in this case nothing of the sort happened, he was just doing his job.

It makes a good headline that's all.

I always said that them in Yoorp can't build a decent plane that can withstand a US of A bird.

As to whether the driver is a hero, take your pick (just cutted and pasted so links won't)

A hero (from Greek ἥρως hērōs[1]), in Greek mythology and folklore, was originally a demigod[2], the offspring of a mortal and a deity,[3] their cult being one of the most distinctive features of ancient Greek religion.

Later, hero (male) and heroine (female) came to refer to characters (fictional or historical) that, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice – that is, heroism – for some greater good, originally of martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence.

John

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Whilst I'm obviously pleased that everybody escaped from the air crash in the Hudson river and not wishing to denigrate the pilot or his skill but does he deserve the accolade of 'hero' ?

In my book no, a hero is someone who knowingly and seflessly puts his own safety at risk for the sake of others and in this case nothing of the sort happened, he was just doing his job.

[/quote]

Yes it makes a good news headline and catches the eye,  the whole emergency was dramatic to say the least.

All credit to the captain and crew that they kept their cool, remembered their training and that no lives were lost.

[quote user="Cendrillon"][quote user="ErnieY"]

[/quote]

Yes it makes a good news headline and catches the eye,  the whole emergency was dramatic to say the least.
All credit to the captain and crew that they kept their cool, remembered their training and that no lives were lost.
[/quote]

Are pilots trained to land on water?

Given the current cult of the worthless celebrity I'm happy for this pilot to be a hero. He'd be mine if I'd been pulled off the wing of that plane !

He may have been trained to make that landing but I've no doubt that if he made just a slight misjudgement then a number of people would have died. But he didn't, he kept calm and focussed in the face of a possible horrible death. Hero does it for me, may there be more Chesley Sullenberger's on the front pages and less Tara Palmer Wasteofspace's. [:)]

Come on someone, let me in on the secret, what crash?

Ernie.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[/quote]

Rather like the pompiers.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

[/quote]

So amateurs can be heroes, but professionals cannot? [8-)]

[quote user="Iceni"]I always said that them in Yoorp can't build a decent plane that can withstand a US of A bird.[/quote]

Errrr, like the Ryanair Boeing 737 brought down by mere starlings at Ciampino ....? Buckshot compared with the cannon-ball that is a Canada Goose at that speed!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

US federal aviation regulations for transport category aircraft consider emergency water landings as planned occurances therefore they are subject to training.

(FAR Part 25.1581)

[;-)]

[/quote]

The training is theoretical, no one does an actual water landing.

I would like him to be the pilot if I was going on a plane!!! Other professional pilots on the news have said he as they had only just taken off and the plane was quite low he would have had to think very quickly and stayed very calm indeed to land it as he did, as he also personally walked along the fusilage to make sure everybody was safe and out, I think that makes him a bit of a hero.

Yes a hero definitely.  You can have all the training in the world but never know how you will react in an extreme situation.

I would go further and say all the flight and cabin crew were heros.  I imagine the co-pilot had plenty to do during the emergency too and the cabin crew had to stay calm and efficient in the face of what must have seemed like certain death, clean underwear time at the very least.  'Professional' does not necessarily equate to 'not scared' and anyone who does the correct thing while knowingly being in danger is a hero in my book.

I bet none of the crew thought they were going for an impromptu boating trip when they turned up for work that day.

The difference with all of those scenarios is that nobody had any choice which surely is the determinator between doing what's to be reasonably expected of you given your position and training and actively putting yourself in a situation.

The problem of course is that the word 'hero' has passed into popular parlance to describe just about anyone who does something out of the ordinary and is devalued for it.